'New' Layout idea by adapting a board from Sweethome Alabama

Jon Grant 4472

I am looking to extend one of the Sweethome Alabama baseboards by 18 inches, to make the scenic board as long as, and to hide, the newly-extended fiddle yard. While thinking about what to put on the new bit (other than more trees), I thought it would be a good opportunity to add a turnout and a bit mor track to increase the operating potential of the pulpwood branch/spur.

Leading on from that, I also got to thinking about turning it into a small, Inglenook-style layout in its own right, with a dedicated fiddle yard, with a view to using it as a working layout for small shows, as well as remaining part of the larger Sweethome Alabama

Here's the board in its current guise

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_31021.JPG

IMG_31031.JPG

IMG_31041.JPG

I have scope to extend the board by 18 inches, and will probably end up with two 3ft boards. I also have scope to make the boards a few inches deeper.

My initial intention is to have the log cars disappear either into a building or behind some trees so that they can be loaded 'off-stage', behind the backscene. I also hope to use a dedicated switcher, possibly a 44 or 70-tonner for the site.

Your thoughts and suggestions, folks.

ps - I also have some huge woodchip cars....could a woodchip loader be included into the same scene as pulpwood cars, or is it either/or?

Thanks

Jon

Jon,

As an aside, did you ever get around to "drawing" a track plan of SHA?

I am confident in saying that I know absolutely nothing about the wood-pulp business over here..........Do they wood-pulp for paper and such like of for things like "oriented strand board"? I did notice down South that they use that a lot in house construction instead of plywood.

Best, Pete.

Jon - not for sure, but I think Pulpwood gets taken as is to paper plants - and to make woodchips all the off-cuts, small branches, etc,are  taken to a plant and chipped, then loaded into cars to be taken to the factory The loaders are like long hoods that slot over the car - I think Mike Scott had one on one of his layouts. There is a "how-to here

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?104310-How-To-Build-A-Woodchip-Loader  and Walthers did one - but I think it is OOP =  picture here http://www.euromodeltrains.com/trains/products/Walthers1/933/3526.gif

post-13979-0-98930600-1361881912.jpg

how about a siding going to the fiddle yard,hidden by a bridge or trees then this could be the loading track, out of site,you could have loaded pulpwood in,empty out,empty woodchip cars in, loaded out,if you could fit a smaller siding in as well that could be a RIP track(have bad order cards),use waybills so the cars have to be shunted in order for different destinations(east bound,west bound)

if you start with all empty cars,( should think you'll get 6 in each) and loaded in the fiddle yard,that should keep someone happy for about a hour(me,me,me) also if you knock the top speed of the switcher down so no more than 10mph that may make it last longer.

food for thought!!!!!!!!!

Ray

Jon = If you decide to build one of the grab cranes, like the one at the far end of the siding (available from Kibri as a kit , #11282) the grab is actually intended to work - I wish you luck! 

WARNING! DO NOT ASSEMBLE THIS KIT WITHIN EARSHOT OF SMALL CHILDREN!  THEY WILL ADD LOTS OF NEW AND EXCITING WORDS TO THEIR DAILY SPEECH! THEY WILL TAKE GREAT DELIGHT IN EXPRESSING THEM LOUDLY IN FRONT OF THE VICAR, ELDERLY LADIES, AND IN PUBLIC PLACES WHERE THEY CAN EMBARRASS THEIR PARENTS!

The grab needs at least 4 hands of VERY thin fingers, a magnifying glass, a thorough knowledge of the most profane Anglo-Saxon vocabulary, and infinite patience to assemble (none of which are included in the box!. After 2 hours of trying to get it together, I finally  succeeded - only to have it fall apart when I tried to move it! Suffice to say. it was eventually put together with liquid glue, and in a part open position, so that I could compress te scrap metal load and fit it between the claws - which seems to produce a reasonable result .This one is for loading the containers in my container tilter

post-6688-0-68832000-1361889296.jpg

I had several pulpwood yards on my territory when I was Asst. Trainmaster in Texas. They looked like the yard in the Alabama pictures. Maybe a shack plus a loading crane/tractor and piles of pulpwood. Its detestable stuff. Keeps falling off the cars, loads shift, I was glad to see it go. The 4 wheeled tractor that looks like a big fork lift, with the slatted grate is used to not only load the cars but the slatted grate is used to "bump up" the load. Once the pulp wood is loaded the tractor pushes against the load with the slatted panel to push the logs onto the car and make sure the ends stick out a uniform distance.

Had a paper mill in Arkansas that received chips in hoppers (the wood or termite train). Both pulpwood and chips end up in the same place, the paper mill. Wood is chipped at the paper mill and chips are chipped at the wood yard. Chips are easier to handle, they can be conveyored around and its easier to unload. There is no reason the same yard couldn't ship both chips and pulp wood or logs. The paper mill on the other end of town used logs that were

trucked in.

Putting the truck or tractor on the tracks would be a no-no. The loaders have to get to both sides of the car and driving the tractor over the tracks could damage the track and would cut up the tires of the tractor.

You could hide the entrance to staging behind a stack of logs or the chipper building (metal building, fairly new but still industrial) and there could be conveyors over the hole to carry away bark chips (for landscaping) . The bark chips could be bagged and shipped out in boxcars.  Or you could have the chipper on the far side of the track and the hole blocked by the bark bagging building.

The ex-UP engine is probably owned by a leasing company and has been leased to the KCS or one of its subsidiaries (based on the lead unit's paint.)

Jon;

What vintage are those photos? I ask because the most modern vehicle in sight is the red pickup (or maybe the grab crane) and it isn't very modern. It is rural Alabama, though...

Adrian

Not sure Adrian, I'll try and find out

Judging from the condition of the CSX pulpwood cars, I would hazard a guess at somewhere between the late 1990s and mid 2000s

Jon

Not sure Adrian, I'll try and find out

Judging from the condition of the CSX pulpwood cars, I would hazard a guess at somewhere between the late 1990s and mid 2000s

Jon

I might have put it a bit earlier than that - the red pickup looks to be a mid-80s Chevrolet (last model year 1987), but I agree it is probably in the '90s (as it can't be earlier than 1987). The crossing gates look quite modern* and I have found a 2003 photo of one of those flats in significantly better condition http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?id=457148

*in fact the crossing gate/light setup is a bit strange, with the lights in both directions on the far side of the tracks and the high gantry. I'd gues that the road approaches the tracks at an angle, makes a right turn to cross at near 90 degrees, and then makes a left to resume its angled course (or it does a wiggle to line up with the crossing - the high lights are at a different angle to the low ones). The lights would be on the opposite barrier posts to give better sightlines, with the gantry to increase the sighting distance even more. The armco barriers appear to be on the insides of the curves. That amount of expenditure on a crossing implies a fairly busy road and probably a fairly busy rail line.

It is also interesting that there is no switch stand to give a visual indication of the switch position.

Adrian

The cab looks like a '71 or '72 Chevrolet - almost certainly based on the C3500 dump truck, which had that frame shape.

Adrian

Looks like it's going to be difficult./impossible to find one in HO scale, though Adrian - 40s/50s no real problem , Late 80s/90s available - 60s/70s like rocking horse manure!

Archived