Jo's N gauge loco works

Good luck with this, Jo. Effectively you have to change the relative sizes of the portions of the body between the cabs. Luckily the radiator area isn't so different (deeper grille, but the same length IIRC) but a couple of spare 66 bodies would go a long way to help to get the new matching ribbed side sections needed. Nice job on the bogies!

Morning guys,

Wagons you say Neal? Hmmm...(whistles innocently) there is this one http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43870-jos-n-gauge-wagon-works/?p=1965028

Well it's a start at least! :-)

Cav, I'll post any results when I have a go with them.

Alex, there's plenty more 60s to come in the future, don't you worry! I had an interesting conversation with a driver the other day who was singing the praises of the 60s. 59s are the traction I've grown up with really, those distinctive Yeoman and Hanson long stone trains make a mark in a kids memory! Not sure I've got the space to model one of those Jumbo trains though!

Yeah the silhouette will cut styrene, the bogies are from 10 thou sheet, I've got a decent stock of 5, 10 and 20 thou for future works. Good old ebay! Thicker sheet you can score and then snap out.

Bernard, the thought of chopping a second body did cross my mind yesterday. I'm not sure I can get the cuts neat enough to preserve the ribbing detail though. My initial idea is to sand back the ribbing and make replacement ribs on the Silhouette cutter from 5 thou plastic. As I said I'm not going to rush this, I can experiment with different methods, starting from the least destructive option and working up!

jo

Cheers Jo.

Cutting and shutting is easier than you think. In N gauge its eaven easier. When I cut and shut the two class 150 bodies to make the class 318 for Outon road I was very nervous. As it turned out it was so good I didn't even need any filler to hide the join. It was 100% perfect. The 59 body should be a doddle!!

It's not so much the process I'm worried about, it's user error and potential for cock ups! If I do go down the cut and shut route, I'm thinking razor saw to do the damage. If it was something smooth sided, like a 47 for example, I think I'd be more confident!

jo

Hmm I'd be more nervous. Hiding cock ups on a smooth sided item is harder I feel. It has to be perfect. A fussy bodyside confused the eye a little easier I think. With the 318 I razor sawed slightly long and rubbed back with wet and dry paper on a flat surface until I got to the line I'd marked with a set square. Worked perfectly.

Alex, there's plenty more 60s to come in the future, don't you worry! I had an interesting conversation with a driver the other day who was singing the praises of the 60s. 59s are the traction I've grown up with really, those distinctive Yeoman and Hanson long stone trains make a mark in a kids memory! Not sure I've got the space to model one of those Jumbo trains though!

Yeah the silhouette will cut styrene, the bogies are from 10 thou sheet, I've got a decent stock of 5, 10 and 20 thou for future works. Good old ebay! Thicker sheet you can score and then snap out.

jo

Phew, I am relieved! Good news....

Thanks for the info on The Sillouette cutter, very useful. I am very tempted to get one, I know that I would definitely use it for bits for Boxenby, especially now knowing it will cut styrene.

I think you would have more than a little struggle trying to keep fine strips of 5 thou. straight, let alone parallel and evenly spaced. I'd have to check, but I think may be sufficient 'long' stretches of corrugated sides not to need joins within a panel if you start with two bodies. I wouldn't advise trying to mix a Dapol and Farish 66 though - choose one or the other for donor parts.

I like the set square idea Cav, sounds like a good help. The wagon I linked to further up is a cut and shut, but that used copious amounts of filler.

I have got a spare 66 I could use the body as a donor for the ribbed sections. Conveniently this would also give me another NRN aerial (59s have two) as well as being able to use the taller grills (it's a low emission 66) to replicate the taller clean air grill on the 59.

I was looking at a 59 next to a 66 earlier and because it's the hood section that needs stretching, it will need a joint somewhere on that panel. At least the fixed section that's below the silencer should be able to remain untouched, albeit shortened

jo

Jo and I went out to photograph the possession between Thingley and Bath, on the way back we caught a diverted 6B33:

post-146-0-77243900-1439661286_thumb.jpg

We were actually having some fun with a little photography plank I made, whilst taking pictures of the TDAs for my Shapeways shop; but the loco and stock are Jo's wonderful workmanship so I figured I should post it here!

All the best,

Jack

• Like 11

Now that looks amazing! Really nice work on the plank and adding in that background, I can't believe how well the models turned out! It must have been one of those days, trains in cloud, background nice sun!

Where was the background picture taken? It works really well as a background to the scene.

jo

• RMweb Premium

Phew, I am relieved! Good news....

Thanks for the info on The Sillouette cutter, very useful. I am very tempted to get one, I know that I would definitely use it for bits for Boxenby, especially now knowing it will cut styrene.

Hi Alex,

(Apologies to Jo for the hijack). Here's a link to using a Silhouette cutter. One of them is also on my "to buy" list for use on Deadman's Lane for building work

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Jo, am I right in thinking you were building a 59 from a 3d print at one point? Is this project a result of not bring able to live with the compromises of during a 66 chassis, the cancellation of the DJM 59 - or a bit of both? Or perhaps you've just decided you can do it better now - I certainly feel there's a kind of 'ability creep' as recently completed models show up older ones.

Another question - I've recently sourced a second EWS 66 from Farish, only it's missing a buffer - any ideas on a suitable replacement, or have you always just reused the originals on your projects?

The picture above looks fanatic btw - the colours on that Murco tanker looks spot on!

Yes I certainly did build a 3D printed 59, it was done as 59004.

The chassis on that was pretty heavily hacked about, I was really happy with how it came out. I haven't had it out for ages, mainly due to the running quality of the early Dapol chassis I used. As for an RTR 59? I've given up holding my breath on that, whether Dapol or DJM. If one appears at some point, and it's nice, I'll get one. Maybe a few. If it doesn't, so be it. I just fancied doing another 59 to be honest and since 59201 was the first loco I worked with and rode then it made sense as a candidate and gave me the kick to look into modelling another one. I've not had chance to do any modelling since the last post due to work, but have had plenty of inspiration from the real ones!

Buffers I'd recommend either TPM or N gauge society, either called square oval or class 59/60 style, though let me have a look in the bits box. I'll send a PM

jo

Jo and I went out to photograph the possession between Thingley and Bath, on the way back we caught a diverted 6B33:

attachicon.gif60021 - 6B33.jpg

We were actually having some fun with a little photography plank I made, whilst taking pictures of the TDAs for my Shapeways shop; but the loco and stock are Jo's wonderful workmanship so I figured I should post it here!

All the best,

Jack

Superb Jack, loving the Murco TDA, excellent modelling. Nice work on 021 Jo.

Always nice to see a 60 on bogie tanks!

• 5 years later...

As I promised on my rolling stock thread here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43870-jos-n-gauge-wagon-works-building-painting-and-weathering/page/5/ I've got an update on the loco front too. Wow I can't believe it's been five years since I posted to this thread? Not much has changed, it's still 60s rolling off the workbench! The last couple of months I've been working on 60065 'Spirit of Jaguar'. It's a Farish model of 60035, repainted yellow ends (so the yellow light clusters match) and cooler group roof grills (grey to maroon), everything else is factory finish under a coat of weathering. Here's a guide to the bulk of the work, the condition is roughly 2013 but from a range of photos. This loco's appearance changed quite a bit, first the ploughs were painted yellow, then the yellow light clusters were replaced with black, bodyside letters and numbers went from maroon to white, DB stickers were added and patch painting applied as time progressed.

IMG_7411-01.jpg.64d8578230dffef70e15e76b91675715.jpg

All the decals were designed by myself, printed as an early experiment in my venture with Steadfast Models (yes, spot the 60 link!) and are produced using photos of the real loco, so the texture on the letters and numbers is photo realistic, all from photos in the 2013-14 period.

The cab interiors feature my decals as well, the Farish model has plain black mouldings, and adding the distinctive colours of the real thing does lift the model I feel, despite the small size. In the leading cab (fitted at the number 1 end) I've added a driver figure from a Preiser unpainted pack and a jacket made from some paper coloured with an orange pen! The sun blinds are simply grey paint inside the window. At the number 2 end 065 has replacement black blinds, if anyone is interested for their model! 

IMG_20201109_175126.jpg.cc5a86db6e4bc5710f22ff0d24493376.jpg

I've modified one of the snowploughs to allow a coupling to be fitted at the trailing end of the model, it's easy enough to do but does result in a couple of weak spots in the bottom corners of the aperture. These have strengthened with superglue soaked tissue on the reverse face. Air pipes and coupling are from the Farish detailing pack.

IMG_20201109_175511.jpg.959098c1983b7609ad47143dbd129b5e.jpg

Finally a few more photos of the completed model - I can't wait to get it on the layout. It might make a nice super shunter alongside the 08!

IMG_7410.jpg.c56fe896bd083db645d104de145894a2.jpg

IMG_7420.jpg.7da41ebd08d5e82044effb5a8229ea13.jpg

IMG_7413.jpg.b46b8032e777f1d9c5fb3c59e407ac36.jpg

IMG_7417.jpg.e3f8829fee72eac3ad16dd6baf589a1d.jpg

Any questions or comments please fire away!

Hopefully I'll have more updates in less than five years

Jo

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 8 months later...

A couple of pics linked from my Flickr of the most recent loco off the bench. A Farish Colas shell on the chassis of a 37/0 I'd had for ages.

Colas 37421

Colas 37421

Factory paint job, weathered using a mix of washes and enamel paints. The underframe is built up in layers of browns and greys, with some greasy washes over the fuel tank for that spilled diesel look. 

Snowploughs modified to mount on the bufferbeam so they don't rotate with the bogie on curves and driver added. The PCBs for the lights have been filed down too to lower the gap between body and bogie to something more realistic.

Just need to do the yellow carriages to go with it now.

Jo

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Jo,

I follow your layout, but only just stumbled across you loco workbench, great stuff. The 37 there is very good. I find it hard to do a grubby diesel without getting carried away and over doing it, but I think you've got just the right amount of weathering there. 

All the best,

Dave 

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. In some ways I think the paler liveries make it easier as the subtle dirt shows more clearly, but equally that makes it more obvious if you do overstep it! This is the first 37 I've done, and I was a bit worried about how the dirt on top of the yellow end would come out as it's a distinctive part of the weathering on a 37. Looks ok I reckon.

Jo

• Like 1

• 1 year later...