MK2 Air conditioned coaches - Detail differences

A belated thank you for posting all this - let's see what Bachmann turn up with!

I did have lots of photos of the varations on the AC mk2, ie the Temperature and Stone variants, but cannot lay my hands on them at the moment.

If you ever get your hands back on the photos and have the chance to scan a few, a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Alun

• 1 year later...

I've just read Flood's extremely comprehensive run down of differences between the Mk2 coaching stock.

I was wanting to make a 13575 Mk2d FK in NSE livery. From everything I read, I gather that Hornby's new Mk2E FO would be a suitable candidate for a repaint? With tinted windows I'm not going to get too hung up that the interior isn't correct

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I realise that the last post on this thread was in Oct 2020 but if possible I need some help please with a question. My collection of various Airfix, Mainline, Dapol, Hornby and even Lima air con MK2s has grown steadily over the years to around 70 or so. Finally spurred on by this thread and others on RMWEB I have now got down to detailing them, with end hand rails, Laserglaze, Replica B4s with Bachmann wheels and other assorted door prizes.

Following on from the great info supplied on here on this thread I now find I need to get hold of some of the large single Temperature Ltd fans for the air con. I have had a go at scratch building one in styrene but it took a while and I’m no good at resin / white casting. 

1. does anyone make the large single Temperature Ltd fan for OO gauge / 4mm, in resin cast, white metal cast, 3D printed etc? 

I’ve even converted an old Lima Scotrail MK2F FO into a fictitious MK2F Intercity Sleeper…..6BCBD713-05A7-44B3-BF67-F32092178FA7.png.6efbbcabd7b77a0dbf12da20e9ba0ef5.png

9AF93F8A-02E0-4BA7-8BD7-A8E6EA78254C.png.aba1abcdd40154cef8ee6340e8e3b4a5.png

Hurst Models do them as a casting:

DK2000 “Temperature Ltd.” Air Conditioning Unit £ 0.70
Used under MK2 d/e/f coaches. Can be used to accurately model certain vehicles based on the Hornby/Airfix/Dapol MK 2d. Cast white metal

The box to the left of the fan is also subtly different but the Lima moulding is spot on so just copy one of those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/08/2021 at 23:19, Flood said:

Hurst Models do them as a casting:

DK2000 “Temperature Ltd.” Air Conditioning Unit £ 0.70
Used under MK2 d/e/f coaches. Can be used to accurately model certain vehicles based on the Hornby/Airfix/Dapol MK 2d. Cast white metal

The box to the left of the fan is also subtly different but the Lima moulding is spot on so just copy one of those.

Flood thanks for the info. 

Once I’ve ordered up all the materials I need, all I’ll have left to do is just find the time to actually do this work. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/09/2021 at 12:44, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Tangent, but only slight- can anyone point me in the direction of photos of the interiors of Mk2 air-cons (both classes) in BR Blue livery please! Failing that what colour were the tables, what colour were the vestibules?

I could be wrong, but I had thought the standard class coaches were introduced looking similar to this (photos of air-con mk2 interiors seem rare in searches). I think the Mk2fs had more formica rather than wood panelling on the walls and were they not fitted with the same seats as Mk3s?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BR_Mk.II_TSO_No.M5125_(7169852174).jpg

while first class was more like this

Train Graveyard, Yorkshire

Edited by GordonC

Thanks. Answering my own question I did find a Mk2 air-con standard class interior shot in "The InterCity story" book and they had insides very similar to the link showing a non air-con, wood on the walls and bulkheads, black table tops and blue seats with purple headreast areas. I'm modelling Mk2D so not too fussed if they changed to cream formica on later derivatives. 

The only remaining question I have is what colour were the table tops in first class in open coaches?!

The photo in British Rail Mark 2 Coaches is in black and white but the shade of the tables is exactly the same as the antimacassars which were stark white:2000564600_Mk2DFOseating.jpg.dc55a3ce6a06197ab27bcd036f23798b.jpg

Don't forget that for the First Corridor Mk2D stock they originally had reddish brown moquette, as per the earlier Mk2 builds:

1904104823_Mk2DBFKseating.jpg.ba5610b0136acceed3ba9689fadcbd78.jpg172891784_EarlyMk2FKseating.jpg.c19ed2ea93bc1ee39a9b06c10d3c52c0.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've found a couple of pics online - links below.

Mk 2c FO 3155 is being restored by James Steward and friends. (Mid Norfolk Railway?) Its restored interior is the same as a 1980s Mk 2e FO. Here is a Facebook link to a photo - look at all those orange and brown stripes! Looks like the table tops are the same shade as the end bulkhead ie. a cream colour rather than white.

In the British Rail Mark 2 Coaches book @Flood is referencing, there are two black and white photos of the Mk2e FO interior: original, and after the early 80s refurbishment. The table tops look white in both black and white photos; maybe they were actually cream, but look white in the B+W image? In the original interior there was wood veneer on the end bulkheads as well as the carriage sidewalls; the end bulkheads changed to white or cream after refurbishment. The carpet changed too; in the refurbished coach it is striped to match the stripey seat moquette.

I also found a Mk2e TSO original interior photo as preserved at the Dean Forest railway. The photo dates from 2007. I don't know if this coach is still preserved in this condition.

Neither of these are my original images hence I've added links but not embedded the images.

In the late 80s some of the Mk2d and Mk2e TSO and BSO had a further refurbishment, with a dark grey moquette and dark grey table tops (both a similar shade to Executive Dark Grey). These coaches retained their wood veneer paneling. I'd guess from memory that these started appearing around 1988. Some, but not all of the Mk 2d and 2e used by InterCity Cross Country had this refurbishment. I remember them from the Edinburgh/Glasgow portion workings via Carstairs. Can anyone find a picture of this interior online - I've searched and drawn a blank?

Hope this helps and is of interest.

Cheers

Tom.

• Informative/Useful 1

The exposure on the black and white photo has probably been increased to remove shadows and dark areas on the original photo. I have no reason to doubt the colours in the Facebook post shown by tiger in which case cream for the tables would be correct. I still think the antimacassers are white, it's just that those in the colour photo are rather stained/generally old in appearance.