The Leodest & Larivane Light Railway

• RMweb Premium

Due to interest elsewhere on the board, I have decided to add a little thread here to show some shots of my outdoor line.  This is a totally freelance, not to scale in the slightest, narrow gauge-ish railway for the simple purpose of playing with BIG trains outdoors, which we do in most weathers.  We have to, over here.....it's not exactly Florida!

Mostly live steam, with some battery electric locos for rescuing steamers that have run out of puff, or for a quick run when I can't be bothered or have the time to prepare a steam loco.

These photos are spread over the last 8 years that the line has been in existence, in no particular order, just a demostration of how I waste my time.

This is 'Hermione Prumble', a Roundhouse Engineering (Doncaster, UK) colonial Fowler 0-6-2 tender loco, and very much the shedmaster's favourite.

post-10195-0-79187500-1362663227_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-58241600-1362663539_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

'Breeshey' (pro. Bree - sha) is another Roundhouse product, a 'Jack' class 0-4-0 saddletank.  I bought this used from a good friend, it has a professional lining job (the others are my own work) by Geoff Munday, 'Lightlines', no connection etc.  This little loco runs like a Swiss watch.

post-10195-0-43478000-1362664539_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-40631200-1362664646_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

'Lhen' ( a local river) is another Accucraft loco, this time a model of the Lynton & Barnstaple 'Lyn', a Baldwin 2-4-2 tank.  This loco also sports the custom made crests for my line.  Any resemblance to BR is purely deliberate!

post-10195-0-22528600-1362665202_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-08366700-1362665222_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

'Hibernia' is yet another Accuraft loco, closer to home this time.  She is a model of 'Caledonia', Isle of Man Railway 15, previously Manx Northern Railway 4, the most powerful loco on the island.  The prototype retuned to service a few weeks ago.  The blue livery was short lived, as the locals didn't like it, and I take a lot of flak over my model of it, indeed it has been seen with a large '1' on the tanks in some photoshoppery.....thanks 'mate'  :butcher:

All taken in good humour.

post-10195-0-99464900-1362665713_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-37578400-1362665766_thumb.jpg

That second shot of Doona heading towards the camera is superb.

Hi Paul! Fancy meeting you here!!!  Glad you liked it.

• RMweb Premium

The Caledonia's run very well together, they can both be linkied to the same transmitter, so double headers are easy.  Un-necessary, as these are quite the most powerful locos I have, but fun, and that's what this railway is about.

post-10195-0-72188000-1362666076_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-31494200-1362666087_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul! Fancy meeting you here!!!  Glad you liked it.

Yeah I lurk all over the place ;)

Cale' in black looks even better than blue, that even temps me to repaint mine from the IOM red! Reminds me of the 4ft Padarn locos. Mind you then I'd have two black locos and I'm not sure Lord Belborough will approve.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the model of Caledonia. I am off to the Isle of Mann next week so I'll keep an eye out for the real thing. Interestingly in 1994 Hutchinson was also painted in Blue and I thought it looked very smart although I suspect that the locals felt the same about that livery hence why it is not in Blue right now! 

• RMweb Premium

They think it's 'not original', Pete.  I find this odd, as the original IoM livery was dark green, the MNR's (Caledonia's original owners) maroon, then the whole fleet got painted indian red, then most got 'Ailsa' (apple) green.....so none of those were original either! But that's OK....apparently.

'Hutchinson' was painted a lighter blue in the 80's and that caused outrage too!  Funny, lot, the Manx.  As I'm only half Manx (Manx mum) I'm not afflicted by these opinions!  I thought Cale looked nice in the dark blue, and it seems a nice colour for a Scottish loco (Dad was Scots!).  It's back in MNR maroon now, they're making a lot of it's return to service a few weeks ago as a lot of the work was done by Jack Dibnah, son of Fred, who is a fitter on the railway.  Publicity!

• 1 year later...

Just seen this after reading through Hal's thread, a sobering experience.

I am insanely jealous and envious! I'm looking at doing 009 with the same types of locomotives in the future, but oh for the opportunity to do it in that scale!

Doug

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry, I missed your post.  It's great fun outside, so totally different to the rigors of normal modelling!  Playing trains, but real steam trains....

I am insanely jealous of your card modelling skills, so there we go!!

Cheers,

Neil

• 6 months later...

Archived