Schubert

After interfering in other peoples layouts for a number of years, and never actually completing a layout myself, (hence the username) I have decided to 'make a start' on another layout, one I am determined to complete. This is where I need the good folk of RMWeb to come in and offer encouragement, criticism and suggestions, (helpfull or otherwise) to spur me on.

My 'proposed' layout will be based around the St John's Crossing area of Stockton on Tees. This is the location of what is purported to be the worlds first railway ticket office, and the terminus of the Stockton to Darlington Railway. Much of what was here has long since disappeared, with only the ticket office and the outline of the coal staithes remaining.

After passing the ticket office the line crossed Bridge Road as a single track level crossing, past some holding sidings, and then on towards Stockton riverside, finaly terminating on Corporation Quay.

My plan is to include the level crossing, miss out the holding sidings and finish in a set of sidings and headshunts surrounded by warehouses and industry. So basically a freelance design but with most of the buildings being either copies of or based on real examples from the Stockton area.

Timeframe is probably going to be 1950 to 1966, which means I can run (worn out) steam and green diesels. Both of which provided a decent variation in types around Teesside in that period.

Oh and the final point, space is at a premium, so I'm looking at around 5 feet for the scenic section. However the track plan will be designed in such a way that I can extend the scenic section at a future point in time without too many problems.

Schubert

Schubert,

Good luck.  Unfortunately I have to drive through St john's crossing every day.  What a mess it is at the moment.  Do you intend to model the 'ticket office' and the little bit of a platform that is behind Halfords?  The ruin of St Johns would make a good back scene.

Penrhos

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the area is a total battlefield at the moment!

Al - this is a pleasant surprise! I'm sure you told me you were going to start a thread, but it obviously went in one ear and out of the other...

Once this is underway I'll be coming round to pester you, see the rats and nick chocolate biscuits off Jayn. And you can run that lovely class 28 on here, can't you?

Jeff

Al

I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. It certainly sounds like a great deal of thought has gone into the location, era and compression.

No doubt you will have all the encouragement, feedback and suggestions normaly associated with the Lunesters.

Duncan

I too have to drive through those roadworks every day on my way to work, they are a real pain, especially when they close a lane off without prior warning!

I am going to include the ticket office, I've already taken photo's and measurements, and started on it's construction. The platform behind halfords was part of Stockton goods yard, and even with selective compression would make the layout too wide. I am thinking of putting in a platform though, probably a timber structure near the ticket office, bending history a bit and saying the S&D built it for wokers trains due to the amount of industry nearby in the 1900's. This means I can run 2 coach trains and 2 car DMU's.

Jeff - Don't even think of coming round and offering 'helpfull' suggestions and reasons for me to spend money! You're welcome to come round for biscuits though.

I'll try and post a couple of pics of the work on the ticket office when I get home.

Al

• RMweb Premium

I too have to drive through those roadworks every day on my way to work, they are a real pain, especially when they close a lane off without prior warning!

I am going to include the ticket office, I've already taken photo's and measurements, and started on it's construction. The platform behind halfords was part of Stockton goods yard, and even with selective compression would make the layout too wide. I am thinking of putting in a platform though, probably a timber structure near the ticket office, bending history a bit and saying the S&D built it for wokers trains due to the amount of industry nearby in the 1900's. This means I can run 2 coach trains and 2 car DMU's.

Jeff - Don't even think of coming round and offering 'helpfull' suggestions and reasons for me to spend money! You're welcome to come round for biscuits though.

I'll try and post a couple of pics of the work on the ticket office when I get home.

Al

I think you need a therapeutic running session in the next week or two. By the end of the week I should have all the lines open, so bring some locos and let's have some fun! You could even bring some biscuits, but I won't make any suggestions....

I know HOW EXPENSIVE some of your ideas are when you chuck them at me!

Looking forward to watching the scratchbuild aspect of this one - as I know how methodical you are with your research and measurements.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Al, I'll try to give all the encouragement I can. I negotiate those road works to in the afternoon though as I start and finish early (3.30 pm) so traffic isn't too bad. It's great that you are modelling part of Stockton's lost past. It's good that the ticket office is still there and being looked after as well as the road over the old track bed being called 1825 way. It might be worth a phone call or visit to the Ken Hoole collection at Darlington museum to see if they have any useful info and pics about the area.

Hi Penrhos,

No it's a fictitious bridge, based on NER designs, made to fit a specific location on version 1. The fact that you thought it was for the old North Shore branch tells me I must have got something right :no:

Rowsley:

I've managed to find a few pictures on the Picture Stockton website, but forgot about the Ken Hoole collection.I might try and pop over next week when I'm off.

Al

Apologies for the link above, but I was trying to post from a mobile phone :nono:

Here are the pictures I was trying to post...

the only work carried out to date, two walls of the ticket office!

HPIM0982.jpg

The road over bridge from version 1

HPIM0983.jpg

And finally a little taster of one of the items of rolling stock I plan to run...

van.jpg

Morning chaps,

Time for a little update.

Not much has happened lately, this is going to be a 'slow burner' im afraid, not like Kirby Luneside where a complete layout appears practically overnight!

I have been doing some thinking though, I'm trying to decide whether to build in either OO Fine Scale or EM.

I'd like to go EM but quite a bit of my stock is used on my local club's layout which is OO FS. Saying hat though the club layout isn't due to make its first appearance until March 2014, and then oly does about two exhibitions a year. So I could go EM and swap wheel sets when necessary but it would be a bit of a pain. And before Anyone suggests it I can't afford to have two of everything, one EM one OO !

Building the track Doesn't bother me as I hand built all the points on the mark one layout myself.

What are your thoughts?

Al

I can see your dilema. Not a choice I'd like to have to decide on.

The locos having a seperate wheel set wouldn't be too much of a problem but the rolling stock would be more difficult if not impossible. There is also the possibility of damaging rolling stock when swapping the wheel sets.

I suppose a lot of it depends on how much of your stock is going to be run on the club layout and at exhibitions.

I'd like to see Stockton in EM, but, due to the other problems, I would be tempted to go with 00 FS to allow everything to run on both.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Honest opinion? Go EM a it looks far better. Yes you won't be able to run stock on the club layout but which would you rather operate and which one will get more use? Your layout every time so don't compromise is my answer. End of the day, if you don't build it to EM, will you later regret it?

• RMweb Premium

Morning chaps, Time for a little update. Not much has happened lately, this is going to be a 'slow burner' im afraid, not like Kirby Luneside where a complete layout appears practically overnight! I have been doing some thinking though, I'm trying to decide whether to build in either OO Fine Scale or EM. I'd like to go EM but quite a bit of my stock is used on my local club's layout which is OO FS. Saying hat though the club layout isn't due to make its first appearance until March 2014, and then oly does about two exhibitions a year. So I could go EM and swap wheel sets when necessary but it would be a bit of a pain. And before Anyone suggests it I can't afford to have two of everything, one EM one OO ! Building the track Doesn't bother me as I hand built all the points on the mark one layout myself. What are your thoughts?

It's all relative, Al (sorry, that's an old Physics joke). I've been at KL since last June. It's bodgit who conjures masterpieces in a week!!

You COULD go EM - you were planning that about 5 years ago. If you have EM options at the club, go for it. If you want to run stuff on KL then stick to OO FS. Personally, unless you enjoy re-wheeling and building EM, I don't see the point. At the end of the day, to my eyes, the extra width isn't noticeable unless you specifically look for it.There are more important concerns on a layout - context, scenery, atmosphere etc.

However, if you like fiddling - and you are ACE at that - then go EM.

Jeff

EDIT: Whatever you do - choose NOW - or you'll live up to your name again!  :O  :jester:

I've been re-reading my original post about this.

I supose a question needs to be asked. What is your main area of interest? Is it accurate locos and rolling stock, scenery, buildings etc? The answer to this question may give you the answer as to the track.

Just my thoughts

Duncan

Al, I've been considering EM too, but as I don't have much stock at the moment, and no club layout that needs my stock, I probably have a freer hand than you do.  

I don't think you can realistically keep a foot in both camps with exchangable wheelsets, perhaps for rolling stock, but it will become a massive chore, certainly not for locos (having discussed it with some EM people, there is a lot to do to convert 00 to EM, with pickups, motion, and gears being the main ones).

What do you see as the problems with 00-SF that make you want to switch to EM?  Are the problems big enough to warrant the change?

• RMweb Premium

Well im from middleton St george ! 

Good luck on your layout .

I almost bought a house there in 2001. Use to go through MSG regularly as my fiancee lived in Sadberge. I even used to do a crazy 10 miles run from Eaglescliffe down the Aislaby road through Middleton One row, MSG and up to Sadberge. Nice place.

It's amazing how many of us there are within a few miles of Stockton!

Now - Al has been very quiet. Probably because he's spent the day on more important matters, like his daughter. Wonder if he's still procrastinating?

Jeff

Not procrastinating, just busy with family etc.

Still trying to decide whether to go EM or not, I'm starting to lean towards sticking with OO FS, means there will be less pratting about with the stock, and it keeps the cost down as I don't have to buy new wheel sets for the loco's.

My main concern was for the look of the track work and the extra 2mm (ish) between he rails. I want to try and get everything looking as 'right' as possible, I'm more interested in the buildings, scenery, details etc than operating, although the layout must have good operational interest as I would possibly like to take it to a couple of exhibitions if it's good enough.

I'm probably going to start with some of the buildings etc before building the boards. This will give me more time to finalise the track plan and make the gauge decision! It'll also mean I'll have buildings ready for when I lay the track so can make sure everything fits the way I want it to.

Al

It seems that you are taking the sensible approach to the problem.

Looking forward to seeing the buildings progress as well as the decision about gauge and track plan.

Duncan

OK, this is depressing, I've just spent a half an hour with a map of Stockton from 1897 and worked out that if I don't use any compression at all, and go from 300 feet South of the crossing and go to just past the floor mills, (where Jo Rigatonis is (think this may have been to do with the mills) for those that know the location) I can model the entire quay complex to scale and get it on a baseboard 19 feet long by 5 feet wide. the only paret not included would be the line that continues north to Corporation Quay !

Why oh Why am I restricted to a maximum of 10 x 2 !!!!!!!

I sympathise. Unfortunately it is not an uncommon problem. I don't believe that us poor modellers were taken into account when they designed these places.

10' gives a total of 762 scale feet which may cause you a few problems with your plan.

I'm in the process of trying to find somewhere on the LBSCR with a goods yard that will fit into 12' x 2' without compression. 5 weeks later and I'm still looking.

Duncan

Hi Shubert/ Al, I have just found this and had a read through, I would like to stick my two peneth in and say that if you want running sessions with Jeff, as I do with another Jeff, a mate of mine, we have a Friday night about once a month at his place or mine and all the Locos are compatible and it is nice to sit down with a coffee, have a chat and watch your locos run on someone elses masterpiece.

Whatever you decide. ENJOY

Bodgit :sungum:

Archived