Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

This year, I'm pleased that Bachmann's living up to its Branchline tag with regards to its choices of tank locos and passenger stock. The E4 could be developed into a family of similar LBSCR locos and the 64XX could also be made into a 54XX with larger diameter wheels.

In addition, I praise them for also meeting long-standing requests for several new tooled editions of models including air-con Mk2s.

I commend Bachmann for producing the BR Hawksworth design of autocoach, if it is indeed the type chosen, as only BR liveries are listed, as they look quite different from the ex-Airfix version. Moreover two were named "Thrush" and "Wren" and several survive in preservation, including W233 formerly BR Research Centre "Test Car 1".

The SECR birdcage stock is another excellent idea and I saw it as a difficult judgement call to model that particular version as there were several varieties of length and styling built:

the short 46' types built just after the Chatham amalgamation in 1899;

the 50' length, one of which is fully restored on the Bluebell (SR 3363), and two other brakes also survive there, awaiting full restoration;

the 54' length, of which many were rebuilt and transferred to the Isle of Wight during 1948-49, two brakes survive in original form on the KESR (ex-Longmoor Military Railway) and three as modified (two 4-compt brakes and ex-CL) on the Isle of Wight;

and the 60 footers which Bachmann have chosen to model, of which one brake survives on the Bluebell. In various books about the Bluebell, this type appeared most often in photos taken in the 1950s behind Fairburn 2-6-4Ts and Ivatt 2-6-2Ts as well as Maunsell's N and U classes.

The only thing was they ran in 3-coach sets BT/CL/BTL, although one brake 3rd was converted into a push-pull coach minus birdcage http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1170.html  

Interesting that they are making a DBSO as they only have one coach to run with it! There was only one Mk2F FO in the ScotRail fleet, all the other Mk2 air-cons were Mk2E FO stock and Mk2D TSO and TSOT stock. Bachmann will have to air-brake their Mk2Z stock and paint that in ScotRail as well!

.....unless they plan to make other air-con coaches??????

37254 in Dutch, was that the number of the sound blue one they did, still want it tho and a mainline blue 37 too, better sell some Dapol mk2s off now, hope they do intercity in older type face on executive livery, still no sealed beam peak tho :-( or plain blue 47s. But in general enough there to keep me going

I wonder if the 24 is new tooling. Though I have what I need by another route it'd be good to see a rtr model without the compromised cab shape and with a better underframe than the current Bachmann model. If so one's hopes could  also be raised for an improved 25 too

I think this is the biggest and most critical question facing those with an interest in the 24/1 specifically and Derby Type 2s in general.  

At present, it seems that Bachmann will be producing the truly forgotten/ overlooked 24 variant between 24133 and 24150.  A narrowly missed open goal for those hoping for a Highland Baby Sulzer.  Maybe. 

• RMweb Gold

A Birdcage, unfortunately I can't remember the parentage or get a picture,  was in use by the S&T (IIRC labelled Oswestry) as late as 1967. It appeared in the Birmingham area during Saltley layout alterations and was parked opposite Saltley shed for a a time.

• RMweb Premium

57xx, 8750 and 64xx with different bunker/cab options. All in one announcement. Things have certainly changed since the 1970s...

I think the "different cab and bunker option" statement implies that a 74xx (4'71/2" wheels, non-auto fitted) will also be available later - these had a square join between cab rear and bunker, both the 54xx and 64xx had a radius end corner.

Guessing Bachmann have no plans to re-enter the 7mm market then?

Well I would have lost my bet ,as I thought they would have scales up on a few items and had a dabble with plastic injection models to join the band wagon of other manufacturers.

Also lost my bet on OO scale inspection saloon.

Hugh

Locomotives

Class 24/1

"50 Class 24 locomotives were designated Class 24/1 (No’s D5100-D5150 later No’s 24100-24150). They were delivered between February 1960 and January 1961. The first was withdrawn in August 1969 and the last in December 1976. No Class 24/1 has been preserved."

A welcome addition to the range! Assuming this statement is for the revised body-shell.

I think Bachmann have this slightly wrong here as D5050-D5150 were classified as 24/1.  There were only 37 locomotives with the revised headcode fitted bodyshell, all built at Derby,  D5114-D5150, also classified as Class 24/1, later 25115-24150 with D5114,D5122,D5131,D5138,D5139 and D5149 all withdrawn before receiving TOPs numbering. Of these D5114-D5132 were fitted with tablet catchers under the drivers sliding cab window.

There were however  a batch of 25 25/0's D5151-D5175, which followed on from Darlington, which were identical body-shells but with the up-rated Sulzer 6LD28B engine fitted at 1250 hp and electrical upgade, these becoming 25001-25. They also lacked steam heating apparatus. It would be quite feasable therefore for Bachmann to introduce the Class 25/0 to the fold without major alterations.

Well I would have lost my bet ,as I thought they would have scales up on a few items and had a dabble with plastic injection models to join the band wagon of other manufacturers.

Also lost my bet on OO scale inspection saloon.

Hugh

39-775                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon LMS Lined Maroon                                                  TBA

39-776                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon BR Maroon                                                                  TBA

39-777                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon BR Blue & Grey                                                          TBA

Some very interesting and welcome news there, thanks to Andy for taking the time to post all that!

With Dapol's 22 and Western aready here, the news of a brand new NBL Warship is the icing on the Hydraulic flavoured cake.... :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: . Makes me wonder if it can be altered to do a Swindon built 42, or whether they'll just retool their existing 42 if (when!) the 43s fly off the shelves... whatever transpires on that score, if they get the 43 bang on I'll be cockahoop. The existing 42 bodyshell still captures the shape of the Warships extremely well so it shouldn't be difficult to get the 43 right, it's just a case of getting the cab front and side windows looking right.... really looking forward to seeing how this progresses and turns out - Bachmann, if you're reading this it would be fantastic if you could take the same route Dapol took with their Hydraulics, sharing / asking for info and help on here, there are plenty of us who would love to help you out along the way....

Nobody seems to have asked this yet - is the class 43 is a new body tooling, and not just a renumber of their existing (ex-Mainline) class 42 as they've done in the past? Pretending that a 42 is a 43 is a bit naughty n this day and age  :nono:

The Birdcages looking interesting, as does the E4. Will they do the original shorter smokebox for the LBSC version? 

Good to see a state of the art Auto coach. May go for a pannier as well. Always fancied the Stanier mogul, so may get one as well. I'm sure CK can confirm they ran on the S&D. Looking down at re-issues, I see that the 3MT tank is listed in green and not have lining mentioned. I do hope so.

• RMweb Gold

Well, that should be a pretty easy conversion to a 74XX, and a good basis for a 54XX too. The lined BR green version is going to be extremely popular!...

According to the Bachmann website, the 64 will be offered with two cab variants:

One presumes they will be the curved cab to bunker sheet as the 64xx and then the right angled cab to bunker sheet for the 74xx.

From the site:

All new tooling

Two differing cab/bunker arrangements

Auto-trailer compatible

Representation of auto-fitted

equipment detailing

I'm very happy with this and as we have speculated in the past it looks as if the gaps in the GWR/BR pannier fleet continue to be filled.

Assuming the other panniers will follow what I need now is a rebuilt ex TVR A class (One is never happy)

A new Autocoach will also be welcome, and I hope that it will be an accurate model rather than the old Airfix (now Hornby) version which we all know is an amalgamation of two lot numbers.

The only down side to this news is the void that it will leave in my wallet

Regards

Richard

Edited for spelling errors due to over excitement.

39-775                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon LMS Lined Maroon                                                  TBA

39-776                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon BR Maroon                                                                  TBA

39-777                   LMS 50ft Inspection Saloon BR Blue & Grey                                                          TBA

Sorry missed that one - great news.

Hugh

Locomotives

Class 24/1

"50 Class 24 locomotives were designated Class 24/1 (No’s D5100-D5150 later No’s 24100-24150). They were delivered between February 1960 and January 1961. The first was withdrawn in August 1969 and the last in December 1976. No Class 24/1 has been preserved."

A welcome addition to the range! Assuming this statement is for the revised body-shell.

I think Bachmann have this slightly wrong here as D5050-D5150 were classified as 24/1.  There were only 37 locomotives with the revised headcode fitted bodyshell, all built at Derby,  D5114-D5150, classified as Class 24/1, later 25115-24150 with D5114,D5122,D5131,D5138,D5139 and D5149 all withdrawn before receiving TOPs numbering. Of these D5114-D5132 were fitted with tablet catchers under the drivers sliding cab window.

There were however  a batch of 25 25/0's D5151-D5175, which followed on from Darlington, which were identical body-shells but with the up-rated Sulzer 6LD28B engine fitted at 1250 hp and electrical upgade, these becoming 25001-25. They also lacked steam heating apparatus. It would be quite feasable therefore for Bachmann to introduce the Class 25/0 to the fold without major alterations.

For those of us who screamed at their laptops at the obvious missed opportunity here, I opened discussion over on the Highland Baby Sulzers thread.

I thought 5094 - 5150 were 24/1.  In any case the maths is wrong because 5100 to 5150 = 51 locos.

• RMweb Gold

Very impressed with the new and retooled coaches. I need a couple of Thompsons for a mixed inter-regional set I am putting together. Hopefully the Bulleids will be next in line. I also hope they make plenty of Birdcage brakes as I would expect most buyers to want the typical 3-set.

Excellent choice of wagons; there are several new types that I want. 

Less impressed with the choice of locos as my interests only skirt round the edge of the LMR. The E4, 64xx and Warship will do for me and the relative shortage means the Dukedog moves to my definite list. The Wickham trolley is something I have wanted for years.

Surprised that there is only one chassis upgrade and that it isn't the J39; maybe that would have been too many 0-6-0s for one year!

Also surprised that the Merchant Navy isn't being up-sized to OO while Hornby were holding the door wide open. With no new loco bigger than the Stanier mogul, they may also have missed a trick by not grabbing the high-polling S15 or 47xx this year.

All that said, more blue boxes than red will be coming through my door, just not as many as I hoped.

John    

Could I ask (tongue in cheek), what are ;

44-234                   Low Relief Public Convenience  ( the mind boggles ! )

Is that one where you get interrupted half way through having a tinkle? :mosking: 

Regarding the new releases, I'll just misquote Roy Scheider in Jaws: "I think I'm gonna need a bigger branchline"! 

wagons look interesting, ill have a tube wagon or 3, only built a kit of one ages ago and it warped.

What is interesting is how little interest has been expressed in the wagons. I don't do 4mm, but the Grain is well overdue (is the bauxite ones the piped version http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgo http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgp  as the vacuum braked one has a longer wheelbase as well as different brake rigging http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgv )

The Pipe and Tubes were only a small proportion of the total fleet when there were a million wagons, but by the 1970s they had largely replaced the RCH open merchandise as the open of choice - and then the engineers got hold of them and they had extended lives with some lovely liveries. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtube   http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpipe

And, for me, a personal win on the Warflat which I knew was finally on its way back in the summer, a very versatile base (as is the frame of the Pipe if they do the standard one with the drop link brake rigging). Just a few at http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=warflat (there are othes in the departmental conversions - tunnel inspection, crane runners...)

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to claim some credit for the Mk2F, I woke up today and decided to start hacking some of my Airfix/Dapol/Hornby stock into 'F's.  I think I'll pick up another job and start saving the pennies for the new ones.

I'll still have some modelling to do to turn the DBSO into an Anglia variant and some repainting - but that's why we're railway 'modellers'

Martin

BR Mk2F inc. DBSO

39-650 BR Mk2F FO First Open Blue & Grey £29.95

39-650DC BR Mk2F FO First Open Blue & Grey DCC TBA

39-652 BR Mk2F FO First Open InterCity £29.95

39-652DC BR Mk2F FO First Open InterCity DCC TBA

39-675 BR Mk2F TSO Tourist Second Open Blue & Grey £29.95

39-675DC BR Mk2F TSO Tourist Second Open Blue & Grey DCC TBA

39-677 BR Mk2F TSO Tourist Second Open InterCity £29.95

39-677DC BR Mk2F TSO Tourist Second Open InterCity DCC TBA

39-685 BR Mk2F RFB Restaurant First Buffet Blue & Grey (Preserved) £29.95

39-685DC BR Mk2F RFB Restaurant First Buffet Blue & Grey (Preserved) DCC TBA

39-686 BR Mk2F RFB Restaurant First Buffet InterCity £29.95

39-686DC BR Mk2F RFB Restaurant First Buffet InterCity DCC TBA

39-700 BR Mk2F BSO Brake Second Open Blue & Grey £29.95

39-700DC BR Mk2F BSO Brake Second Open Blue & Grey DCC TBA

39-701 BR Mk2F BSO Brake Second Open InterCity £29.95

39-701DC BR Mk2F BSO Brake Second Open InterCity DCC TBA

39-725DC BR Mk2 DBSO Driving Brake Second Open Blue & Grey DCC TBA

39-726DC BR Mk2 DBSO Driving Brake Second Open ScotRail DCC TBA

Yes please!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish now that I hadn't bought those R4216C's last year. Maybe a 'crystal ball' should be included in this years wish list poll!

Archived