MHR Spring Gala

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Anyone at a loose end this weekend and near the Mid Hants might want to pop down to the line for their first Gala of the year. Special Guests this year include T9  3012, N15 777 'Sir Lamiel' and GWR Prairie 5164. The MHR home fleet will also be in action.

More info here: http://www.watercressline.co.uk/Events/Spring-Steam-Gala

And if you see anyone with a tape measure sizing up the new footbridge at Ropley, that'll be me!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Seems there is some sort of signalling problem at Bentley, so if anyone was planning of using the train to get to the MHR today, be aware that currently all SWT services are terminating at Farnham!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Not this time. Signalling problems at Bentley are quite common and whatever the root problem, it only ever seems to get bodged by NR/SWT as it keeps happening. Doesn't help that it's on a single line stretch either so once the problem arises, everything stops.

Tom.

Afternoon All,

I had a splendid day out yesterday at the Mid-Hants Great Spring Steam Gala.  It was a bit dull and chilly, but the sun did struggle through towards the end of the day.

I hope to be uploading my pictures of the day onto Flickr as time permits during the week.  However, I did manage to get the first batch on before going to bed last night and, if anyone is interested in seeing them, this is the first one; clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others :

8525337181_ace0699d2f_m.jpg
RD7791.  45379 at Ropley. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Hope that they are of interest.

• RMweb Gold

Finally made it on Sunday, and despite the dull and cold weather had an enjoyable day. Unfortunately the bridge isn't yet in use due to some late arriving parts, so measuring will have to wait for another day!

Anyway, a short video from the day here:

Apologies if its a little shakey, but it was all shot on the iPhone and as mentioned it was very cold! It's a good job there is image stabilization on the thing!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Good stuff. I think it's fair to say that it was one of the strangest galas I've ever been involved in on the MHR. Anything and everything that could go wrong, break, fail or slip did, even down to the coal loading digger giving up the ghost on Sunday night. Quite why it was like this I don't know but certainly on both the Friday and Sunday when I was driving it made for a stressful couple of days.

I am driving 925 d/headed with 850 in the clip around 3.22 and again running in at around 8 something. Two very serious events took place during these runs - the first was that coming up the bank from Alton just before shutting off for Medstead (one of the the steepest parts of the line at 1 in 54) 925 went into a violent slip whilst running inside 850. Without warning the speedo went up to around 75mph and it took a while to bring it under control. It was by far and away the scariest thing I've encountered on the footplate, but luckily after inspection there didn't appear to be any damage to 925. 34007 had slipped to a complete standstill at around the same spot and had to be rescued by 850, so hopefully they will be checking the track in that area, possibilities include a slight twist in the track which is enough to upset weight distribution enough to initiate slipping.

The other thing is I lost my hat on the up trip - you can see I'm wearing it leaving Ropley but not as we're running in.

RIP hat. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil.

34007 had slipped to a complete standstill at around the same spot and had to be rescued by 850

That explains the loooong wait at Ropley with 30120 before Wadbridge arrived from Alton then! 

I caught the first train of the day from Alton, which was supposed to be 30120 and 925, but 30120 was on her own. Have to say she seemed to cope with the climb to Medstead well, if a little on the slow side! Thumbs up to the footplate crew for that one!

Also, that was me saying hello from the window of the departing train from Ropley. Will try and say hello properly next time!

RIP hat. 

A moments silence for the hat....

Tom.

The other thing is I lost my hat on the up trip - you can see I'm wearing it leaving Ropley but not as we're running in.

by far and away the scariest thing encountered ...

Sadly missed the event (pity, would have liked to have been there) I do hope that despite the problems a great time was had by all.

Afternoon All,

I had a splendid day out yesterday at the Mid-Hants Great Spring Steam Gala.  It was a bit dull and chilly, but the sun did struggle through towards the end of the day.

I hope to be uploading my pictures of the day onto Flickr as time permits during the week.  However, I did manage to get the first batch on before going to bed last night and, if anyone is interested in seeing them, this is the first one; clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others :

8525337181_ace0699d2f_m.jpg

RD7791.  45379 at Ropley. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Hope that they are of interest.

Further to my previous message, I have managed to get another batch of pictures onto Flickr.  This is the first one and, as before, clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others :

8528627819_e9ff70a96c_m.jpg

RD7805.  30120 at Alresford. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Hope that they're of interest.

Archived