Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Stovepipe

According to Andy Y's reference material she was allocated to 82A around this time - the only one I think!

The photo of her at Bristol 3 months later in a dreadful state minus a name plate would certainly fit with that - is there a record anywhere please?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

We've got a sound chip in D843 - didn't run well on a cheapo Bacchy chip at all, is OK on the Loksound

Yet to run Spartan and Sprightly in and none of them have run on the layout yet so will hold judgment on running characteristics for the moment

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks it will be interesting to see what you find. To back up my observations - the NBL is circulating my roundy test track in 2/3rds of the time the class 40 takes (newest 21-pin type) at minimum voltage. The NBLs top speed is sufficient to send it off the track.

• RMweb Gold

The screw couplings as supplied by Bachmann are alright unless you try to use them. Then, in my experience, they tend to break apart into their component parts. I've, therefore, gone back to using the Smiths items.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

The NBLs top speed is sufficient to send it off the track.

Mine is as well, mine will do 160mph light engine, leaves a Smokey Joe for dust. This is the most disappointing recent new locomotive I have bought in the running department, it is massively over geared which although you can just about get it to do a slow start it is hard work accompanied by much flickering of lights.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks it will be interesting to see what you find. To back up my observations - the NBL is circulating my roundy test track in 2/3rds of the time the class 40 takes (newest 21-pin type) at minimum voltage. The NBLs top speed is sufficient to send it off the track.

Ah - but the advantage with DCC is I can programme the top speed on the loksound chip. Wouldn't want any Pegasus imitations!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The screw couplings as supplied by Bachmann are alright unless you try to use them. Then, in my experience, they tend to break apart into their component parts. I've, therefore, gone back to using the Smiths items.

With regards,

Rob.

Ah - as we fit wire coupling loops they are only cosmetic for us.... usually!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Phil. I was hoping that might be the case. Those screw couplings are definitely not usable! I also prefer to use the wire loops - you can then fit the buffer beam details, including the ''dummy'' screw couplings.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Phil. I was hoping that might be the case. Those screw couplings are definitely not usable! I also prefer to use the wire loops - you can then fit the buffer beam details, including the ''dummy'' screw couplings.

With best regards,

Rob.

Cheers Rob

And that makes such a difference doesn't it? Particularly on the hydraulics with their distinctive deep front valances

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

It's in the Book of the Warships, page 210 - Bath Road 03/69 - 06/69 officially stored, but used on pw trains and lifting the old MR route to Bath.

Well mine isn't improved by being run in - have you run yours on DC at all?

I remember those track lifting photos Stovepipe taken in 1969 when the line was singled. Unfortunately although the page is still active the photos are gone.

A nice inspirational one for Phil here though, D845 minus plates, and maroon valance panel. Bath road still using the old girl quite late in the summer.

http://www.railblue.com/pages/Photo%20Galleries/David%20Mant%20Collection/DMC_D845_BR_270869.htm

Neil

• Like 1

Another 2 43s have joined my Sharpshooter only D865 has been turned back into a class 42 as D832 Onslaught with full yellow while in maroon. D835 Pegasus also joins the fleet in double arrow ex works condition.

Again my 1st and 2nd blue 842 had items of detail missing this time the link couplings but the maroon one arrived with all parts.

Richard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another 2 43s have joined my Sharpshooter only D865 has been turned back into a class 42 as D832 Onslaught with full yellow while in maroon. D835 Pegasus also joins the fleet in double arrow ex works condition.

Again my 1st and 2nd blue 842 had items of detail missing this time the link couplings but the maroon one arrived with all parts.

Richard

That's great Richard

If we carry on like this we will have the full set soon

Letter in post to you....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember those track lifting photos Stovepipe taken in 1969 when the line was singled. Unfortunately although the page is still active the photos are gone.

A nice inspirational one for Phil here though, D845 minus plates, and maroon valance panel. Bath road still using the old girl quite late in the summer.

http://www.railblue.com/pages/Photo%20Galleries/David%20Mant%20Collection/DMC_D845_BR_270869.htm

Neil

Thanks Neil

Yup had seen that one - theoretically she had completed her 3 months in store at 82A by then and been transferred to 83A but that looks like a stored loco to me!

I wonder if anyone has a photo taken between this one and her going in to BFYE at the end of the year? Or was that period spent in works?

I cant bring myself to model her without nameplates so am going to assume they were refixed and the loco given a bit of a clean whilst retaining that maroon panel and returned to traffic...unless you know otherwise????

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Oh hang on

Look what I have found whilst searching for more pictures of Sprightly

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=845+sprightly&view=detailv2&&id=45AB781E56A4D11D8A185510A9903C143201F919&selectedIndex=1&ccid=WRawapG%2b&simid=607998109462826360&thid=OIP.M5916b06a91be1c0880355f287a593230o0&ajaxhist=0

A 43 on a Waterloo - Exeter!

But whats going on here?

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p274090425/h267ac636#h267ac636

BFYE in 1969???? Does anyone know the date and have a list of what was there that day - is this a misidentification if the date is correct?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help please with dating this undated shot from Andy Y's pinterest gallery?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/289567451017714543/

Desperately trying to see if that's a data panel on the access trap which would make this a late Laira repaint although I suspect given the livery on the DMUs in the background its probably Feb 64 when she went in to GSYP

Many thanks

Phil

Can anyone help please with dating this undated shot from Andy Y's pinterest gallery?

Desperately trying to see if that's a data panel on the access trap which would make this a late Laira repaint although I suspect given the livery on the DMUs in the background its probably Feb 64 when she went in to GSYP

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil I agree early 60s looks like red route restrction .

I have just finished 841 Roebuck and nearly completed 853 Thruster next in line 861 Vigilant ready for a blast around Shenston road

regards Greg

• Like 1

Oh hang on

Look what I have found whilst searching for more pictures of Sprightly

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=845+sprightly&view=detailv2&&id=45AB781E56A4D11D8A185510A9903C143201F919&selectedIndex=1&ccid=WRawapG%2b&simid=607998109462826360&thid=OIP.M5916b06a91be1c0880355f287a593230o0&ajaxhist=0

A 43 on a Waterloo - Exeter!

But whats going on here?

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p274090425/h267ac636#h267ac636

BFYE in 1969???? Does anyone know the date and have a list of what was there that day - is this a misidentification if the date is correct?

Phil

Hi Phil there is a shot of 845 in The book of the Warships at Gloucester dated 18th March 1970 looking ex works if thats any help

cheers Greg 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Greg - MU sockets blanked off in this shot - how early was that done I wonder?

I reckon that Plymouth Open day shot is either wrong date or wrong loco.

EM for you I guess - How about posting some photos up ? We could get the whole class.....

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks

Phil

This photo was discussed on Robert Carroll's WRDHL Yahoo group. I believe Mr Dady no less, dated it to about 17 or 18 July 1965, with Sprightly released from Swindon a day or two previously. 1A52 was 09.15 Falmouth - Paddington.

Edited by stovepipe

Thanks Greg - MU sockets blanked off in this shot - how early was that done I wonder?

I reckon that Plymouth Open day shot is either wrong date or wrong loco.

EM for you I guess - How about posting some photos up ? We could get the whole class.....

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil

Now that I have my glasses on, the date shown to blue for D845 is 20/02/70 , the MU equipment removal must have been the mid to late 60s  as all the 43 pics I have studied have lost them by then apart from 857 which carried them till the end.

cheers Greg. 

I've read somewhere on the same Yahoo thread that 1965 was when the MU cables were taken off. I've not seen a maroon loco with them.

After further research I have found a David Mant pic of D862 in Maroon and a dieselimagegallery  of it stored with MU before it was reinstated on 27/4 70.The Book of warships states D857 D862 and D864 were  refitted with MU between 67 to 69 .This book is  excellent research material and well worth nearly 30 quid.

Edited by D1047