Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

That's a whole lot of middle wickets dodged then Mike!

This is the progress to date - thought an update might generate some interest

https://youtu.be/DU_SB1lvHDg

One missing - need to get to see Mr Hanson for Class 42 fan grilles, and a good few still need headcodes for external completion, then theres chips and speakers ....ouch!

Phil

• Like 6

One missing - need to get to see Mr Hanson for Class 42 fan grilles, and a good few still need headcodes for external completion, then theres chips and speakers ....ouch!

Phil

There's more Warships there than Portsmouth!

And once it's completed they're all welcome for refuelling and servicing at Filton Road. Not all at the same time mind!

Phil

Fabulous collection Phil!

Can I ask a couple of questions? Did Royal Oak in MFYE carry a blue data panel; do you have the nameplates for Victorious and if so are they the re-drawn ones?

Cheers,

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil

Thanks for dropping in

Never seen a photo of D842 with a data panel - she wasn't MYFE for long!

And yes Brian's plates - will get you some photos when light is good

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is it really 3 weeks since I promised some photos for Neil?

Well we did go to Estonia for a week to see our new Granddaughter but had a bit of time today

So first the research...

Its July 1970 and there haven't been many Class 43 casualties - yet

Actual date unspecified - but thanks to Loose_Grip_99 on Flikr we have D860 arriving at Worcester Shrub Hill with 1F33, the 13.15 off Paddington

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/292369792/in/photolist-6yKPQV-rQtmu-n1jYF-pibCfS-ENWFJJ

And having run round her train at Hereford she prepares to work 1A79 - although the crew don't look too sure about that reporting code - back to Paddington, off Hereford 18.05

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/237710256/

So here are our efforts - the whole fleet is a joint effort between Jimbo and I although he has done the majority of the work on this last batch...

post-7138-0-75219400-1525279430_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-09852000-1525279484_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-20260200-1525279515_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-10456700-1525279551_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-24408200-1525279577_thumb.jpg

The usual consumables - transfers from Fox and Rail Tec, plates from Shawplan/Extreme Etchings and headcodes from Precision labels.

Hope that floats collective boats...

Phil

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

And how could I forget Jim at Modelmasters who came up with a large batch of slow moving shed plates that we used for the shed code plate mounting pads on the buffer beams...

Phil

• Like 1

It must be said that to model the subtle variations of all the members, such as logos, number font, location of double arrows (if applicable) and buffer weathering is a considerable feat. Soon you will be able to enjoy the fruits of your labour Phil!

Am tempted to buy a Warship at Warley not just for Filton Road but also to make the 33rd member of the Abbotswood pool. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Number 33 - 833 - will I am sure be along shortly after I have seen Mr Extreme Etchings at the Bristol show on Saturday - just needs a set of Class 42 fan grilles

42s weren't totally unknown though - 821 825 for starters - and how can I not have 803 Albion which isn't on the books at the moment...

Got to get some more Class 47 worksplates too....

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It must be said that to model the subtle variations of all the members, such as logos, number font, location of double arrows (if applicable) and buffer weathering is a considerable feat. 

Yes, it is a considerable feat, but there are people who can identify pretty much any Warship (and Western) by the dents, rust patches, and of course build differences! The task is made all the more difficult by the symmetry of both types, often making it difficult to know which end or side a photo shows. 

Wonderful work, I especially like the "high tide mark" where the washer doesn't reach. 

• RMweb Gold

Indeed there are Adrian - Step forwards Martin Street, Mark Alden, Steve Harrod, Neil Avent and photographs from Graeme Wareham - Brush Veteran and others on Flikr  - who have all at some stage helped with information and advice in this mammoth project. Also Andy Yorke for the excellent informative livery planner.

We now need to go through them again and fix anything that requires mending and/or correcting....

And then theres the new layout for them to run on!

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not till October 1971 Mike ....and as we are frozen in Summer 71 they are all safe.....

Next thing you will be telling me to replace them with Brush type 2s.....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Not till October 1971 Mike ....and as we are frozen in Summer 71 they are all safe.....

Phil

Oh dear Phil - that last sentence was indeed a sentence (as you of course well know my views of those utterly useless pieces of junk, just about all they were fit for was covering ECS jobs between Old Oak and Paddington and even then I'm not sure if they could handle via the overbridge the size of train which the panniers could do in earlier years).

• RMweb Gold

So no class 42 grilles from Shawplan at weekend - out of stock DOH!

Should be some more by end of month Brian says - but I don't suppose anyone has any sat in their stock pile they could possibly "loan" us please - to be replaced when more available?

Heres hoping!

Phil

Phil

It could be far worse..LMR castoffs ...class 25's

• RMweb Gold

So no class 42 grilles from Shawplan at weekend - out of stock DOH!

Should be some more by end of month Brian says - but I don't suppose anyone has any sat in their stock pile they could possibly "loan" us please - to be replaced when more available?

Heres hoping!

Phil

Well Phil you are in luck my friend!

I'll PM you.

Neil