Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

Just got the very nice 44=173 Brick Servicing Depot from Hattons.  It's actually a shortened version of the Great Central shed that stands disused at Dinting, formerly the Dinting Steam Centre museum.

post-1-0-89732100-1362989155_thumb.jpg

Here is the real thing.

dinting1.jpg

This will go nicely with the J11 I have ordered. (one was shedded at Dinting). My shed will be for my new Wigan GC small layout. Yes it's wrong for Lower Ince (Wigan GC) shed as that was two road, but I'm stuck for room. It's GC so it will do !!.

The adjoining 44-174 Bachmann Branchline Side Office / Workshop goes with the above, and strangely enough is also part of the Dinting shed (at the rear).

Both models are very nice, though expensive.

http://www.ehattons.com/60729/Bachmann_Branchline_44_174_Side_Office_Workshop/StockDetail.aspx

Here is the real thing, big picture so I'll post a link

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/119/285462904_4a12bb6aa7_o.jpg

I unfortunately also got a 44-186 Bachmann Branchline Great Central Water Tower, paid £23.76 for it, what an absolute crap model. Way too small in both tank dia & height. Just not worth the money. I have bashed mine into an industrial loco tank, it'll do for that. First "dud" model I have ever had from Bachmann.  Perhaps it's me - it just didn't look correct. I won't bother with the Bachmann GC water crane, I'll buy a white metal one.

Brit15

• 3 weeks later...

A number of "Train sets" which I have not seen before now on Kernow site. I wonder what the Silver anniversarry set maybe ?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/index.html?action=23

They have now appeared on the Bachmann web site.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=162&vis=2

I have to go for the Railway Children set. NO use to me what so ever but I just have to have one.

Mike Wiltshire

I think the train sets are brilliant and excellent value for money. The ambulance train set looks more realistic than Hornby's WW1 Troop Train.

When did Swindon ever paint a City that colour (should have chosen the mogul which did carry it) and when did it run with Midland Stock (in fact are those coaches actually LMS 1920's build)? Swindon had its own ambulance train converted from GWR toplights.At least Hornby's troop train has some accuracy attached to it.

Has to be the most unrealistic set in the collection.

Mike Wiltshire

Hmmm....some lovely packs there.

As much as I would love to see a silver A4 with CORRECT streamlined Gresley stock, I wonder if the Silver Jubilee set will contain the J72 and LMS 5552, as a nod to the companies roots and anniversary.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm....some lovely packs there.

As much as I would love to see a silver A4 with CORRECT streamlined Gresley stock, I wonder if the Silver Jubilee set will contain the J72 and LMS 5552, as a nod to the companies roots and anniversary.

And with the upgraded A4 chassis......

When did Swindon ever paint a City that colour (should have chosen the mogul which did carry it) and when did it run with Midland Stock (in fact are those coaches actually LMS 1920's build)? Swindon had its own ambulance train converted from GWR toplights.At least Hornby's troop train has some accuracy attached to it.

Has to be the most unrealistic set in the collection.

Mike Wiltshire

We've only got the box artwork to go on rather than a photo of the actual set, but as you say, it's an odd combination. Looking at the artwork, the loco colour seems to suggest the 'ROD' colours that Didcot painted their 43xx Mogul in a couple of years back, but with GWR rather than ROD identity on the tender (though I can't imagine any Cities were taken into ROD service!). Actually, as Bachmann have got the Mogul in their range, using that in ROD colours might have been a better choice for this release...

I suspect they've used the LMS coaches because they're the only thing close to a pre-grouping coach in Bachmann's catalogue- although IIRC, some of that early 'Period 1' LMS stock was used for ambulance train conversions early in WW2- A mischievous little thought occurs that maybe someone at Bachmann saw a photo of one of these, and thought they could wing it and get away with applying a WW1 ambulance train livery to them, although given the paintjob they're suggesting for the City, I wonder whether the livery of the coaches will be an accurate reflection of a WW1 MR ambulance train, or a spurious Bachmann invention...

It's still an odd combination though (though the thought occurs, did ambulance trains work off their 'native' lines?)- I'd have thought the Compound or even 3F or 4F would have been a much better fit with the 'Midland' coach set

I notice the "Thames Clyde" includes the Period I carriages in fully lined LMS livery, which I think is a first for these models at any time in their 35 year+ life. They've gained Railway Children livery too :)

No, I don't remember them being released in the early fully-lined livery either. Must admit, I'm tempted by that set simply to get hold of a set of those...

The shortage of coaches for 1914 trains highlights the problem of a lack of pre-grouping coaches and wagons to go with their pre-grouping locomotives. The situation will improve when Bachmann bring out their SECR dark lake Birdcage coaches.

It is likely that Midland Railway coaches did venture on to the GWR. I have a picture of a rake of GWR coaches at Swanage on the LSWR so there were inter railway workings.

• RMweb Gold

We've only got the box artwork to go on rather than a photo of the actual set, but as you say, it's an odd combination. Looking at the artwork, the loco colour seems to suggest the 'ROD' colours that Didcot painted their 43xx Mogul in a couple of years back, but with GWR rather than ROD identity on the tender (though I can't imagine any Cities were taken into ROD service!). Actually, as Bachmann have got the Mogul in their range, using that in ROD colours might have been a better choice for this release...

I suspect they've used the LMS coaches because they're the only thing close to a pre-grouping coach in Bachmann's catalogue- although IIRC, some of that early 'Period 1' LMS stock was used for ambulance train conversions early in WW2- A mischievous little thought occurs that maybe someone at Bachmann saw a photo of one of these, and thought they could wing it and get away with applying a WW1 ambulance train livery to them, although given the paintjob they're suggesting for the City, I wonder whether the livery of the coaches will be an accurate reflection of a WW1 MR ambulance train, or a spurious Bachmann invention...

It's still an odd combination though (though the thought occurs, did ambulance trains work off their 'native' lines?)- I'd have thought the Compound or even 3F or 4F would have been a much better fit with the 'Midland' coach set

Ambulance trains went wherever they needed to go and the same applied to troop trains and much other traffic too. Many of the odd practices of the pre-WW1 railways were swept away under the greater governmental control imposed during wartime.

The idea of having to trans-ship a trainload of wounded men on stretchers (or soldiers and their kit) between trains of two different railway companies doesn't bear thinking about!

John

• RMweb Gold

Ambulance trains went wherever they needed to go and the same applied to troop trains and much other traffic too. Many of the odd practices of the pre-WW1 railways were swept away under the greater governmental control imposed during wartime.

The idea of having to trans-ship a trainload of wounded men on stretchers (or soldiers and their kit) between trains of two different railway companies doesn't bear thinking about!

John

Yes, I assume the shortest sea-route back to Blighty would be favoured, thus putting Dover and Folkestone firmly in the frame for most ambulance trains. Newhaven might also feature.

Yes, I assume the shortest sea-route back to Blighty would be favoured, thus putting Dover and Folkestone firmly in the frame for most ambulance trains. Newhaven might also feature.

There were RoRo ferries introduced in WW1 - the main one was at Richborough. A set associated with WW1 is likely to be popular in this anniversary year.

Paul Bartlett

The shortage of coaches for 1914 trains highlights the problem of a lack of pre-grouping coaches and wagons to go with their pre-grouping locomotives. The situation will improve when Bachmann bring out their SECR dark lake Birdcage coaches.

It is likely that Midland Railway coaches did venture on to the GWR. I have a picture of a rake of GWR coaches at Swanage on the LSWR so there were inter railway workings.

Midland coaches did venture onto the GWR with regular workings into the west with balanced workings of GWR stock heading off system. The GWR even owned ex Midland coaches on the M&SWJR after the grouping.The GWR owned ex LSWR sleeping cars.  GWR coaches ran daily to Brighton, Liverpool, and Manchester, York, Newcastle to name but a few destinations.

I agree with your sentiment regarding lack of pre-grouping coaches but my point remains that the 'always better than Hornby'  Bachmann are introducing a world war I set with an engine that never was used in Kaki and with coaches not built until the 1920's. At least the Hornby troop train has GWR coaches that existed in that period (I agree in the wrong livery) with an engine used for such duties.

I am first in the queue for the Railway Children set as it is all fictitious anyway. but the ambulance train.....how could they get it so wrong?

Mike Wiltshire

Thought obvious for the mystery Jubilee set

Silver LNER A4 with Silver Jubilee Coaches :O :jester:

By coincidence? the regular Hornby spam-o-gram email had a link to this today.

I guess there's a thread here already on it. I know this is a "RAILROAD" item, but did Silver Fox not carry a name plate, but chrome letters on the side when originally liveried for the Silver Jubilee?

I presume your jest is related to the representational quality of the Hornby coaches.

More relevant to the Bachmann announcement, what coaches are the "Pullmans" in the Shakespeare set? These MK1s? Pulled by a GREAT <arms> WESTERN liveried Hall? 

Surely not?

By coincidence? the regular Hornby spam-o-gram email had a link to this today.

I guess there's a thread here already on it. I know this is a "RAILROAD" item, but did Silver Fox not carry a name plate, but chrome letters on the side when originally liveried for the Silver Jubilee?

I presume your jest is related to the representational quality of the Hornby coaches.

More relevant to the Bachmann announcement, what coaches are the "Pullmans" in the Shakespeare set? These MK1s? Pulled by a GREAT <arms> WESTERN liveried Hall? 

Surely not?

Rood Ashton Hall is based at Tyseley and is a regular on the Shakespeare Express run by Vintage Trains. The rolling stock is appropriate for 2014, I am fairly sure that Tyseley have at least two Mk 1 Pulmans and as far as I can see Rood Ashton Hall will be in the condition it is in at present. Photo at Tyseley attached.

post-4790-0-66898500-1391549831_thumb.jpg

Archived