Dapol 2884 class - dismantling

JohnBS

Hi all,

I have succumbed and bought the new Dapol 2884 class (2892) and have another on order (2872). The loco is generally very good but with a few annoying faults -

1). A very noticeable step in the tumble home of the firebox sides

2). Tender toolboxes are joined together

3). Safety valve cover painted as brass (only seen on preserved locos 2807?)

I am in the process of correcting these and anticipate converting one to a 28xx, with Churchward cab, no outside steampipes and other tweaks.

So, has anyone taken one apart yet, and written it up?

John

Not yet, mine is still awaiting running-in.

If you are planning to tinker it might be worth replacing the funnel. The model has a straight sided funnel but I believe the prototype had a taper (prepared to be corrected on this one).

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

Thanks for that - very helpful.

I've managed to adjust the firebox profile by judicious scrawking with a new scalpel blade and separated the conjoined tender toolboxes. While I was at it, I got rid of the plastic coal and replaced with the real stuff. Also removed front coupling, added crew and lever reverser to cab and fitted guard irons  Now, the paintwork is touched-up, including SV cover (Humbrol RC 405 acrylic is a near perfect match, both in colour and in sheen) and weathered and she's in the stock box as a runner.

Pictures to follow.

BTW broke one of the slide bar C-hangers; will have to replace with something a bit more durable when I have a go at the air pump.

John

Hi all,

As promised, a few photos of 2892.

post-18048-0-55758200-1363820728_thumb.jpg

Left hand side. The firebox waist shape is a bit more prototypical, the loco-tender gap has been reduced

post-18048-0-72883100-1363820555_thumb.jpg

Riight hand side. Work necessary to replace the broken C-hanger and to add the air pump

post-18048-0-69760000-1363820844_thumb.jpg

Rear. Cab detail, crew, coal in tender and separated tender toolboxes

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've been drooling over this in the magazines.  How suitable would one of these be for a coal mine area?

Very suitable. One their main duties was hauling long coal trains from the welsh coal fields.

Yes, but not running up to the mines themselves - the South Wales coal trains tended to originate from Cardiff & Swansea etc with the rakes of wagons from individual collieries arriving behind panniers etc. '28's wouldn't make it into the the heads of the valleys were the collieries were.  Great loco for a 100-wagon train on the 'main' - but not pulling 20 out of a pit....

Now someone will produce an image proving me wrong!

Regs

Ian

Archived