Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

• RMweb Premium

These might be of interest from when I did a walk from Millers Dale in April 2011:-

post-7822-0-70204300-1366227458_thumb.jpg

post-7822-0-92072200-1366227597_thumb.jpg

post-7822-0-00281700-1366227694_thumb.jpg

Another relic!

post-7822-0-85505900-1366227724_thumb.jpg

post-7822-0-99456300-1366227758_thumb.jpg

Off the viaduct, the ELR and Bridge Number (well viaduct). Wish I'd got some photos of the viaduct as returned along the road and climbed back to the level of the railway.

Rich

• Like 4

Ok so I had a little play with couplings last night. I have a train of HEA hoppers which are to be run as a fixed rake. As such I have applied DG couplings to the end vehicles so that they are compatible with the locos. Anyway I don't want to have to pay for and fit DGs to all of the wagons in the rake for them to never be uncoupled. To much coin and effort for nothing I reckon so my thoughts turned to fixed couplings. My initial thought was to trim the standard coupler and fit one end directly to the wagon to close the gap. Looks a million times better. Then I got thinking surely I can solder something up out of guitar string and fine chain that would look like pipework and couplings when attached. So I set about doing just that. One end of the wagon will have the coupler contraption and the other just a wire peg to sit in the slot in the coupler, viola. I wonder what peoples opinions are, whether they think the effort of soldering up the couplers is worth it over the adapted rapido.

post-6894-0-31115900-1366370112_thumb.jpg

Standard Rapido

post-6894-0-60614600-1366370155_thumb.jpg

Adapted Rapido

post-6894-0-86058100-1366370318_thumb.jpg

Bottom of unpainted contraption

post-6894-0-29010700-1366370350_thumb.jpg

Top of unpainted contraption

post-6894-0-55915200-1366370402_thumb.jpg

Wagons uncoupled showing weird coupler

post-6894-0-67361700-1366370446_thumb.jpg

Wagons Coupled - I accidently filled in the chain a bit with paint, maybe a bit of blackener instead is required.

Anyway thoughts?

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 17

So Peter is that any better?

attachicon.gif20130417_195756.jpg

Cav

Looking pretty good to me, it still looks like two little round holes/ recesses  at the bottom of the body need, I think to be filled. I am sure they were sandbox filling points. Other than that spot on and the neamplates will look superb once you have painted it blue.

Your other stock is looking good too the HST has come up really well as have the HEA coal wagons, I like the couplers too,  though for HEAs you would only need one brake pipe.

MRJ 113 and 115 1999 for the point rodding article, can't find the other article yet, will have a look tomorrow.

Cheers Peter.

Paitent them?

Hugh

Ok so I had a little play with couplings last night. I have a train of HEA hoppers which are to be run as a fixed rake. As such I have applied DG couplings to the end vehicles so that they are compatible with the locos. Anyway I don't want to have to pay for and fit DGs to all of the wagons in the rake for them to never be uncoupled. To much coin and effort for nothing I reckon so my thoughts turned to fixed couplings. My initial thought was to trim the standard coupler and fit one end directly to the wagon to close the gap. Looks a million times better. Then I got thinking surely I can solder something up out of guitar string and fine chain that would look like pipework and couplings when attached. So I set about doing just that. One end of the wagon will have the coupler contraption and the other just a wire peg to sit in the slot in the coupler, viola. I wonder what peoples opinions are, whether they think the effort of soldering up the couplers is worth it over the adapted rapido.

attachicon.gif20130419_121119.jpg

Standard Rapido

attachicon.gif20130419_120514.jpg

Adapted Rapido

attachicon.gifbottom resized.jpg

attachicon.giftop resized.jpg

attachicon.gif20130419_120321.jpg

attachicon.gif20130419_120257.jpg

Wagons Coupled - I accidently filled in the chain a bit with paint, maybe a bit of blackener instead is required.

Anyway thoughts?

Cav

attachicon.gif20130419_121119.jpg

Standard Rapido

attachicon.gif20130419_120514.jpg

Adapted Rapido

attachicon.gifbottom resized.jpg

attachicon.giftop resized.jpg

attachicon.gif20130419_120321.jpg

attachicon.gif20130419_120257.jpg

Anyway thoughts?

Cav

I believe that they were in 4mm. I think JSW was looking into it.

Anyway the concensus seems to be that they look good. I will therefore make a load of better ones as that one wasnt so good, I made it too short and had to bend it straighter than I wanted it. The ones for coaches would need to be pivoted at both ends and also feature a buckeye type coupler but I also have a design for that too so might make a prototype.

Cav

Edited by RBE

It is N gauge yes, really got the N bug now. Im even considering selling off all of my 4mm stuff now. Anyway a little play with couplings. Got myself some dg couplings and I must say Im very impressed. Easily built and work a treat. Heres a pre blackened one and a loopless one fitted to the 47.

attachicon.gif20130323_105543.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20130323_193944.jpg

Cav

Great looking layout concept - look forward to following this one.

I'm using MBD couplings on my layout, very similar to DGs. Any chance of a shot of how you mounted the coupling to the 47 please, especially the loop end with the tail. They've been the biggest challenge I've come across with MBDs on certain locos where space is tight.

Thanks

Edited by D1059

Hi Steve. The etch is trimmed width wise to fit into the NEM pocket and then folded over so that it can be simply pushed into the pocket held in be friction. Its a tight fit. I dont put the loops on locos as it looks better without just the delay latch so no issue with loop tails.

Cav

Hi Steve. The etch is trimmed width wise to fit into the NEM pocket and then folded over so that it can be simply pushed into the pocket held in be friction. Its a tight fit. I dont put the loops on locos as it looks better without just the delay latch so no issue with loop tails.

Cav

Thanks - I did something similar with the MBDs, but had to have the loops on one end as my layout is an end to end shunting operation

Once you perfect the coupler size, why not get them 3D printed rather than build them individually. Will be easier than soldering each one individually.

I have considered this. Does anyone with 3D printing knowledge have any idea what it would cost to print these? If it was a goer then I could do the designs for coaching stock and maybe do more realistic hose routing. As Peter (PCM) said the hoses were wrong for the HEA however it was more a case of getting something that worked and looked better than a rapido rather than going prototype accurate. With 3D printing I may be able to realistically do various versions for differing stock.

Cav

Depends how much material is used. If you need a surface thickness below 1mm then it'll got a little more. But it shouldn't cost that much. Probably comparable if take into costs such as metal, solder, flux, time. It wont take long to design in 3D its not large or particularly detailed. If you design one you can upload to shape ways and their system will give you a range of materials and tell you how much it'll cost and you don't need to buy any!

Sounds good. As a 3D CAD designer I reckon I could knock something up! As you say its not got a lot (or needs a lot) of detail so as long as it does the job and looks better than a rapido whats to lose? I'll do some prelims over the next few days and see what the crack is. Cheers.

Cav

Its perfectly do-able in OO I would say Andy. You wouldn't want them the same size as those though as they would be well under scale. Could do them pretty much bang on correct scale for OO I would think.

Cav

Its perfectly do-able in OO I would say Andy. You wouldn't want them the same size as those though as they would be well under scale. Could do them pretty much bang on correct scale for OO I would think.

Cav

That's interesting, I was looking at your pipes and wondering if I could just get away with using a pipe on each wagon hooked around each other as per a pair of fingers pulling apart if you understand what I mean. It would be permenantly coupled in a rake but would be almost buffer to buffer.

Andy

It would have very limited cornering ability though as there would be virtually no side play. The N ones I designed above will do a 1st radius curve.

Edited by RBE

It would have very limited cornering ability though as there would be virtually no side play. The N ones I designed above will do a 1st radius curve.

Sounds a better plan that 200 Kadees mate.

Andy