Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Yes its been disappointingly slow progress on the layout itself. Im intending to use my time off over christmas to get the viaducts complete which should then open up the chance to get on with laying/building the track for board one.

Cav

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok primer on the 37 for those interested. I will be adding the yellow later! Will be keen to see this finished as red stripe buxton 37s were a firm fav as a kid! still need to do the bogie frame conversion on this too.

post-6894-0-18434600-1388575623_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I havent done any more since the point. I need to finish the viaducts first in order to have a trackbed to lay it on. These are coming along. I spent a couple of days cutting up and gluing plastruct the other day. Im about halfway through completeing viaduct deck 2 now so should be soon for the layout proper!

• Like 2

Thanks for sticking by Ian. The layout will be in much more focus this new year, Im hoping I can finish it before next christmas.

Same here - Invergowrie in it's latest reincarnation is still ongoing and will be done by Christmas but I am unsure of which year! - it has evolved into a study of all things Type 2 26 and 27 in various forms and liveries.

No point asking about exhibition dates then! but no rush whatsoever.

Cheers

Ian

Ok primer on the 37 for those interested. I will be adding the yellow later! Will be keen to see this finished as red stripe buxton 37s were a firm fav as a kid! still need to do the bogie frame conversion on this too.

attachicon.gif20140101_110311.jpg

Oooooooh very nice. Can't wait to see this with 688 paired up with some ICI hoppers. Looking good Cav.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Regards

Marcus

Edited by Marcus 37

I have a provisional for pontefract 2015 but nothing before that. I would like to be held to it as it should spur me on!

The type 2 Layout sounds interesting Ian. Do you have a link to the thread?

Marcus the 37 will be 682 I think, paired with 688 on roadstone hoppers or on its own on cement tanks maybe. Not sure the ICIs would have headed south?

Heres 682 sat on buxton. This will be my photo guide to finishing the loco.

post-6894-0-69727600-1388580702.jpg

Happy new year to all!

• Like 4

Hi Cav

Your right about the ICI hoppers not heading south which is a shame as they are pretty iconic. Mind you there's always some excuse, flooding in Doveholes tunnel blocking the line, points failure at Blackwell Mill junction. Oh dear they will have to come down to Millersdale to run round to head back North. See you can get away with anything LOL.

Regards

Marcus

I have a provisional for pontefract 2015 but nothing before that. I would like to be held to it as it should spur me on!

Marcus the 37 will be 682 I think, paired with 688 on roadstone hoppers or on its own on cement tanks maybe. Not sure the ICIs would have headed south?

attachicon.gif5977849122_7d49ec6c58_z.jpg

Happy new year to all!

Hi Cav, that's interesting about the I C I not heading south, with my new layout Wye Dale, which is just between Millers Dale and Great Rocks it will mean I wont have to worry about the I C I lwd bogie hoppers used in steam days on my layout. I can concentrate on the Coal and General traffic.

WE really cant wait much longer to see the Viaduct fitted over some timber that we call BASE BOARDS, hahaha

Good luck with the 37, I too love the red stripe and George and I used to see them at Eastleigh, Didcot, Newport and when we had a PROPER Boys day out also at Bescot. Remember we both lived on the South Coast in those days.

All the best for the project and 2014 in general.

Andy :sungum:

To be honest Marcus I would prefer to not have to scratchbuild a rake of ICIs if I can get away with it. It might become one of those things to do once the layout is finished and I want stocky things to do. The run around sounds interesting, however moves like that are not necessarily apparent at shows. The viaducts are coming on but as said before the second one requires 15 of the lattice spans which is no mean task to put together!

Run rounds en route are quite common practice and not just when things go wrong. Several of our trains are booked to do it at various locations. Can guarantee though that the heavens will open up though the minute you have to leave your nice warm cab to uncouple!!

Yes Im aware of scheduled run arounds however the ICIs at MD wouldnt necessarily translate on the layout. Also wouldnt the ICIs just take the direct route of the triangle south of peak forest to buxton instead of running around at MD and heading back?

Thats why I put the points failure at Blackwell Junction in the scenario. Trust me when things go wrong it normally happens in style. Got a wardrobe full of T shirts to prove it.

If its all manageable on scene, with loco's stopping behind ground position light signals, then a run round can be an interesting part of the operation. 

I may well add one just for interest sake. There will be stop offs and shunting moves taking off and attaching wagons that visit the distribution yard too in any case. I suppose the scenerio of the points failure at Blackwell can be added to the layout blurb.

If you don't fancy doing a whole train of ICI hoppers, one heading south to Derby Research might be a good excuse.

Sileby, N of Leicester, about 1982 - peak, GW-style test car and loaded ICI hopper:

post-6971-0-08872000-1388599039.jpg

Edit: in fact, Miller's Dale would be near enough Derby to imagine it as a route for test trains. They used to run from the RTC down to Leicester and beyond with all sorts in the 80s, so it wouldn't be stretching things too far to have some oddities running in the other direction.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 4

attachicon.gif5977849122_7d49ec6c58_z.jpg

Happy new year to all!

Pink Pullovers in Pontefract - excellent.

Theres something about Buxton shed in the snow it's the altitude! - Class image that one of bygone era only went once there to try and bunk in and that was in the height of a summer evening.

Ha ha  - the type 2 "layout" is more of an 18" square :) C&L and fine detail nothing to it but keeps the interest going - I like reading up about them and have collected some good publications I am sifting through - very much understated Traction in extreme circumstances - will update the Invergowrie thread sometime. 

post-7252-0-36317900-1388609917_thumb.jpg

Ian

• Like 5

I would love to see some photos of the bogie modification on your 37 when you get round to it - I've seen finished examples but some pictures of the surgery would certainly help my confidence in chopping mine!