Chris' Railway Photos - GCR Winter Gala

Torn-on-the-platform

This thread started over a year ago as a request for good places to take photos at Peak Rail, but with the intent on opening up the thread for members to post their favourite photography locations on any preserved line. As can be seen below, this didn't really take off.

Previously, I have updated my blog to inform interested parties of updates to my photography website, but as I am rarely on the blog side of RMWeb myself, I have decided it would be more convenient for me to combine my blog with this thread. I hope that by doing this, it will open up some more discussion and attract more feedback as I look to improve as a photographer.

I will update this thread with samples from my website when I post updates. When these updates are sparse, I will revisit my old photo sets to provide more detailed posts my most successful locations. Please feel free to add similar posts with your own advice.

Here are a few samples from my website across the years:

4MT 75029 heads North from Pickering on the NYMR - August 2008

7599319_orig.jpg

The NRM's Lord Nelson heads an Alresford-bound train on the Watercress Line - April 2009

8736756_orig.jpg

5526 heads away from Staverton on the South Devon Railway - August 20106258567_orig.jpg

Visiting 9F 92212 catches the last of the light as it pulls North from Horsted Keynes on the Bluebell Railway - November 2013

7472862_orig.jpg

I like to be able to contribute to RMWeb, but as a student, I have nothing to offer on the modelling side as yet. I hope that this thread will make do for now and provide interest to someone!

The line runs East West so you need to be on the South side of the line for the best lighting.

Take the road past Darley Dale station and there are a few public paths. 

But stick to paths so you don't get the wrath of the owner.

• 3 weeks later...

Peak Rail

Pretty much the entire length of this line has public footpaths alongside it, though I'm sure that many won't be satisfied with ground level 3/4 shots of locomotives, so I have a few specific locations. As AMJ states, its best to stay on the South side of the line, though it is worth pointing out that the line runs North-west/South-east, so in the summer the other side of the line may potentially be good in the early morning.

Location 1: Darley Dale Station

At the North-west end of the platform, you can catch the trains coming in from Rowsley South. This gives you a good view of a double-track section of line and you are able to get a reasonably wide angle without leaving the platform.

post-7423-0-73846500-1363969499.jpg

At the South-eastern end of the station you can capture the trains returning from Matlock, including the double-track level crossing and potentially the signalman exchanging the line token.

post-7423-0-02392000-1363969797.jpg

Darley Dale station has a small car park, though I had no trouble parking despite attending the year's only steam gala.

Location 2: Rowsley South

If you follow the line to the end of the Rowsley South car park, you find the start of a public footpath which follows the line. You will very shortly come to a crossing, and on the other side of the line there is a field, cut by another public footpath. From here you can get wide angles of the trains in both directions. The lineside is relatively clear and the line is on a small embankment. I didn't have much success on the day myself but there is certainly potential for this location.

post-7423-0-00222300-1363969635.jpg

It's a shame the shot is spoiled by the guy hanging out the cab in a hi-vis.

Agreed, though it still wouldn't be the best shot otherwise. There have been many conversations over the years on RMWeb about people wearing hi-vis, an the chap on the lineside is a good example. I'm told the best photographers don't like to be right under the locomotive as they pass but there never seems to be a shortage of hi-vis clad photographers spoiling the wide angled shots. I've had particular trouble with this at the Bluebell.

I'd like to point out that the intention of this thread isn't to show off my photography, it is to suggest photography locations for those who don't know a particular line so well. I'm hoping that others will contribute too as hunting for photography locations on unfamiliar railways can be a very frustrating pursuit!

Edit 2014: The purpose of this thread now is partially to 'show off' my photography!

Bluebell Railway

I can't afford the time or money needed for a lineside pass at the Bluebell, nor is my photography good enough to justify they cost. Luckily there are several good locations along the Bluebell that can be accessed without trespassing. There are several classic locations within the station boundaries, such as the photography area at the Northern end of Sheffield Park, the view of incoming trains from the South end of Horsted Keynes' platforms, the picnic area at Horsted Keynes (often open during gala days) and the opposite platform view of South facing locos at Kingscote.

The line runs pretty much from North to South so I spend the morning on the East side and my afternoon on the West. I have a few locations on each side of the line, and use them with varying success, though that's more due to my skill than any flaw in the location. It is worth noting that on more than one occasion at the more popular locations along the line, those with permits and hi-vis have ruined the wide angled shots by taking up locations closer to the line.

Location 1: South of Horsted Keynes

Turn right out of Horsted Keynes car park and follow the road a short distance to where it bends sharply to the right and runs under the line. On the outside of this bend, there is a style into a field, which has a public footpath running diagonally across it. The entrance to the field is often very muddy so wellies are recommended. I'm yet to work out exactly where it is best to stand in this field, though the use of step-ladders seems popular. I don't have the luxury, but I would also recommend a good zoom.

post-7423-0-70259000-1363979195.jpg

In the afternoon, follow the road under the railway and enter the field on the other side of the line. This is one location that may be spoiled by Hi-Vis jackets.

EDIT: The owner of this field appears to have taken measures to prevent access, with a new section of fencing with barbed wire. Photography is still possible from the road, looking across the field but it is not such a flexible location.

post-7423-0-38137600-1363979222.jpg

It is possible to park here after crossing the line but I would suggest leaving the car at Horsted Keynes and enjoying the short walk.

Location 2: North of Horsted Keynes

Turn left from Horsted Keynes station building and walk up through the car park. From here the track bends left, over the railway. This bridge provides a reasonable view of trains coming and going from Horsted.

post-7423-0-39623600-1363979360.jpg

I personally feel that there are better shots to be had if you keep walking. Follow the public footpath which initially takes you away from the line but doubles back on itself and brings you back to the lineside. This is a particularly good, and famous, location for catching North facing locos heading to Kingscote. Unfortunately there is always Hi-Vis risk here, though they will usually take a reasonably wide angle themselves so it is possible to exclude them from your shot.

post-7423-0-69993000-1363979203.jpg

If you keep walking towards Kingscote along the footpath, there are some reasonable opportunities when looking South, though you are quite close to the line.

post-7423-0-99834600-1363979235.jpg

Location 3: West Hoathly Station

The remains of this station are actually found in Sharpthorne. Park on Station Road, and there is a footpath that crosses the line, giving good opportunities to take photos of engines bursting out of the tunnel as they head North, from either side of the line. At this point, the loco will be working up a gradient so it really will burst out of the tunnel! The view is not so good whilst looking North but on a gala day a whole day could easily be spent at this location!

post-7423-0-99093200-1363979211.jpg

I am always on the lookout for new locations at the Bluebell, but it is a long line and I really hate it when a train goes by and you haven't found a suitable location. If anyone has any more that they could add I would very much appreciate it.

At Middleton Railway apart from the obvios shots from platforms the following are useful

Note railway is North South roughly so some locations are better morning then afternoon on the other side of the line.

From the car park walk out of the gate and left, left left and you are onto a path which runs parallel to the line on the west side.  There are open fields on the east on the hill.

A popular location is the road overbridge by the John Charles (South Leeds) sports centre.  Facing north you get fine shots of locos working up the hill chimney first.  I have had a few published taken from here and the 2013 time table features one of my shots.

Balm Road branch on galas has a few roads nearby.

All locations are within walking distance from Moor Road Mission Control.

• 3 weeks later...

Could anyone help me out with locations for the Bodmin and Wenford Railway please?

I'm visiting this weekend, and despite visiting several times before, I've always visited as a tourist with my family so have never been on the line side. 

The weather forecast isn't looking promising but there will be several goods trains and double headers.

A general rule of thumb when visiting any railway.

If your local library is like mine probably an idea to borrow the local OS map as these show footpaths and bridle paths where you can walk etc.  Some of these can be seen on certain online maps but better for the old fashioned printed map.  These also give you a clue on the alignment so you can then determine where to go when for the lighting.

A general rule of thumb when visiting any railway.

If your local library is like mine probably an idea to borrow the local OS map as these show footpaths and bridle paths where you can walk etc.  Some of these can be seen on certain online maps but better for the old fashioned printed map.  These also give you a clue on the alignment so you can then determine where to go when for the lighting.

This is actually a tactic that I employ, though you have to be careful as a footpath being close to the railway doesn't always equate to a good shot, usually due to trees or steep embankments. Sometimes its the best way and may be what I have to do, but I'm hoping that some of RMWeb will have experience in this area.

• 1 year later...

So this is my first post since changing the angle of this thread. I have two new updates to my website to advertise and they can both be found on the 2014 page.

The first update is from the Bluebell's first anniversary of re-opening to East Grinstead weekend. Some have described it as a gala, and with 7 engines in steam it did start to feel that way.

The second is the South Devon Railway's goods train gala in April. As you will be able to tell from the photos, I didn't focus much on the goods trains as these ran mainly between Buckfastleigh and Staverton. I had my Labrador in tow, and running up and down the busy road between these stations wasn't really appropriate.

SECR C class 592 and and P class 178 approach Three Arch Bridge on their way to Horsted Keynes

post-7423-0-24753600-1401148376.jpg

SR U class 1638 and S15 847 prepare to enter Horsted Keynes

post-7423-0-63675200-1401148465.jpg

3205 runs into Staverton station with a train for Totnes

post-7423-0-02601700-1401148094.jpg

Visiting Ivatt 2MT 46521 rests between duties at Buckfastleigh

post-7423-0-22826200-1401148110.jpg

BONUS RMWeb only material - Joey dries off after a swim in the Dart

post-7423-0-20645400-1401148244.jpg

• 2 months later...

First things first, I've somehow wrangled myself a 3 day weekend. To celebrate, I plan to visit the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway on Sunday. The Coal tank and 4F are supposed to be in steam. I will have a scout on Google maps for good photography locations and print off relevant directions, but if anyone can give me some pointers to well established photographic locations it would be much appreciated!

Onto more important matters, there is something a little different to be found in the latest update on my 2014 page. For the first time, I have trained my camera on foreign subjects!

I have recently visited the Hungarian Railway Museum in Budapest. It was a stiflingly hot day so I didn't feel up to much more than keeping the camera on auto. This, combined with exclusively black steam locomotives didn't make for the best results, but I have a fair few shots that are OK and of interesting prototypes. Unfortunately I have not had the time to research anything that I saw - for all I know they could be Midland Railway engines!

If you're ever in Budapest, I couldn't recommend it more! Entry for an adult is about £3 and there is plenty to see, with entertainment for kids as well in the form of a miniature railway.

I've also included a few shots of the rail-based public transport systems in Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna.

post-7423-0-73461800-1408047935.jpg

post-7423-0-28536600-1408047944.jpg

post-7423-0-69978600-1408047953.jpg

post-7423-0-01557100-1408047962.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've added a few shots from today's visit to the South Devon Railway. I didn't stray from my usual spots around Staverton, but I did catch 5542 for the first time!

5542 prepares to take the 10.45 to Totnes

post-7423-0-14370400-1408915450.jpg

The usual locomotive, the usual spot. 3205 heads away from Staverton

post-7423-0-82492900-1408915472.jpg

5542 passes the same location

post-7423-0-27023000-1408915577.jpg

• 8 months later...

Just a small update, to include a few photos from the Dartmouth Steam Railway. I had just gone to the area for a walk and didn't expect the line to be running, but I was in luck! Arriving late in the afternoon, I only saw two run-pasts, but I have discovered that the cliff path around Goodrington Sands provides several photo opportunities for all times of day and both directions of travel.

Lydham Manor was absolutely spotless and there were a fair few happy customers, particularly in the observation car.

Having previously been put off this railway, the photography opportunities discovered on this trip and the fact that the railway is starting to show signs of becoming more enthusiast-friendly, I am greatly encouraged and will hopefully return to the railway more frequently.

Lydham Manor approaches Goodrington with the last train of the day 22/4/15

post-7423-0-83411900-1430140710.jpg

I have also tidied up the older photos, grouping them together into two pre-2009 pages.

• 2 months later...

I have added a collection of photos from the Bluebell's model railway weekend. There were 5 engines in steam, including my first glimpse of the Q class in action. COnditions for photography were poor, but I think that I got some reasonable shots. For the first time on my Weebly site, I have cropped some of the photos instead of just posting the raw files.

SR S15 847 heads away from Horsted Keynes with the last northbound train

post-7423-0-50009000-1436473944.jpg

SR Q 541 runs into Kingscote

post-7423-0-42621700-1436473971.jpg

SR Q 541 pauses for the points to be set whilst running around its train at East Grinstead

post-7423-0-76893400-1436473989.jpg

• 1 month later...

Staying up as late as possible in order to prepare for my first real set of night shifts has given me time to process my photos from a trip to the NYMR a couple of Sundays ago. I had a fantastic, much needed, relaxing day. As detailed in the write up on my website however, I was very disappointed that, despite the lady in the ticket office pointedly asking me to specify whether I wanted a Whitby or Grosmont day rover, there was no warning that the advertised steam service to Whitby would in fact be diesel hauled.

Here are some samples from the update on my Weebly:

post-7423-0-55688400-1440130843.jpg

A spotless 'Eric Treacy' approaches Pickering

post-7423-0-35902800-1440130923.jpg

Taking control of Grosmont-Whitby services, the class 25 pulls into the former to be replaced by the Black 5 for the trip South to Pickering

post-7423-0-05018300-1440131113.jpg

Sir Nigel Gresley pulls into Levisham, past the stricken Q6

• 4 weeks later...

I had been quite content with the amount of interest generated by this thread, though this summer I have grown a little disheartened seeing other members' albums of holiday photos on other threads getting much more recognition. Whilst I can think of a few potential reasons for this, I still don't fully understand why?! Paddy over, I shall persevere!

This latest update includes something a little different. Yes, I have posted several albums of the SDR, and a couple from the DSR before, but these are a little different. Most notably, my photos of the DSR are taken from the water! Unfortunately this necessitated the use of an older, battered waterproof camera but it has still given me a few reasonable shots.

Hopefully noticeable in my SDR shots is that I have tried to experiment with the camera settings a bit more than usual, with the aim of bringing out a bit more colour, taking advantage of spotless locomotives and blue skies. The rails and ales gala is becoming an annual pilgrimage for me, even if I can't enjoy too many of the beers! I visited on the Friday as it was the only day with 3 steam locos running, including my first chance to ride behind 6412. It was a fantastic event as ever, though a slight dampener was seeing smokers going unchallenged on the platform at Staverton. One smoker was just dropping his butts on the floor, presumably oblivious to the fact that it would be a volunteer clearing it up.

I was also accompanied on both trips by my Dad. Not an railway enthusiast, but a kayak and beer enthusiast. Our Labrador, Joey, recently turned 11, also joined us and made plenty of friends at Staverton either side of a swim in the Dart.

Hercules skirts the edge of the Dart heading towards Kingswear

post-7423-0-88794600-1442525888_thumb.jpg

The Paddle Steamer heads upstream

post-7423-0-54587500-1442525901_thumb.jpg

Hercules leaves Kingswear, heading for Paignton

post-7423-0-24718600-1442525911_thumb.jpg

6412 sits at Buckfastleigh with its first train of the day

post-7423-0-67558500-1442525841.jpg

Union of South Africa under repair at Buckfastleigh

post-7423-0-52394900-1442525850.jpg

6412 pauses briefly at Totnes

post-7423-0-00856400-1442525860.jpg

L92 approaches Nappers Halt

post-7423-0-66613900-1442525869.jpg

3205 runs around its train at Totnes, with a mix of GWR and BR livery!

post-7423-0-89607200-1442525878.jpg

• 9 months later...

I have neglected to update this thread this year, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been visiting railways! I have just added my photos from the Bluebell's model railway weekend to my 2016 page, which also includes photos from the K&WVR, SDR and Dartmoor Railway.

Camelot passes the site of West Hoathly Station

post-7423-0-06530000-1467482928.jpg

Bluebell and 263 take the Victorian shuttle train into Horsted Keynes

post-7423-0-55473600-1467482945.jpg

6412 runs along the River Dart towards Totnes

post-7423-0-53919400-1467483289.jpg

1450 at the same location

post-7423-0-40090000-1467483316.jpg

75058 arrives at Oxenhope in wintery conditions

post-7423-0-65702600-1467483011.jpg

• 1 month later...

In July, I broke new ground, visiting 3 railways that I have never been to before! It was a scorching week and there was rarely a crowd in the sky. Lovely conditions but difficult for my camera and I to cope with! Here are a selection of the photos taken, the rest can be found on my Weebly as usual. First post is East Somerset Railway:

post-7423-0-62766600-1471897658.jpg

post-7423-0-10376200-1471897722.jpg

post-7423-0-88473800-1471897737.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

2016 has already been a busy year for my camera, but its not looking particularly likely that I'll be visiting any more railways this year.

This update includes something a little different, having been kayaking from Teignmouth to Dawlish, I tried to point my Dad's waterproof camera at the various HSTs, Voyagers and Pacers that run along the sea front. My sea kayaking experience is relatively limited, and it turns out that movement provides stability so slowing down or stopping to take photos of the trains was far more difficult than I had imagined! We had tried similar with a trip from Brixham to Goodrington earlier in the holiday, but the camera batteries were dead.

Also included are photos from a family trip on the Dartmouth Steam Railway, as well as a long awaited return to the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway.

Almost a year ago to the day, I started a post on this thread with a frustrated couple of lines about the lack of interest this thread seems to generate, wondering if it is worth my while to keep updating it. My website continues to receive a steady stream of hits however, and I would guess that this is due to the link in my signature as this thread gets buried quickly and I don't advertise anywhere else. I've worked out how to change the thread title so as to try to attract more interest, but any further tips would be most welcome!

Dawlish Sea Wall

post-7423-0-51601500-1474490125_thumb.jpg

Kingswear Station - DSR

post-7423-0-19812200-1474490137.jpg

Haverthwaite Station - L&HR

post-7423-0-27251100-1474490146.jpg

post-7423-0-99692000-1474490155.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived