Schubert

• RMweb Premium

I live just off middleton lane. towards the one Row

From Whitby on the coast originally

Just moved here from ingleby Barwick

Eventually il get round to doing a layout, got a average size bedroom to play with .

Irony knows no bounds. Both myself and Al (Schubert) live in sunny Ingleby Barwick!

Hi Shubert/ Al, I have just found this and had a read through, I would like to stick my two peneth in and say that if you want running sessions with Jeff, as I do with another Jeff, a mate of mine, we have a Friday night about once a month at his place or mine and all the Locos are compatible and it is nice to sit down with a coffee, have a chat and watch your locos run on someone elses masterpiece.

Whatever you decide. ENJOY

Bodgit :sungum:

Andy - Al's due this Friday. Looking forward to seeing what locos he brings and what new ideas he comes up with!

OK, this is depressing, I've just spent a half an hour with a map of Stockton from 1897 and worked out that if I don't use any compression at all, and go from 300 feet South of the crossing and go to just past the floor mills, (where Jo Rigatonis is (think this may have been to do with the mills) for those that know the location) I can model the entire quay complex to scale and get it on a baseboard 19 feet long by 5 feet wide. the only paret not included would be the line that continues north to Corporation Quay !

Why oh Why am I restricted to a maximum of 10 x 2 !!!!!!!

At least it'll give you the chance to get one of your projects completed.

Just to set the record straight... Al is one of the best modellers I've ever met. He is knowledgeable and whatever he makes is always to a very high standard. Come on Lunesters - let's make sure he can't get out of completing this one!!

Jeff

Jeff the only way is to do what we have all done on KL, and that is keep asking Al for MORE PICS of progress, even if it is only dangley bits of wire

Come on Al, you now have a reputation to uphold. :O 

The Boss has spoken, :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Oh dear, it looks like I'm going to have to see this one through to the end!

Thanks for the compliment Jeff. Any more like that and I'll have to spend precious modelling budget widening the doors!

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, it looks like I'm going to have to see this one through to the end!

Thanks for the compliment Jeff. Any more like that and I'll have to spend precious modelling budget widening the doors!

That's why I wrote what I did! And when you've "finished" you can relinquish your Schubert avatar and morph into Mendelssohn, Berlioz or one of Schubert's contemporaries! Btw, Schubert DID finish some fairly good music - hundreds of songs, and his "Great C major" symphony is very good.

I meant what I said about your modelling. Anyway, shrink your head down and sort out some chipped locos for a good run-round on Friday!

Jeff

That's why I wrote what I did! And when you've "finished" you can relinquish your Schubert avatar and morph into Mendelssohn, Berlioz or one of Schubert's contemporaries! Btw, Schubert DID finish some fairly good music - hundreds of songs, and his "Great C major" symphony is very good.

I meant what I said about your modelling. Anyway, shrink your head down and sort out some chipped locos for a good run-round on Friday!

Jeff

You can't beat a good C Major

Right chaps, I'm needing some opinions...

Although the layout is provisionally titled Stockton St Johns the St Johns crossing bit will only account for about 2 feet of the overall 9-10 foot length.

The amin is to create alayout depicting Stockton Quayside as it was prior to being flattened to build roads, shopping centres etc.

Stockton Quayside was in two seperate elemnts, Castle Quay to the south near Victorai BRidge and Corporation Quay to the north, both being linked by a single line that ran along the quayside, almost on the doorsteps of the houses and buildings along the quay.

____________________ St. Johns____________________________Castlegate__________________________Corporation___

Crossing                                                            Quay                                                              Quay

The distance between the crossing and Castle quay was about 250 - 300 yards which I am going to shorten to bring the quay closer to the crossing. I am not planning to include corporation quay, however I am going to repalce it with a small off scene fiddle yard to add a bit of operational interest. (There will be a FY at both ends of the layout). My problem arises from 2 points:

1. I don't have enough space to get everything in, the Castle quay boards would need to be 14' long by 4' wide, I have about 10' by 18" so compression will need to be the order of the day here, which means removing a lot of the curved trackwork and straightening it out, (I prefer curves to straight track)

2. The quay is the wrong way round!

let me explain point 2. The plan is to view the layout from the river (east), meaning I can use the warehouses etc as a backdrop, however the ticket office and signal box at the crossing are best viewed from the west! Looking at them from the south, you would only see the back of the ticket office, and wouldn't recognise it and the signal box would be hidden behind the shipyard.

I have an old map showing the track and building layout but not sure if I can include it here due to copyright issues. It is a reprint of an Ordnance Survey map from 1897, and there is no copyright marked on the map, either by the O.S. or the curent publisher. Can I include a scan of the bit I'm referring to?

I have four options for the layout;

1. Swap the quayside round and build it as a mirror image, approached from the east instead of the west.

2. Swap the crossing over and put the ticket office on the north side and the signal box on the south side (which would look wrong as it would be totally obvious).

3. only build the quayside and not include the crossing?

4. build the crossing and totally make up the quayside which defeats the objective of building a model representative of the area.

Suggestions on a postcard please.....

• RMweb Gold

Al, there are two more options,

5 Model somewhere else

6 Do nowt.

You seem to be edging towards option 1 which I would think to be the best. With our hobby it's compromise, compromise, compromise.

Al,

Which of the crossing and Dockyard is more instantly recognisable?  That one should be the one that gets modelled 'right', the other can be done in mirror image, or rotated, or so on to fit.

I would try to fit both areas in if you can!

Hi Al I won't interfere as I don't know, :no:  so I will Bog Off for now and just admire your results in a day or two, hhahaheh

Time for a nice cup of tea :O

Bodgit, :no: :no: :no: that's what I would do :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Spent 3 hours "playing trains" with Al on KL today.... Short, very nice video due shortly.

More to the point, Al had his copy of the 1897 OS map of central Stockton, making the scope of the Stockton St. John's project very clear.

This should be a great project, with a splendid river or warehouse backdrop, dependent of Al's choice of perspective.

Jeff

Thanks for the comments.

It is a small world, I live about 1/4 mile from Jeff, and work about 500 yards from Jonathon, and apparently close to Moorlander.

I have pretty much decided (about 95%) that the backdrop will be the warehouses on the high street side of the quay, with the river frontage forming the viewing side. This will also mean that trains will occasionally pass out of site behind two or three separate buildings, which to me makes it that little bit more realistic.

I am now thinking about not including the ticket office, as including it gives rise to one of my personal irritations, the road will have to disappear into the back scene, and I'm not sure how to overcome this.

Goods day at Jeff's yesterday, although I didn't live up to my usual reputation and leave him with a load of expensive ideas! :-)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments.

It is a small world, I live about 1/4 mile from Jeff, and work about 500 yards from Jonathon, and apparently close to Moorlander.

I have pretty much decided (about 95%) that the backdrop will be the warehouses on the high street side of the quay, with the river frontage forming the viewing side. This will also mean that trains will occasionally pass out of site behind two or three separate buildings, which to me makes it that little bit more realistic.

I am now thinking about not including the ticket office, as including it gives rise to one of my personal irritations, the road will have to disappear into the back scene, and I'm not sure how to overcome this.

Goods day at Jeff's yesterday, although I didn't live up to my usual reputation and leave him with a load of expensive ideas! :-)

This is true, though plenty of ideas (cheap ones!) have come to light.

Looking forward to your video/photos. I've already forewarned the Lounge that they may cause some discussion. Hee hee hee.  :D

Jeff

Al

I can see how the road problem would give you some concern. If you do go ahead with it, I would be more than interested to see the solution.

I'm concerned that you didn't give Jeff any expensive ideas. :jester:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Duncan, I couldn't think of anything radical, so just dropped a few hints about how good a pair of Co-Bo's would look crossing his viaduct!

Yep, we're back to the class 28 discussion. Thing is, he didn't need to convince me to buy one of them. But.... there must be TWO, he said. I suppose so!

Jeff

Yep, we're back to the class 28 discussion. Thing is, he didn't need to convince me to buy one of them. But.... there must be TWO, he said. I suppose so!

Jeff

Jeff

Having looked at a load of class 28 photos, in the majority, they certainly appear to operate doudle headed.

Duncan

Small world indeed.

I've been thinking about the EM / 00 FS thing again, and is it worth doing EM when most of the track will be burried under the quayside 'muck'? Probably not, watch this space.

I almost had a track plan sorted in any rail, ready for drawing up in templot but am now thinking 'too much track' so am going back to the drawing board and starting again, but with a slight change of brief; make it look like Stockton Quayside, but not be Stockton quayside, if that makes sense. I.e. have the main buildings and running lines in place, along with the backdrop of warehouses and domestic houses to make it appear like Stockton, but change the track plan and layout a bit to suit me.

I think when it comes to the amount of track on the boards it is definitely a case of 'less is more'.

I went out at the weekend and took a load of reference photo's of the remaining warehouse, which is now a restaurant so can start having a look at making a mock up to see what it looks like in terms of size. I am also due to go there for a work lunch tomorrow, so will have a look inside and see if there are any give always or details I can pick up from the inside.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Hi Al.

It took me years and years to appreciate that "less is more". We really do like our track, don't we? Often to the extent that we lose the space for the context and raison d'etre of the railway in the first place!!

Don't get too hung up on the EM/00 business as we'd all like to see your plan (when finally drawn out) put into action. As someone who knows the area you are modelling well, and has seen that 1897 plan, I find this project very exciting!

Jeff

Hi Al.

It took me years and years to appreciate that "less is more". We really do like our track, don't we? Often to the extent that we lose the space for the context and raison d'etre of the railway in the first place!!

Don't get too hung up on the EM/00 business as we'd all like to see your plan (when finally drawn out) put into action. As someone who knows the area you are modelling well, and has seen that 1897 plan, I find this project very exciting!

Jeff

Hi Al, I agree with Jeff on this one, most of my previous layouts up to about 3 years ago were all track, look at Kingsmill, no scenics just a yard really, I am now appreciating the scenic's side and as Jeff say's, Less is More.

Andy

It's the scenic side, especially the buildings that I am really interested in. I much prefer 'hard edge' to 'soft edge' modelling, that's why I want to build a quayside rather than the typical bucolic branch line with lots of trees etc.

There should be two instantly recognisable buildings that are still there now, three or four that anyone who knows the area from about 40 years ago would recognise, and around another half dozen buildings that are generic to the area.

Archived