Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Little more progress tonight. One more session should see the trusses finished and ready to apply to the deck.

attachicon.gif20140102_230400.jpg

Once again Cav a cracking bit of workmanship there mate. I take it you've been cooking again by the look of all those arches. I'm sure it will be stunning once they're all assembled. Can't wait!!

Regards

Marcus

Thanks Marcus. Yes the arches were curved in the oven. Not as consistent as the previous batch for some reason but good enough once tweaked by hand. The three trusses at the bottom will be th ones you see in any case which are rather good. The other 12 will be under the bridge so only seen through the trusses in front or looking up from the road below.

• Like 1

Wonderful stuff Cav, that will be some bridge, it looks impressive in real life but when its in a big N Gauge scenic board it will look majestic, even more so with a 37 pounding over with some aggregate wagons in tow.

Good stuff buddy. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

Cheers chaps. Im looking forward to seeing it planted on the baseboard too. Im now again in two minds as to whether to set the arched one lower than the other as the real ones are. Its quite noticable at rail level although not so from normal layout viewing angles.

Well thats my thoughts John, plus any photos that I take will show the levels I would imagine. The only issue is the drop in levels at the east end where the tracks diverge from the main to the freight loop. I may need to actually build the viaduct as a slight gradient to help the transition.

I'd be very interested to know the cooking instructions for the curved bridge arches.

I assume you fix them to a former to ensure a constant curve?.. Then is it gas or electric and at what temperature and for how long?

If you've posted about the technique before, I'm sorry I've missed it but could you could direct me to the correct page.

Thanks

Alan

Edited by 60091

Hi Alan, yes they are fixed to an old wooden chopping board between nails creating the curve. I hold the profiles flat with staples. We have an electric oven but it shouldnt matter if it was gas just make sure it is preheated. I used approx 110° for around 10 mins which worked great on the first few but over warped the rest. I guess I didnt wait for it to preheat properly. The temperature ought to be a bit lower I think. Would be better if you did a trial with your oven slowly increasing the temp until you get the results you want. All you need to do is relax the polymerisation of the styrene bonds.

Cav

Hi Alan, yes they are fixed to an old wooden chopping board between nails creating the curve. I hold the profiles flat with staples. We have an electric oven but it shouldnt matter if it was gas just make sure it is preheated. I used approx 110° for around 10 mins which worked great on the first few but over warped the rest. I guess I didnt wait for it to preheat properly. The temperature ought to be a bit lower I think. Would be better if you did a trial with your oven slowly increasing the temp until you get the results you want. All you need to do is relax the polymerisation of the styrene bonds.

Cav

Thanks Cav

I do a lot of plastic modelling - not just rail stuff so I can think of plenty of uses for this technique. I've got a gas oven so I'll definitely try a few experiments and see how things turn out.

Alan

No worries I look forward to seeing what you do with it! Back to the viaduct, after 4 hours tonight I have now completed 11 of the 15 trusses. These things take way longer than you think. Should have the last 4 done tomorrow I hope!

post-6894-0-60917000-1388882269_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 4

Well just done the final 4 so will be getting them built into a bridge deck over the next week. I dont think Ill be building any complex steelwork again for a while! Bit like having too much to drink though I suspect. You say never again and then once you have forgotten the bad bit you look at your work and say hmm I might build another one of those!

Not a view often seen in photos that one. Cheers for that! That will be the view I get operating the layout albeit My head will be higher. I'm actually thinking i will operate from the end  towards Litton as craning over the fiddle yard will get tiring! The fiddle yard operator/signalman will be back there in any case!

• Like 2

Not a view often seen in photos that one. Cheers for that! That will be the view I get operating the layout albeit My head will be higher. I'm actually thinking i will operate from the end  towards Litton as craning over the fiddle yard will get tiring! The fiddle yard operator/signalman will be back there in any case!

My place then hehehe :)

Haha you want to be signalman? I was planning on you sitting at the buxton end managing the distribution yard if I'm honest. Shunting being your bag!

Sounds like a good plan, i do like a little bit of shunting haha ill give you a wave every now and then hahah

Hi Cav,

I've enjoyed catching up with all of these pages and can't believe that I haven't commented before so;

Superb work, Sir!

Keep up the good work and I'll keep enjoying!

Cheers,

John E.

Cheers John, glad to have you along!

Well today I have my 3D printed NEM couplers. They work a treat. The current spacing will go around 1st radius curves. They also work as couplings to locos too surprisingly!

post-6894-0-86863400-1389029386_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-99034900-1389029436_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-07779400-1389029452_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Last year at Model Rail Live the two guys operating Diesels in the Dutchy were so bored they were posting messages on here to and from each other, :no: :no: :no: :no: hahha.

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P