Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

• RMweb Premium

I was looking at some drawings from the early 1960s, which indicated the canopy on Platform 2 would be cut back, and the buildings on the island platform would include a P-Way Inspectors office, and P-Way store. So interesting to speculate if such an office would be open in the 1980s, and if so an excuse for a BR van or two in the station car park!

Interesting that you should say that. I thought about a pw or train crew office. I have considered putting a vehicle entrance road across where the barrow crossing is at the platform ends and having it and its br van park in the old platform 4 and 5 location. That platform being demolished in my alternate reality. The office could be on the station platform though instead?

• Like 1

Cheers Marcus I have seen the site however for some reason never saw the extra photo link at the bottom. Useful.

Anyway managed to make a start on viaduct deck No 2 tonight. Small progress but some none the less. Just another 14 of these to make and we are cooking!

post-6894-0-37938000-1385332417_thumb.jpg

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 7

Cheers Al, yes the viaduct has 3 spans but each span is 5 of those lined up in a staggered configuration. Its a bit of a task and Ill be very glad when its done so I can start to get the track down and the like.

"Travellers Fare" at Millers Dale dreadful!! Sustenance for the platform enders watching the procession of quality traction.

I used to take a sandwich, packet of crisps and something to drink in my grandad's old WW2 gas mask bag! There was a tea shop just down the road from the entrance to the station yard where you could (if I remember correctly) buy things like a Kit-Kat.

It looks like it's now a "luxury holiday cottage" http://www.wrigglytin.co.uk/aspx001/article.aspx?CID=5, a couple of interesting old pictures from bygone days.

If you want to run authentic head codes and workings, here's the penultimate WTT for passenger trains 1966-67 a year before closure.

Stopping times are bold, else just passing times are shown. What strikes you is how quick trains were between stops despite the line being in its death throws and relatively sparse traffic by this time!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwh0av0jx8iphni/Peak%20Line%20Passenger%20WTT.pdf

Edited by Holmesfeldian

Thanks for those timetables. They will be a great help. Although I wont need headcodes I am intending to run the passenger services to a timetable with freights squeezed in between to make things interesting. Its good to see pretty much all the services I imagined.

Thanks Andy. Im pleased with it so far. Will be a bit of a slog though. I thought you might be excited to see me starting to build track!

Cav

Yes Ive made one of them, theres a post way back showing it. I dont have room yet at home to store 2 fully built boards. Im planning a new workshop so that I can do the other one. I will for now concentrate on getting the viaduct board done then move onto the station side after.

Thanks for those timetables. They will be a great help. Although I wont need headcodes I am intending to run the passenger services to a timetable with freights squeezed in between to make things interesting. Its good to see pretty much all the services I imagined.

As you might imagine, the Summer 1953 WTT will take rather longer to transcribe !  :rtfm: 

Hi Cav,

Just going through a few photos of Midland Pullmans on the internet and I stumbled across this of a blue Pullman at Millers Dale. If you scroll down to almost the bottom of the page, the photo is there. A nice excuse for you to potentially purchase one of the Farish models!

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page20.htm

Best regards,

Jeremy