HORDERLEY. LNER Shunting Layout.

Jinty2012

Hello All, I've decided to post progress of my new layout - a 00 gauge LNER shunting layout (name not decided yet).

Size: 40cm x 170cm (15" x 67" approx) including fiddle yard.

Never modelled LNER before so I am looking forward to a bit of research.

I've already begun constructing the baseboard and laying track. Completed a transverser which was my first attempt at such a fiddle yard.

Track Plan.....

post-18559-0-81244100-1362222729_thumb.jpg

I'll post photos later on today.

Many thanks, hope the layout proves interesting for someone.

Hi Jinty2012,

Anything LNER will be of interest here.  Plan looks good.  Look forward to seeing photos of your progress. 

I plan to add a branchline to my layout, based on Ponteland just out of Newcastle upon tyne.

Mark in OZ

Hi Mark, I read about Ponteland a while ago on Disused-stations.org.uk. Nice station to model.

Photos so far...

Nothing says LNER like a GWR loco :O ...

post-18559-0-17705200-1362224979.jpg

Trasnverser...

post-18559-0-80671200-1362224980.jpg

post-18559-0-42046900-1362224982.jpg

Extremely simple control panel....

post-18559-0-51664400-1362224983.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a quick update, as I've now started on an embankment and the bridge. The wiring is all complete now, as is the fiddle yard.

post-18559-0-08163700-1363173749.jpg

post-18559-0-92413900-1363173749.jpg

I'm now turning my attention to possible backscenes. I've never used a photo as the background, so am kean to experiment with these. However, I have a suspicion the perspective may not be right on such a small layout.

Being a bit of a signal nut, I'm already thinking about possible signal choices. (A bit early yet?) I plan on using non-working ground signals but a working signal on the platform. I have heard that MSE (wizard models) produce a ready made SR/BR signal that I may consider when they re-stock. Obviously there are the Ratio signals. I am a bit reluctant to build a MSE kit.

Thanks again, any improvements/suggestions welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- like the way you've done the runround / 2 front sidings with y points looks a lot more flowing & realistic than the original plan.

Hi nice little layout you have there keep the pics coming.

cheers

A very nice layout! I hope the pictures keep coming!

Thanks for the kind comments! More photos to come tomorrow

• RMweb Premium

Oh I like this ,perfect sized layout for progress and interest and looks cracking.

I am pondering what style fiddle yard to use for my Portsea Town layout and your traverser looks very interesting ,more pics and any comments on its construction would be very welcome

Hi All,

A few more photos as promised. Been adding detail to the station....

I've painted and weathered the platform surface, added a fence and started on the brick detail.

The station building I'm using at the moment is from a old layout so I'm looking to replace this. I'm considering the Wills Country Station Kit, but it seems to be pretty expensive considering I won't be using the storage building, just the waiting room. Maybe I'll try to scratch build one??

Here are the photos, hope you enjoy

post-18559-0-82072800-1366219871.jpg

post-18559-0-99925600-1366219872.jpg

post-18559-0-66903100-1366219873.jpg

Oh I like this ,perfect sized layout for progress and interest and looks cracking.

I am pondering what style fiddle yard to use for my Portsea Town layout and your traverser looks very interesting ,more pics and any comments on its construction would be very welcome

Hi Iash! Thanks!!

I'm happy to give you any details you need on the transverser, if you need them :)

Thanks, acg_mr appreciate the comments!

Update: What I'm thinking about currently is where to add my signal box. First option is on the platform; alongside the station building. Second, between the platform end and the bridge, in the gap between the bay track and the main line.

I've been considering this since I came up with the layout concept, but yet still no decision! ooops.

How I see it.... The box on the platform is stereotypical of the size of station, it will give the left side of the layout somewhat of an 'end' acting as a 'book stop' (the bridge being the other). However it does mean that there will be a gap between the bay track and main line. I have already planned where to add signals, crane and water crane so they cant go there. I am concerned it'll be an empty gap and not make full use of the space.

The other option is to have a full sized box in this gap, this will mean that the left side of the layout may seem bear and the right side (with signal box, crane, signal, water crane) look too over crowded. This may reduce the view of the bay track too much.

The decisions! Sorry for my rambling! Very interested to know your opinions

Hi all, I'm hopping someone could give me some advice on signals....

Below is a diagram of where I believe the signals should go. Is this correct?

Figure 2 shows the start signal for the main line, but with the shunting signal on a bracket to control the bay platform. Is the prototypically correct?

post-18559-0-52037000-1366580533.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice....

• 4 weeks later...

I used to live in Ponteland in the 80s when I was young. Alas by then the station had a load of shops on it. However the building at Darras Hall still existed and I have some photos of it somewhere. The line from Ponteland to Darras mean engines entered Ponteland and then reversed back out to run up to Darras. There was no through running.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, I'm hopping someone could give me some advice on signals....

Below is a diagram of where I believe the signals should go. Is this correct?

Figure 2 shows the start signal for the main line, but with the shunting signal on a bracket to control the bay platform. Is the prototypically correct?

attachicon.gifsignal.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice....

I'm no expert in this field (dispite my job!) but I would say that the starter for the bay should be a full sized signal, not a dod.

Also the loco release might well have been a ground frame with no signals. If not you wouldn't need two on the platform line, as one would have conditional locking which would mean that it could be pulled with the points in either direction.

I'm guessing the dod at the bottom is for reading across the crossover?

Andy g

I'm no expert in this field (dispite my job!) but I would say that the starter for the bay should be a full sized signal, not a dod.

Also the loco release might well have been a ground frame with no signals. If not you wouldn't need two on the platform line, as one would have conditional locking which would mean that it could be pulled with the points in either direction.

I'm guessing the dod at the bottom is for reading across the crossover?

Andy g

Thanks for the info. Would the bay starter be on the same frame as the existing starter?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info. Would the bay starter be on the same frame as the existing starter?

Doesn't need to be. If there is space the starter could well have been on it's own post, which would allow more space in that road.

Andy G

• 6 months later...

Archived