''New'' 4mm Bufferstops ''New''

davefrk

Code 75 in the world of model railways is the height of the rail expressed in thousands of an inch, 0.075". Usually bullhead rail used on 4mm models, heavier sections being available for modern flatbottom rail.

Bryn

Yep, I had some old bufferstops put aside for my layout and when I looked seriously at them for the project some years ago I realised they were grossly over scale being code 100 rail section, you couldn't even attempt to slim them down as on my MR example the bufferplank centre was 3mm too high. This was probably done on purpose to clear the old style Tri-ang/Hornby type couplings of the time. I was making my own bufferstops out of code 75 rail for the layout and then decided I should make them for everyone. Aren't I a helpful old sxd..... :senile:

All the best,

Dave Franks

Dave,

Perhaps this will be of interest. I do a range of etched bufferstops for the 2mm Scale Association and these are outlines of them,all prepared from original drawings or direct measurements. If we can make contact directly I will send you my entire archive of photos and drawings.

I have info on at least another ten types which I have not yet got around to turning into etches.

Chris

buffer drawings.pdf

Dave,

Perhaps this will be of interest. I do a range of etched bufferstops for the 2mm Scale Association and these are outlines of them,all prepared from original drawings or direct measurements. If we can make contact directly I will send you my entire archive of photos and drawings.

I have info on at least another ten types which I have not yet got around to turning into etches.

Chris

attachicon.gifbuffer drawings.pdf

Hi Chris, that is extremily kind of you. How would you like to make contact? Email, post or phone.

Dave Franks

Looking at the drawings in the .pdf, it appears that the LYR and the MR buffer stops are identical, apart from the dimensions of the wooden cross-piece shown on Chris' drawings.  I have a photo (attached) of what I now believe is an LYR buffer stop (at Bank Hall MPD) which shows the wooden cross-piece replaced by three pieces of rail.

Stan

post-2113-0-32632600-1362568460_thumb.jpg

Looking at the drawings in the .pdf, it appears that the LYR and the MR buffer stops are identical, apart from the dimensions of the wooden cross-piece shown on Chris' drawings.  I have a photo (attached) of what I now believe is an LYR buffer stop (at Bank Hall MPD) which shows the wooden cross-piece replaced by three pieces of rail.

Stan

attachicon.gifBHS103.JPG

Actually not. The rear leg slopes more steeply on MR bufferstops than it does on the LYR examples.

Chris

Hi all, just downloaded some photos of painted bufferstops taken on the layout, they've still to be weathered but show better what they would look like when finished. 

post-10324-0-06166800-1362740694.jpg

The sleepers and chairs are C&L 'thick'.  

And,

post-10324-0-01780200-1362740913.jpg

Sleepers are:- some C&L flexi and Ply with C&L chairs. 

Other masters are being worked on and announcements will be made as to availability.

Regards,

Dave Franks

Can these buffer stops be built up using flexi track??

Hi Mike, the bufferstop can be built to OO,EM or P4 gauges and comes with the bit of Code 75 running rail cast into it, if you use any of the 'scale' type flexi-track i.e. Scaleway, C&L etc. then you can use the same  sleepers or C&L componants.  If you have Peco track whether its code 100 or code 75 (what they call 'finescale') you could try to 'clip' the Peco sleepers on but the fixings would be incorrect and the height wouldn't match the height of code 100 track. 

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks

Today I have mostly been making a master of a xxxxx bufferstop. It should be ready to make a mould from on Sunday/Monday and then ready for casting on Thursday. How's about guessing which one I was doing.....  So, what company - BR, pre-nationalisation, pre-grouping or could I have done something industrial? :scratchhead:

The first correct answer will recieve a bufferstop kit (or pick one from future releases). Can't say fairer than that. :declare:

All the best,

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Dave,

Who has been a busy young man then! They look superb.

I know a bloke who would love some GCR ones and can point you to a proper drawing....

http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/29_IRON_BUFFER_STOP.jpg

It says MS&LR but the same design was used right through the GCR period. I have scratchbuilt some before but they are 5 rails wide at the base and it was a right job!

Pretty please.

See you soon,

Tony

Hello Dave,

Who has been a busy young man then! They look superb.

I know a bloke who would love some GCR ones and can point you to a proper drawing....

http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/29_IRON_BUFFER_STOP.jpg

It says MS&LR but the same design was used right through the GCR period. I have scratchbuilt some before but they are 5 rails wide at the base and it was a right job!

Pretty please.

See you soon,

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for that, I've got photos of one of those at Edinburgh and photos in books elsewhere so it maybe proves the LNER built the same design. One of our colleagues on Retford has also sent a drawing of the same one marked GNR/LNER.

Edit. Just had another look at your drawing, the LNER ones don't seem to have the 'check rail' design in front of the bufferstop, another difference.....

Edit again:- Young man indeed....

All the best,

Dave

Bufferstop update:---- :paint:

After spending some hours last night pouring through my Scottish books for North British Railway bufferstops, a couple of good photos have turned up which back-up my thoughts on the drawings purchased from the NB Study Group. Drawings are all very well but they don't always show the detail like the flitch plates or angle brackets and in any case the details vary greatly. I'm happy with the info now so the NB bufferstops are a goer, five or six weeks maybe. Also found some Caley photos, just waiting on official drawings from the Caley association now. Still researching the Highland and GSWR.

Dave Franks.

Fair do's Dave, they look the business!

Mike

Hi Mike just realised who you are, sorry if my answer seemed condescending but at least it'll help others who might have asked a similar question.

Dave Franks

Archived