Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Some superb work on here - I've only recently joined and have been busy catching up with all 43 pages. Also prompted me to give my Peak 'the op' the other day. Those couplings look great - are they available for sale? Apart from anything else, I'm wondering whether they might be the solution to Dapol mk3's uncoupling in mid-HST rake. I'm looking forward to seeing this layout come together, Meantime, you might like the pics on my own recent gallery...

• Like 2

Thanks Ian great to have you on board. I would be happy to do some NEM couplers to work in Dapol mk3s and look like a buckeye and pipes but I dont have a pair to test them with. I made the farish ones so that I could propel my set more confidently as the standard n gauge ones dont like to be pushed.

Some superb work on here - I've only recently joined and have been busy catching up with all 43 pages. Also prompted me to give my Peak 'the op' the other day. Those couplings look great - are they available for sale? Apart from anything else, I'm wondering whether they might be the solution to Dapol mk3's uncoupling in mid-HST rake. I'm looking forward to seeing this layout come together, Meantime, you might like the pics on my own recent gallery...

Nice pics Ian.

Andy :sungum:

Nice layout btw.

Thanks. The Mk 3 couplers would be excellent. Some of the Dapol ones don't even like being pulled! Pity as they're really good models otherwise. Not sure if I can assist in any way - how are you working out the optimal length for each type of coupler bar to be?

• Like 1

Im putting the stock onto the tightest curve that they need to traverse and pushing them together measuring the distance between coupling boxes and adding a smidge. If you have a spare pair of mk3s you could lend me for a couple of days that would allow me to measure em up.

• Like 1

Cav, Just had a read of the coupling info and also had a look at the webb site, it all seems to be coming together nicely considering its not that long ago you were looking for work, well done Buddy and catch up again very soon I hope.

All the best.

Andy. :sungum:

Cheers Andy, things are going well as you say. The 3D prints arent really any kind of business to be honest as Im just trying to give people the oportunity to have access to the stuff I make for myself really. However if anyone does want something special Im willing to design something up as I did with Jeremys lamps for instance.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Cheers Andy, things are going well as you say. The 3D prints arent really any kind of business to be honest as Im just trying to give people the oportunity to have access to the stuff I make for myself really. However if anyone does want something special Im willing to design something up as I did with Jeremys lamps for instance.

Just to throw something into the mix, if you can stand the pun... one thing I've really been pondering is how to do a bulk cement powder lorry to go with my silo. I don't mean a mixer, I mean a powder transporter, early '80's style. I have a few collected photo's, but there seems to be nothing commercial available. I'm wondering whether 3D printing might be the way forward. Don't worry Cav, I'm not dropping hints ;-) as I suspect that would be a pretty involved job - but how do you go about producing an item and is the CAD side of things difficult to pick up? Is there any cheap, suitable software available? Anyone know anything - or have an other ideas for sourcing such a vehicle? It needs to be highi-fidelity.

Im sure I could do one however it may be pricey. You would need to use one of the high detail plastics. Do you have a picture of the truck that you can attach? As for using CAD Im a CAD designer by trade so easy for me however it can be picked up, there are a good few examples of work that people have done and free modelling packages over in the 3D modelling section. You should check it out.

I'll give it a look. Not wanting you to take on loads of things like this - but as you asked, see here for pictures... Something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46315577@N04/6761918615 or more probably this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/57425719@N08/5816275710 I'm also still half-wondering whether I could hack it out of plastikard, Geoff Kent-style.

Ah, older looking than I had imagined. Im sure a little 3D printed kit would work. The cabs would be very fragile though with the split screen and very thin bars between the windows. They wpuld probably have to be beefed up a little. Fibe details like pipework etc are best added after with wire or etches.

Major progress I would say tonight. All arches made so far attached to the deck. Once fully dry I will add the connecting steelwork between the spans and across beneath the bridge. Really happy with how this is going. Not sure if the complexity is evident on the pics but in person it looks tres cool!

post-6894-0-31186700-1389132247_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-50086800-1389132261_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-88803700-1389132274_thumb.jpg

• Like 6