Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

Have we already begun a stealth Bachmann speculation / wishlisting thread for the March announcement?

Based on the posts here it appears so and seems to have begun around the first of this month.

Few recent posts seem to be related to Bachmann's announcements from last year.

Doubtless a separate Bachmann 2015 announcement speculation thread will begin relatively soon.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't Bachmann rule out multiple units last year on grounds they would be too expensive to produce and that they wouldn't have been able to produce the 350 or Blue Pullman at today's prices? So I think an electro star is extremely unlikely, along with anything else that's more than 2 cars long . Afraid that also means the 120,which I would certainly find attractive , but which I think is ruled out because of the above, and the need for special couplings , wiring to enable it to be controlled by one dcc chip. Personally I'd settle for simple couplings if it meant it got produced.

Bachmann have already tooled the necessary couplers for existing models including the Hampshire DEMU produced for Kernow Models.

Yes, the price of a Swindon 120 would likely come out north of £150 but I'd definitely buy one and a second if they give me a few months breather before releasing an 'A' version. :angel: I also am not especially bothered about working lights or through wiring, maybe these should be left to aftermarket providers?

I've already begun to thin out my little fleet of two-car units so I'm not interested in more of those.

John

• RMweb Gold

Have we already begun a stealth Bachmann speculation / wishlisting thread for the March announcement?

Based on the posts here it appears so and seems to have begun around the first of this month.

Doubtless a separate Bachmann 2015 announcement speculation thread will begin relatively soon.

Yes, yes, yes and yes! The only word I might take issue with is "stealth" :jester:

John

In view of the deluge of red boxes that have appeared in the last few months, I'd say Hornby have made great progress in the supply department. If anything, it's now the blue boxes that are lagging behind. The "Coming Soon" section on the Bachmann UK website is looking decidedly sparse.

While I'd welcome one of these from Farish, I seem to remember some debate about National Collection engines being targetted - in any scale I'd have one of these NER beauties: 

You can have one if you want in 4mm.

post-1191-0-87726800-1423038443.jpg

This is one built by John James from the Steve Barnfield kit, now available from London Road Models. I believe a kit is also available from the 3mm Society and in 7mm from Gladiator Models. Union Mills also did one in N gauge, RTR although I believe it is no longer available.

Of course the caveat is that you either have to build it from a kit yourself, or persuade someone to do it for you. Which is what RTR models are about, I suppose.

Didn't Bachmann rule out multiple units last year on grounds they would be too expensive to produce and that they wouldn't have been able to produce the 350 or Blue Pullman at today's prices? So I think an electro star is extremely unlikely, along with anything else that's more than 2 cars long . Afraid that also means the 120,which I would certainly find attractive , but which I think is ruled out because of the above, and the need for special couplings , wiring to enable it to be controlled by one dcc chip. Personally I'd settle for simple couplings if it meant it got produced.

It's difficult to build enthusiasm though when items that were announced 2 years ago are still at a very early stage of development. I'm thinking Stanier 2-6-0 here , not that I want one, but can I get excited about something that might appear 3 or 4 years hence?

I think it was the 4 car units (presumably EMUs from what they've produced) which were highlighted. I'm not sure it necessarily rules out 3 car units as it will get very restrictive to only produce units which were available as 2 car.

In view of the deluge of red boxes that have appeared in the last few months, I'd say Hornby have made great progress in the supply department. If anything, it's now the blue boxes that are lagging behind...

That's been a creeping realisation concerning my RTR purchases over the past year or thereabouts. I returned to OO because of the Bachmann Blue Riband launch, and it was a decade or more before Hornby sold me anything like as much as Bachmann did over a year. But recently, near everything has been in a red box, plus a couple of items from Heljan. Spent more on kits than with Bachmann over the past 15 months. Quite a turn around.

• RMweb Gold

It all down to what you model I am still waiting for a lot of blue boxes being released. And Hornby have only just come back on my radar with the coming ex lms suburban stock and horse box after years of nothing since the scots and pats

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann will definitely announce a retooled class 25 and a MK1 BSO. I know this because those are my current workbench projects.....

You should be ok with your Class 25; I can't see Bachmann touching that before the Class 24/1 reaches the shelves.

Few would argue with your powers of observation.....  :)  You missed an opportunity methinks to start your unstealthy version..........

You missed an opportunity methinks to start your unstealthy version..........

It was a gentle hint - to wait or for someone so inclined to start one.

Excepting Larry's early thread last year, as a forum norm, lately we seem to do these threads with not much more than two weeks or so before the day of the announcement, though recently the Warley announcement changed the tone of the annual Hornby froth fest.

I've reached a level of froth fatigue influenced by so many announced models that I am now patiently waiting for. Getting worked up over new ones that we won't see for perhaps 24 months or so is less exciting.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You should be ok with your Class 25; I can't see Bachmann touching that before the Class 24/1 reaches the shelves.

Bachmann will definitely announce a retooled class 25 and a MK1 BSO. I know this because those are my current workbench projects.....

Hornby have beaten them to it with the MK1 BSO - even if Bachmann now considered doing it, when would be likely to actually see it - 2020 ?  cancelled my pre-order for a 24/1 that was announced 2013/14 ! -  apart from the fact it would most likely retain the wrong profile cab roof with a headcode box added.

• RMweb Premium

cancelled my pre-order for a 24/1 that was announced 2013/14 ! -  apart from the fact it would most likely retain the wrong profile cab roof with a headcode box added.

Presumably there are sufficient similarities between a 24/0 and 24/1 for the 24/1 to be on SLW's radar through different tooling options with its 24/0, so if Bachmann doesn't get its version to retail soon it may get pipped at the post.

Does anyone know anything about 31-025A Class 166 Networker 3 Car DMU 166216 Network SouthEast Weathered ... rather late and still no delivery date on the Bachmann website.

As this popped up on a necropost I guess I'll just add I managed to get one of the previous batch at a show :)

Presumably there are sufficient similarities between a 24/0 and 24/1 for the 24/1 to be on SLW's radar through different tooling options with its 24/0, so if Bachmann doesn't get its version to retail soon it may get pipped at the post.

I'm happy to wait for an SLW version, logically it's likely to be on the future to-do list.................

I think it was the 4 car units (presumably EMUs from what they've produced) which were highlighted. I'm not sure it necessarily rules out 3 car units as it will get very restrictive to only produce units which were available as 2 car.

great shame, or was i the only person still wating and hoping for a BEP to follow the lovely 4 CEP ?!?

Archived