Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

As this thread has come alive, does anyone know when Bachmann will announce their 2015 range ?

Thanks.

With last years announcements being so late will they bother! As I recall (though I could easily be mistaken) didn;t the catalog say 2014-15?

Ian_B

At the time Bachmann were quite clear. The 2014 release date was specifically moved so as to tie in with a specific anniversary. It was to be a one off event and they quite clearly stated that in 2015, Bachmann would reveal their plans for 2015 / 2016 at their usual time (March / April IIRC)

Guest spet0114

ooo!!! Thats not far off!

Yes, we haven't got much time for a massive wishlisting thread.....:)

Still, we'll do what we can. I'll start off with a 5-WES, an LNER P1 and a Class 13.

Decisions on what is going to made in the next 18 months I think will have already been made as printing of the catalogue will either have been done or will shortly be done.

So any wishing I would have thought by now ought to be directed towards 2016 !!!

• RMweb Premium

Must coincide with the next edition of the Collectors mag. 

I wouldn't over froth! There's still a huge backlog of models to be produced and given, what I think was, last years muted introductions I'd be surprised if there were more than 1 or 2 announcements .  It will be interesting to see reactions to last years massive price increases (see the pressflo thread) , whether the modelling community accepted them or not and whether its full steam ahead on new introductions or something more sober

... I wouldn't over froth! There's still a huge backlog of models to be produced and given, what I think was, last years muted introductions I'd be surprised if there were more than 1 or 2 announcements .  ...

Actually, I'd expect a massive programme to be announced this year. With the growth in the number of competitors (commissioning retailers and "traditional" manufacturers alike), all announcing product earlier and earlier, anyone who doesn't get an announcement in early risks either losing that prototype to a competitor or facing a barrage of accusations that they're trying to destroy the poor little new-start underdogs.

So the market now makes people announce as much product as early as possible, to stake out their territory. Ergo - Bachmann will announce a big programme.

Which is annoying: I'm still waiting for some stuff Bachmann announced two or more years ago now. No sign of any of the stuff I wanted.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Decisions on what is going to made in the next 18 months I think will have already been made as printing of the catalogue will either have been done or will shortly be done.

So any wishing I would have thought by now ought to be directed towards 2016 !!!

For delivery in 2018-19, presumably.

It doesn't look like half the stuff announced for 2013-14 will be out until 2016!

The announcements will be made after 13.00 on Monday 2nd March.

Hmmm. That contradicts what I was just told. I rang them up and was put through to one of the ladies organising it and she, categorically, said end of March. I pressed for an actual date but she could not confirm but definately second half of month.

Perhaps someone can list the stuff still outstanding from previous years so we can start with a clean sheet... Would be useful.

• RMweb Premium

Not how it works: properly carried out, frothing is a quasi-magical process intended to change the manufacturer's plans retrospectively so that when the Announcement is made the frother's wished-for items are present.  That's why it can be conducted right up to and even, apparently, after the moment of Announcement (though from that point onwards, it rapidly morphs into a shamanistic chant to ward off the demon Disappointment).

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm. That contradicts what I was just told. I rang them up and was put through to one of the ladies organising it and she, categorically, said end of March. I pressed for an actual date but she could not confirm but definately second half of month.

Perhaps someone can list the stuff still outstanding from previous years so we can start with a clean sheet... Would be useful.

Igor

As Andy and other members of the media have been officially invited by Bachmann for the announcement on the 2nd March there is no need to question Andy's statement.

......   So any wishing I would have thought by now ought to be directed towards 2016 !!!

As Simon Kohler said of his time at Hornby such decisions were generally made about 18 months before the announcement date  -  so  IF  Bachmann work about the same way, we are well beyond the 2016 announcements.

Yes, we haven't got much time for a massive wishlisting thread..... :)

My wish is that we could keep the speculation threads to good guesses rather than pure wishlisting. (I will admit there is a lot of overlap between those two.)

I wouldn't over froth! There's still a huge backlog of models to be produced and given, what I think was, last years muted introductions I'd be surprised if there were more than 1 or 2 announcements .

Actually, I'd expect a massive programme to be announced this year. With the growth in the number of competitors (commissioning retailers and "traditional" manufacturers alike), all announcing product earlier and earlier, anyone who doesn't get an announcement in early risks either losing that prototype to a competitor or facing a barrage of accusations that they're trying to destroy the poor little new-start underdogs.

Two interesting points of view there. It will be interesting to see which approach Bachmann chooses.

It is abundantly clear that they won't be delivering a lot of new (unannounced) releases soon (unless they are doing a lot of stealth development like Hornby likes to do).  They do a pretty good job of explaining where their models are in the development process and right now many of their already announced models are well into 2016 for delivery to customers.

On he other hand, the recent flood of new product announcements captures mind share (and pre-orders) that Bachmann may not want to miss out on. We'll have to see.

yes but think about it, if following the logic that decisions will have been made 18 months or so back about this years program i am sure we can all imagine the almighty slating anybody who so much as dared stick their head above the parapet in say October 2013 to start a wishlist frothing or reasoned guess (delete as appropriate depending on what camp or clique you like to imagine you are in) would have had to endure.........

i think it can all be take a bit too seriously sometimes so if folk like to speculate even if the models have been decided.......so what.....wheres the harm?

Anyways, I think Farish will be the big mover and shaker this year.........lots more in N.

I don't think there is any harm. It may have been decided, but we the punters still do not know!

I also hope we will see a few more N releases announced from the Bachmann camp after the very "thin" pickings in 2014 but I'm not holding my breath as there are a number of items (e.g. 64xx Pannier and Castle) that haven't even got as far as tooling being commenced yet.

True, we will be seeing a fair number of releases landing during forthcoming months (A2, 4F 0-6-0, N Class, "Spam Can") so the backlog does appear to be getting smaller and will likely continue to reduce by the time any new products that are announced do arrive, but I still think the days of big announcements in N are to an extent probably over.

I would think possibly no more than one steam loco and one diesel or electric plus a few items of rolling stock will be announced if we are realistic. The "Crab" has been out of the catalogue for a few years now and the availability of the 4F's tender makes it a logical prediction (which is probably why it won't be that!).

Roy.  

The "Crab" has been out of the catalogue for a few years now and the availability of the 4F's tender makes it a logical prediction (which is probably why it won't be that!).

Roy.  

The Crab is logical - an old Farish stalwart, some parts of common tooling in existence now as you say, and Bachmann will have their research and drawings for their OO Crab to draw on. Seems like a fair bet in the next few years.

Cheers,

Alan

As this thread has come alive, does anyone know when Bachmann will announce their 2015 range ?

Thanks.

were going to the 2015 product launch in March and we get a 2015 catalogue to help us do our orders, so hopefully the 2015 catalogue will appear not long after. 

were going to the 2015 product launch in March and we get a 2015 catalogue to help us do our orders, so hopefully the 2015 catalogue will appear not long after.

I'm sure Bachmann already know what will be in the announcement but an ex SECR 'H' class would be nice. It's high in the wanted polls & Bachmann have already done the 'C'.

Even if delivery were not until 2017 an announcement now may stop any unnecessary duplication by another manufacturer, which can only benefit the hobby in the long run.

Archived