Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

I guess it's a sign of the times - staff cuts and all that - but I've just noticed that the previous Bachmann 'Warship' was double-manned in BOTH cabs! Re-assigning two of them gives me a crew for the Class 43, IF I can get them in!

CHRIS LEIGH

Lucky you!  You probably have a production error there.  Someone is wondering why his Bachmann loco doesn't have a crew ;)

I just took a look at all of mine and none has crew at both ends including D827 which I think was the most recent iteration of the 42.

Lucky you!  You probably have a production error there.  Someone is wondering why his Bachmann loco doesn't have a crew ;)

I just took a look at all of mine and none has crew at both ends including D827 which I think was the most recent iteration of the 42.

That's most interesting! I thought at the time that it seemed a bit 'generous' as Bachmann once told us at a press conference that it added £3 to the cost to put a driver in a diesel - and that was, maybe, 15 years ago. 

CHRIS LEIGH

That's most interesting! I thought at the time that it seemed a bit 'generous' as Bachmann once told us at a press conference that it added £3 to the cost to put a driver in a diesel - and that was, maybe, 15 years ago. 

CHRIS LEIGH

I have D817 Foxhound in maroon- Bachmann 32-050, which has crew at both ends, which is the only one of my three 42s that has this. Probably a production issue

Edited by rembrow

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm sure it costs much more now. Even if it costs double, I think it's well worth it.

What is funny about ready to run locos is the company goes mad to get every detail right and realistic and then sticks a driver in with a blob for a face!

dave

I have to concede that point. Drivers also look as if they're wearing Balaclava helmets. It's amazing the difference it makes to paint a tiny line of flesh colour over the collar at the back. Instead of a blob, a thin layer of flesh colour over black produces a reasonable representation of a dirty face and doesn't hide the detail so badly. Of course, the ears need attention as well.

• RMweb Gold

Postie brought these today - amongst other things

post-7138-0-84303300-1435171340.jpg

Yippee

That will be

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6310128976/in/album-72157627920981333/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309614977/in/album-72157627920981333/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_05_2015/post-6925-0-37539000-1430494508_thumb.jpg

respectively - thanks to Grahame and NEil for sharing the photos as usual

Should be a fairly rapid (Hee hee) job once they arrive - all renumberings with Fox transfers number sets, Brian's plates to fit and adjustments of OHLE flashes - and double arrow of course for Strongbow

Bring them on

Phil

• Like 5

Those early 1968-73 period data panel stickers come up for sale on ebay occasionally, they're much simpler looking than the post '73 Tops versions, here's a correct early one on 'Western Ranger'...

post-7638-0-59986500-1435256311_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-96909500-1435256378.jpg

;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mr TV turned up last weekend with a fantastic document - a list of all Class 42/43 Warship workings through Cheltenham in 1971, an absolute gold mine. Taken from the Loco T cards owned by Mark Alden - many thanks Mark!

I was expecting most of the workings...

1B01 Paddington - Worcester newspapers

5B73 Malago Vale - empty Worcester vans

1B44 Worcester - Paignton and 1B78 return

4V03 Brum - Bristol parcels

7E18 Worcester - Temple Mills freight

As I suspected turns out the loco that worked 5B73 often worked 4V03, getting up to Brum on 6M20 parcels from Worcester

But - hold on to your hats - how about 1S56 - that's the Newton Abbott - Stirling Motor- rail on two occasions - and on one of there as far as Crewe, returning on 1V87 Manchester - Penzance.

Then theres 1M08 FO Paignton - Manchester FO as far as Brum on several occasions, looks like the loco then disappeared off to Saltley whilst they worked out what to do with it although on one occasion 1V91 York Bristol was a lucky train - and on another 7V63 Tinsley to Severn Tunnel Junction had the honour.

I just hope the headcodes on these new 43s are easy to remove!!!! Going to be busy....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Cracking info there Phil... it'd be interesting to know which way 7V63 was routed from Saltley on that occasion, ie: up to Camp Hill then down the Lickey or via Tyseley and down the Glos & Warks through Stratford, Honeybourne and Toddington. Warships were never that common on the latter route, never mind the former...!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nidge

Wtt says via Lickey so Camp Hill - largely it was only class 8s via Toddington at this time, presumably to keep them out of the way and avoid all that brake pinning down....

No guarantee that happened on the day of course - but have see a picture of a 43 at Blackwell on a down freight, cant put my hands on it at the moment though...

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Mr TV turned up last weekend with a fantastic document - a list of all Class 42/43 Warship workings through Cheltenham in 1971, an absolute gold mine. Taken from the Loco T cards owned by Mark Alden - many thanks Mark!

But - hold on to your hats - how about 1S56 - that's the Newton Abbott - Stirling Motor- rail on two occasions - and on one of there as far as Crewe, returning on 1V87 Manchester - Penzance.

I just hope the headcodes on these new 43s are easy to remove!!!! Going to be busy....

Phil

In 1971, the Newton Abbot to Stirling/Sheffield motorail trains (5 up and 5 down per week) were diagrammed for 6 TCV car carriers, a type more normally associated with the ECML overnight services. Only ever seen photos of Westerns and 47s on them. Southern Pride Models do a kit....... :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mr Stovepipe!

Got a feeling there might have been two sets - one of TCVs, wasn't the other standard motor- rail flats? Certainly pictures at Newton Abbott with TCVs in - I never saw them through Abbotswood but when you see the timing of the train its hardly surprising - never did an all nighter there, once it got dark in the wilds of the countryside you couldn't see a thing....!

Yes the Southern Pride kits are on the radar but given Bachmann's liking of all things ECML I reckon they might appear RTR eventually.....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

A while back I was interesting in seeing where they got to, so I trawled Robert Carroll's coach working diagrams. The 1971 diagrams on the WR were:

13.25 TFSO Newton Abbot - Sheffield 19.12
GUV+2TCV+4TCV+3FK+3SLSTP+BSO

23.50 TFSO Sheffield - Newton Abbot 05.50
GUV+2TCV+4TCV+3FK+3SLSTP+BSO

18.40 WO & Sun Newton Abbot - Stirling 06.00
3FK+3SLSTP+RU+BSO+4TCV+2TCV

23.03 MThO Stirling - Newton Abbot 09.35
3FK+3SLSTP+RU+BSO+4TCV+2TCV

Sorry I don't have the headcodes for 1971, but the first one would have passed through on Saturday afternoon. I've only ever seen two photos of them in transit on the WR. No wonder they were always dirty, they didn't seem to stop anywhere long enough to be cleaned! Yes, there was a set of carflats that did alternate days on the NA - Stirling train.

The SPM models look pretty good, although the bogie well looks like it might be a tad deep. You may be right about RTR one day, they were certainly pretty individual stock.

• RMweb Gold

1S56 up to Stirling 22.25 Abbotswood, 1V54 down to NA - 06.11 Abbotswood

1E01 up to Sheffield, 16.25 Abbotswood, 1V53 down to NA - 02.21 Abbotswood

Load 14 - significant trains! Now where can I get a BSO????

Phil

• RMweb Gold

It was nice to get an acknowledgement in said BRM article, having had a bit of correspondence with the boss over the 43s and preproduction shots of the models.

There will be a RMweb resource on class 43 details including livery timelines according to the article. I've seen the livery Gannt chart - it's very good - and accurate as far as I'm concerned. I'm guessing Andy will post that in a separate thread.

Neil

• Like 2