Croxley branch, depot & related now on Disused Stations site

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is a picture in "The decline of British Railways in Bury & Rossendale" of a green 504 in Croxley Green Depot. The picture is dated 1 July 79 and shows 504439 (withdrawn in the late 60's)  in not the best of shape. As far as I know the 504s were never painted in maroon - they were green and then blue if they survived in service long enough.

Edited to add that I am replying to Xerces Fobe2 post #9 as the quote function didn't work - and I cannot copy and paste here either!

Rob

Hi Rob

I have subsequently found that the maroon unit in Croxley Green Depot was the preserved Class 502 and not a Class 504. I would like to find out the dates between which it was stored there and a photo would be a bonus!

I approved this thread and replies and posts appear now to work!

XF

• RMweb Gold

The book doesn't exact dates but says a number of these withdrawn sets left Bury in 1977 (it has pictures of some of them still there in August 77) and were eventually scrapped in 1983/4 - but I don't know if one was at Croxley Green all that time or not.

As for your bonus - you may have to wait for some computer issues to be fixed first!

Rob 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Went to the wood yard yesterday and decided to stop at what was Watford West Station

post-1131-0-78859600-1445423435.jpg

Photo taken looking North to Croxley, looks to have been tidied up a bit

post-1131-0-82720700-1445423424.jpg

Looking south to Watford High Street, the old platform still there, everything else has been flattened

post-1131-0-73267700-1445423456.jpg

Work seems to have started past the bridge on a new station for the hospital?.

Took a drive to the next bridge but too many parking restrictions to stop and have a look, same with the junction alongside Wiggenhall Road

Does anyone know the latest state of affairs please 

• 1 year later...

I once made an unintended visit to the Croxley Depot. A friend and I, deep in conversation, boarded a 501 standing at Watford Junction intending to travel to Kenton. Once it had set off, it was not long before we noticed that it was not proceeding along the regular route. Once we had reversed into Croxley Shed, we had to climb down from the carriage and, rather sheepishly, make our way past bemused cleaners and out of the depot.

I doubt very much that we were the only ones who had ever done this.

Archived