Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Has RMWeb Changed the way you make models?

Since starting workbench threads on RMW, my modelling methods have changed; subtle thoughts as you sit down at the bench have invaded my head!

The camera is now my constant companion in the workroom, is the battery charged?

How will I do this task?

Will anyone want to see how it's done?

Have I taken this pic right?

How am I going to write about this, how much detail, what have I already covered?

Will other RMwebbers like it/not like it/laugh/think its useful/patronising or helpful or am I doing something totally wrong and misleading someone?. 

Sometimes I find the whole posting process quite daunting :scared: .

I now seem to take much longer to build anything but the upside is I check things a little more than I used too!

Seeing the wonderful kit/scratchbuilding going on in this and other forums is both in equal amounts, inspiring and disheartening as the breadth of knowledge and understanding of the more complex processes I can only dream of aspiring to!

Sometimes I wish I could just "get on with things" without having to think about posting things up but if we all thought that, all this lovely info on model building would stay hidden. Besides, I started my threads so I can't really complain can I?

Does anyone else think this way or is it just me?

Discuss............

Jon F.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it's just you, Jon, but I think it depends on the individual.

I don't keep my camera in my work room, and frequently forget to take photos during the various stages of model construction. Part of the reason for taking photos is that I want a record for myself of progress and 'how I did that'.

I do think that some of us, some of the time, at least, make models to satisfy the unforgiving macro lens of the modern digital camera, whereas in time gone by, we'd have done it purely to satisfy ourselves, maybe even at 'normal viewing distance'. I think that it is the digital camera above all else, that has influenced these things.

Either way, I think that there is much to inspire everyone on RMWeb and elsewhere on the internet, and in many cases I would agree with you, that this can lead to a general raising of standards. This is to be applauded, but by the same token, it's important to understand that this doesn't necessarily suit everyone. Being inspired to improve your standards is good, but this needs to be achieved in a positive, supportive way, rather than someone thinking - 'this is far too difficult, I couldn't possibly achieve that'...

And in general, I think that RMWeb succeeds in the inspiration stakes pretty well.

Definitely! I have been inspired by countless other layouts and I am using techniques that have been demonstrated via the forum. As with yourself I tend to keep a camera handy so I can take (shaky) photographs of the processes involved. Even if I don't post these onto the web, they are useful for me as part of improving the process. 

RMweb also has this fantastic feature called "modelling mojo" whereby, when I am not in the mood for modelling, I can look at other people's models and become inspired. This eventually leads me to do more modelling. At the moment this has got me wanting to dabble in T gauge... 

Yes I spend more time on RMweb than I do building models, but that is my fault!

That said the help and information I have received from many members over the last few years has been outstanding and helped me improve my modeling skills and long may it continue.

Nigel

• RMweb Premium

There are times when I spend too long looking at RMweb - and the rest of the www as well. I probably spend longer researching as there's so much to look at. Jon's point about "checking things more" is certainly valid as there's usually more reference material to check it against. My constant companion next to my workbench is my laptop with photo collection or ready access to the internet at hand. Far easier to access than my large print/slide collection.

I would also ask similar questions as the OP, but one I would add is "Has anyone done this before?" I do like to read other people's methods and if I feel it'll work for me, then I'm quite happy to copy it - as I'm happy for people to copy my modelling. I also have no problem with constructive criticism to push standards forward. Although as CK mentions above, it doesn't always suit everyone. We're back to the "railway modelling is a broad church"

CK also makes a valid point about "modelling for the camera" - I have often only noticed errors/blemishes whilst enlarging the picture on my computer screen, preparing it form my workbench thread.

But it (RMweb/'net) certainly is an aid to modelling - especially when it comes to portraying the recent/current scene. For example, I've just tracked down a couple of pics of a yellow coach (no surprise there) that I want to model. I could've been waiting a long time to get lucky for my own picture, or for others to appear in print and then again, I may have only got one side. I now have views of both sides and roof within a couple of weeks of the coach being released to traffic.

That's enough wasting time here - must open my newly delivered MPV and mark it up for an appointment with a razor saw............ (and search for more pictures of 98008)

Cheers,

Mick

I totally agree with everyones observations that information and inspiration is present in bucketloads on here, it's just my thought processes aren't just "how do I do this" but "how will I show how I do this"!

I am now concious that once the first pic/text goes up I have be sure I can finish the job. It makes me choose what I'm setting out to do very carefully!

JF

Guest jim s-w

Hi Jon

Forums have but not this one specifically - I too take more pictures because of forums but I was on several before RMweb so I was already in the habbit when I got here.  TBH its less to do with forums as such and more to do with the instant and free pictures that digital cameras offer.  Without digital cameras and people happy to take pictures and post them forums probably would have never have taken off.  My current thinking is that I intend to slowly withdraw from forums and focus all my modelling on my website.  The commentable blog type workbenches seem to be growing in popularity and its easier to follow modellers (and models) you like that way but then you do miss the occasional gem that only appears on a forum.

Cheers

Jim 

Interesting topic.

Being a member of a forum has changed the way I work for sure, I can now ask questions about methods and learn about new techniques that perhaps I woudn't of been aware of before. For example I now use several different types of solder for different jobs - if it wasn't for RMweb I woudn't have known about solder paints and creams. And of course there's plenty of information out there to be tapped into.

Posting my builds on t'net has also subtly changed the way that I work, anyone who has seen my blogs will know that I go into a lot of (possibly far too much!) detail about my builds. I find that I'm thinking about how I would describe the build as well as photograph it as I'm working, and to be honest I really enjoy writing up each blog entry. I hope that I could describe my working method in a 'if I can do it anyone can' way, whether I succeed in that is another matter but I do enjoy the challenge. A very good reason to write up my work is for my own future reference, for example I built an ICI hopper wagon last year, this year I'll do another, and I'll be looking back at my previous blog entries as I go along.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, it's slowed my modelling down totally. Too much time spent reading on here. :P

It has however inspired a layout so it can't all be bad.

The digicam is a darn good quality-controller, as things I've overlooked usually stick out a mile on an image. As regards workbench modelling, "it'll do" has also been tightened up a lot now! There is no doubt that being a member of RMweb and sharing/pinching ideas does influence my modelling.

• RMweb Gold

I agree the camera is a useful diary, communication tool and - not least - critic! Sometimes I feel all that photographing becomes almost stressful though. It can be nice to just get absorbed by the modelling process sometimes.

Evenin' all,

E-forums have become the new worldwide clubroom....it is much easier to have a home based project whilst interacting with similar minded others. Combining this with internet shopping/next day delivery means that almost anything can be modelled in any chosen scale/gauge and shared instantly.

Cheers

Dave    

The digicam is a darn good quality-controller, as things I've overlooked usually stick out a mile on an image. As regards workbench modelling, "it'll do" has also been tightened up a lot now! There is no doubt that being a member of RMweb and sharing/pinching ideas does influence my modelling.

Says it all!

... although my workbench is not as productive as Larry's.

I think in addition there is a sense of sharing the pleasures of modelling which RMweb facilitates.

Rob

I'm the sort that primarily takes photos for my own reference, my eyesight is naff at the best of times and I find enlarging something that I'm working on on the screen helps me to pick out what needs attention. The better images sometimes then filter through to a post somewhere if I think them worth posting, or if they're of something that I've not seen somewhere else myself that sometimes get picked up on by people that I do see as inspirational modellers. That I think is the biggest instrument of change in my own modelling rather than forums such as RMW itself. Its usually following dialogue from them that I pick up or completely rethink how I go about things.

• RMweb Gold

Like alot of people have said the camera picks out all the good bits, but it doesnt lie about the bad bits.  Presenting stuff on the forum (and/or other forums) is great as it gives you a bit of self evaluation and comments - good or bad can also help.

I suppose you have to be open to criticism, though thats a negative word, but I've seen loads of threads where a helpful pointer has been offered, then taken the wrong way.

-which of course all goes down and is digested,

I've lost count of the the number of close up shots of weathering pics submitted to see if the 'overall effect' is getting something near to be told the bufferbeam detail is wrong, I dont do bufferbeam detail, even as a 'finescaler' track detail and weathering is part of the 'picture' but I am not really interested in the minute details of indiviudial locos, I hope that makes sense?

All good fun though :)

Archived