Hornby A3 not running properly in reverse!

Ok so I have a Super Detail A3 (Doncaster from 1999) which runs fine forward. In reverse though, it jerks and stutters. Its a tender driven loco. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this issue, I can't find much online.

Thanks, Chris

sounds like the gears have some sort of crud causing the stutter  this is quite common in Hornby tender drives although usually forward as well 

also sometime the RTR gears seem to be "dry" in one direction too (I solved this by using a slightly thinner oil ) 

I's also check out the traction tyres on the wheels to see if they have any movement that could cause it 

Anther aspect to check, the loco to tender power coupling. Because the tender is traction tyred it relies on the loco for most of the power pick up. If the wipers on the power coupling are not making such good contact in reverse - maybe a little corrosion or low contact force - that could mean intermittent power loss.

Try giving the tender alone power through the two tender front contacts -  the pin and the plate above -  directly from your controller. If it runs smoothly in reverse like that, then you know that the problem is poor power supply from the loco when on track. If the motor still stutters when given power directly, then the problem is inside the tender. Could be a poor electrical connection, clagged up gears as already suggested, or even the first sign of a motor brush needing replacement.

Anther aspect to check, the loco to tender power coupling. Because the tender is traction tyred it relies on the loco for most of the power pick up. If the wipers on the power coupling are not making such good contact in reverse - maybe a little corrosion or low contact force - that could mean intermittent power loss.

I didn't consider this as I seem to have no problems on my three big Pacifics with this arrangement ( an A3 a Britannia class and Duchess)  How common is this problem so I can keep a look out for it ???

Just check them if you ever see a stutter in movement. In my experience it's the wipers that contact the tender post that were a bit 'flabby' in terms of how they were set on the new loco, and would after a few years really have no contact force against the pin. Bend them in a little, and they keep the contact points better polished. The upward pointing wipers would occasionally get distorted from no apparent cause - my locos stay on the track - but that tended to be 'no go' as a fault rather than stuttering. This is all from ten years ago, since going DCC I have discarded this component for soldered on wire connections.

Guys, thank you both very much for your replies and possible solutions! I am going to sit down with it tomorrow night and test it. I am wondering if I run it with my other A3, Manna(which runs perfectly in both directions), will this possibly show if the problem is the loco connection as opposed to the tender?

Thanks again, Chris

Well I gave it a go and it now works perfectly! Just required a little adjustment and all was well. It also seems to be showing improvement running forward, subtle as it is. Definitely a valuable piece of info gained.

Thank you both very much!

Archived