Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Sorry if I've missed a previous comment, I couldn't see anything. How did you do the handrail recesses so neatly? It was the thought of hashing it up completely that put me off

jo

The station buildings at Millers Dale were demolished sometime after station closed in March 1967 but before the route closed in 1968. The canopy over the up fast platform had also been removed at the same time.

I presume this was too early for anyone to measure them up.

Maybe. There could be some drawings in the archives at matlock which I will checkout before I decide what to do. The original buildings I think would shout Millers Dale but newer ones might be a nice indicator that this is a modernised station in the 80s?

Sorry if I've missed a previous comment, I couldn't see anything. How did you do the handrail recesses so neatly? It was the thought of hashing it up completely that put me off

jo

It turned out a bit scarier than I thought Jo. The handrails are very thin in the grand scheme of things so those slots need only be very narrow too. I ended up carefully scraping them out with the sharp tip of a round needle file along a steel ruler. Probably about 100 passes on each Id guess. Slow and steady so as not to slip but worth it I reckon. Edited by RBE

Thanks Cav, definitely a case of slow and steady then! It's defnitely something I'll bare in mind if I do another.

I was contemplating how overscale model handrails can sometimes be when looking at the flimsy looking ones on the 08 at work, so I can appreciate how small those recesses have to be!

jo

Thanks guys. Anyway I have chosen 31445 not least because 445 existed as a preformed number on my decal sheet so only had to place 31 and 445, much better than doing individual numbers! Of course I had to make sure it suited my loco and intially was concerned after finding pictures of it in '88 with the reinforced drivers window frame. Grr. A bit more digging though revealed it to have gone in for the work to be done and a freshen up of the blue in August that year so fits fine with my June '88 layout period. Anyway heres where shes currently at, panelling and weathering next then!

post-6894-0-05165100-1432802106_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Ok a start on the weathering. Cruel close up really but it looks good in the flesh. This is just the start after picking out the characteristic class 31 blue paint fading in patches, especially down the cab sides, and the first layers of washes to bring out moulded detail and pretty much create the panelling to the front ends. Next up will by some airbrushing to really mucky the sides after which I will do the panel lines. These will be done after the airbrushing on this occation as any drawn on panelling would be hidden under the blown paint should it have been done first. Nothing done with the chassis yet.

post-6894-0-18776600-1433021613_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 11

Bit more done. Airbrushing applied, panel work added. Not far to go now, just need to varnish in the panelling and add further oily deposits and runs along the lower parts of the lines before adding door handrails and glazing.

post-6894-0-91552100-1433225903_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-39522400-1433225921_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Nice work Cav, 

The old Ped is looking just how I remember them.

This was a nice grubby one taken at Derby while I was out chasing the last of the Peaks.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-79185100-1433227512_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 9 months later...

Hi thanks for the interest. It will get finished, however when is the question right know. I do not really have the space or time to dedicate to the project as it is rather large for doing in the house. I plan on building a workshop over the next few years so when that is done I will be in a better position to carry on and do it justice. For now Burton on Trent is taking up my time and will be my exhibition layout for the forseeable future.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 05/03/2016 at 20:04, RBE said:

Hi thanks for the interest. It will get finished, however when is the question right know. I do not really have the space or time to dedicate to the project as it is rather large for doing in the house. I plan on building a workshop over the next few years so when that is done I will be in a better position to carry on and do it justice. For now Burton on Trent is taking up my time and will be my exhibition layout for the forseeable future.

Thought i'd give this a *bump* Cav.

Cheers Ian,

I doubt that the project will get completed now due to time etc, at least in the forseeable future.

BoT and Cavalex commitments are taking my railway time at the moment and other modelling and none modelling projects  take time too, moving forward it will probably make more sense to possibly extend BoT to include the junction onto the coalville branch, who knows. The fiddle yards and wiring are due a major overhaul soon as the behind the scenes stuff has been to sole issue that I've had running the layout at shows so far.

Regards

Cav

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have just recently found this thread and have just finished reading (most of) it. I realise it’s not been updated for a while and I’m not a modeller in these scales myself but really appreciate the effort that has gone into the project so far. I also live close by and visit the old station regularly and there is one detail that has been referred to several times in this thread that I may be able to offer some info on....apologies if I missed that someone has already done this!

It concerns the reason for the different levels of the West ends of the two viaducts and thus the variations of heights of island platforms 2 & 3 adjacent to them. It’s because both pairs of tracks....ie the original and the later pair....had to cross the road leading up to the station (the two road bridges are immediately before the station’s barrow crossing). This road is quite steep and even though the later (therefore uphill) road bridge is a plate girder type and the original is a masonry arch, the tracks here still had to be that bit higher to maintain the 10’ 3” headroom, as set by the original bridge.

In a post a good few pages back, someone linked to a set of recent photos of the area, including this one looking down the road under both bridges which showed this feature:-

Road bridges

Here’s hoping this amazing project will continue one day!

Cheers   Don

Edited by don9f
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have just done the trawl in 2 days - Bloody amazing concept, execution and right up my street. I too was a spotter in the late 80's - mostly at Clay Cross junction - some of this has taken me right back! Absolute classics were 56/58's on MGRs, 47/4 or 47/8's on Cross Country, HST's in all different liveries, double 20's and of course double headed Thornaby 37/5's on steel... Brilliant stuff. Absolutely looking forward to seeing this project get back on it's feet one day, the work you've done already is absolutely fantastic and inspirational.

Might have to brave looking at the Burton thread now, but not much of the weekend left! :-)

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1