''New'' 4mm Bufferstops ''New''

davefrk

• RMweb Gold

Mind you, you'd have to rely on The Hand of God to put any stock on those three roads; they've all go buffer-stops on the far end, and no apparent connection to anything else..

It's obviously one of those shunting puzzle layouts, I wonder if each wagon will have a coloured sticker on their roof?

Is it just me being a buffer bore or has anyone else noticed that even Notwork Rail can put bufferstops together inside out. Note the forward legs of the bufferstop frame, the shorter ones should be on the inside to clear the wheel flanges and on various drawings the verticals are all joggled onto the outside of the running rails..... oh dear....

This type of bufferstop is still being used by NR and many are fitted to flatbottom rails, I have a few photos of them on file.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me being a buffer bore or has anyone else noticed that even Notwork Rail can put bufferstops together inside out. Note the forward legs of the bufferstop frame, the shorter ones should be on the inside to clear the wheel flanges and on various drawings the verticals are all joggled onto the outside of the running rails..... oh dear....

This type of bufferstop is still being used by NR and many are fitted to flatbottom rails, I have a few photos of them on file.

Dave Franks.

They wouldn't have this problem in they modelled the GW.

• RMweb Gold

Dave Franks.

And not only that but if they were used 'in anger' and something, such as a rough shunt, hit them fairly hard they stand a very good chance of collapsing as the wagon or whatever inevitably derails onto the top of them, smashes the thin looking beam and collapses the two sides outwards as there is no tie rod to hold them together.  So definitely not fit for purpose.

Hi, picture of a very similar bufferstop but with detail differences, number of bolts, beam bracket arrangement (could be SRPS) and fitted to flat bottom rail.

Pictured at SRPS Bo'ness (many thanks guys). Built up correctly. I can't find pictures or drawings of the this type prior to 1970 so they are presumed to date after this.

post-10324-0-47622700-1399283549.jpg

Dave Franks

Dave Franks.

Perhaps they didn't care given they did not expect any trains to actually run on that track.

Chris

Archived