Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Yes I have seen pictures of the blue pullman there before. Its a bit before my layouts time though although it does if you squint give at least an impression of what the hst will look like going through there!

Cav

• Like 1

I used to take a sandwich, packet of crisps and something to drink in my grandad's old WW2 gas mask bag! There was a tea shop just down the road from the entrance to the station yard where you could (if I remember correctly) buy things like a Kit-Kat.

It looks like it's now a "luxury holiday cottage" http://www.wrigglytin.co.uk/aspx001/article.aspx?CID=5, a couple of interesting old pictures from bygone days.

That's really interesting. I always thought it looked like an old chapel whenever I've walked passed it. Pity it's still not a cafe as it would be rather convenient.

Marcus

Interesting that you should say that. I thought about a pw or train crew office. I have considered putting a vehicle entrance road across where the barrow crossing is at the platform ends and having it and its br van park in the old platform 4 and 5 location. That platform being demolished in my alternate reality. The office could be on the station platform though instead?

Perfectly feasible to have a P way gang located on the station in the period your modelling. When I started on the railway in 1993 my dad was on the P way located at Hatton on the Birmingham Snow Hill to Leamington line. Their mess room was a portacabin type building on the end of the platform. He later transferred to Henley in Arden gang where he was the gang bus driver. Unfortunately on privatisation all the local gangs were transferred to one location at Saltley.

Ill be modelling the wriggly tin of course and in its cafe guise as well. It was still open in the 80s I believe. I think Ill do the pw mess room on the ground where platforms 4 and 5 used to be. Its a nice place for it I think. Probably off down the signal box end. A few vans parked by the line down there should look good.

• Like 1

Thats very good. I like these old films. Ive never seen the line open in real life so its a nice way for me to get a feeling for what the line was like with trains running on it. Will be nice to see the steam trains replaced with 37s and 47s!!

Cav

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent topic - just wondered if you have seen the photos on the RCTS mystery photos site.

Amongst other things it suggests much of the track thereabouts had been relaid with jointed FB rail on wooden sleepers some time before closure.

http://rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/index.htm?location=Millers+Dale&srch=&page=1 (2 pages)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant piece of film. Gives a better impression of the scenery (awesome) than photos in the books.

I did travel the line once - but I was only two years old so don't remember anything of it. Family photo album shows that we were hauled by a Black 5.

A couple of hours spare last night so got the cosmetic refurbishment done on what will become my railfreight red stripe 37. No pics Im affraid but will post some after getting the primer on. Was just a case of removing nose handrails nose arials and filling the holes and then cutting off and filling the nose grilles and gluing the new etched steel ones in place.

I also spent an hour or so weathering one of my cement tanks. It was an exercise in developing the look really as these tend to weather in a more unusual way. Not really just a blow over of white as some seem content with. The real wagons build up normal track dirt over the powder spill which after a while flakes off revealing white powder again or bare tank. The thing to try to get is the contrast of the darker weathering with that of the white powder. This isnt easy and Im not sure that this wagon is there yet. It does need its airbrush applied powder and track dirt yet though so may improve a little after that, overall Im reasonably happy with it so far. I have 15 of these to practice on though so should get better!

post-6894-0-35045500-1387441574_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-75713600-1387441619_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 13

Had a little play with the NEM version of the 3D printed wagon couplers. I am liking the look of these, not a big step on for a coach version either I would say, however I don't have any NEM coaches to dim them up from.

Just uploaded to shapeways and will probably order a test batch shortly!

post-6894-0-03340300-1387579376_thumb.jpeg

Cav

• Like 1

They'll be fine, the NEM pockets pivot so no issue with pivoting on corners and I've left enough buffer clearance to hopefully take a 2nd radius which will be my minimum radius under the hillsides. The coach versions may need extra clearance but as I know nothing of N gauge coach NEMs I dont know if they employ the same cam style pivot action as their OO counterparts.

Of course these will sit below the bufferbeam so not 100% accurate but as good as it gets without three links and bufferbeam mounted pipes!

Cav

They won't of course work on locos though as their coupling mounts are not pivoting so would need a flexing coupler bar.

Another render, I had to thicken up the tip of the NEM as it wouldn't print but a less pointy end should make no odds.

post-6894-0-60313000-1387581441_thumb.jpeg

Cav

Edited by RBE

All looking good there Cav. Especially like the cement tank, that weathering is excellent. Can't wait until the "OO" versions get released. I shall be having a few for Kyle of Lochwilliam for the Alcan service. Looking forward to seeing some photos of the next 37.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1