Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil

Yup had seen that one - theoretically she had completed her 3 months in store at 82A by then and been transferred to 83A but that looks like a stored loco to me!

I wonder if anyone has a photo taken between this one and her going in to BFYE at the end of the year? Or was that period spent in works?

I cant bring myself to model her without nameplates so am going to assume they were refixed and the loco given a bit of a clean whilst retaining that maroon panel and returned to traffic...unless you know otherwise????

Cheers

Phil

You might be half-right. This one was taken a few days earlier and shows the other side, with nameplate....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Railway-Negative-Print-NEWTON-ABBOT-WARSHIP-D845-COPYRIGHT-/331624064595?hash=item4d3655a653&nma=true&si=voASjDZa27izhevjQXY1dZNlC84%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I wonder who bought it?

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

And here's the other side on the same day, looks like she might have worked down to Kingswear and then back through Newton Abbot.

It's another that has sold, scroll down the page to see the photo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Railway-Negative-Print-NEWTON-ABBOT-WARSHIP-D845-by-shed-COPYRIGHT-/331594213485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d348e286d&nma=true&si=voASjDZa27izhevjQXY1dZNlC84%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

Here is my effort of 841 Roebuck.I have EM re-gauged the wheels that Paul kindly reduced the thickness of the flanges for me, replaced logo with correct size added loco crew nameplate from shawplan and weathered to pics I have found taken late 1970.

A 'Superb' model from bachman.

cheers Gregpost-877-0-76712900-1443501216_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Wonderful Greg - wonder how many times she visited Hereford?

Phil

Hi Phil  Thanks for the comment .They were regular visitors on the Padds as you know and I have many a fond memory waiting in anticipation for the arrival and if the right driver was on we would cab and ride whilst shunting the stock away.Great days and I feel an invasion on the way for Shenston road.Thruster finished next may be Rapid in maroon full yellow ends, or Vigalant late blue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has any one done a side by side comparison with the re tooled  42  showing all improvements.

Had the chance to quickly snap both versions this lunch time. Both are straight out of their respective boxes.

post-5204-0-83511200-1443699428.jpgpost-5204-0-40525400-1443699430.jpgpost-5204-0-45022000-1443699431.jpgpost-5204-0-90589500-1443699432.jpgpost-5204-0-14169600-1443699434.jpgpost-5204-0-69324300-1443699435.jpgpost-5204-0-14487100-1443699437.jpgpost-5204-0-39926100-1443699438.jpgpost-5204-0-02192300-1443699440.jpgpost-5204-0-18702900-1443699441.jpg

Hope these answer your query, Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Just a note to say that I've just updated the "Shenston Road" thread with photos of some of D1047's new Bachmann 43's.

Paul J.

Just been looking at those - fantastic!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil  Thanks for the comment .They were regular visitors on the Padds as you know and I have many a fond memory waiting in anticipation for the arrival and if the right driver was on we would cab and ride whilst shunting the stock away.Great days and I feel an invasion on the way for Shenston road.Thruster finished next may be Rapid in maroon full yellow ends, or Vigalant late blue.

Parked the other side of the hedge from Hereford diesel sidings today. Not a MAN or Maybach to be heard....

Phil

Really helpful set of pictures, Phil.

Sorry to raise this again, but the fifth picture down (the head to head one) does appear to show that the body on the 42 may sit too low on the chassis, hence the buffers are lower.

The eighth one down, with both noses face on, reveals the buffers on the 42 to be set lower on the buffer beam than on the 43, which could also explain the disparity.

Add to this that the bottom vertical valance (under the cab) on the 42 looks longer than on the 43 and I'm confused!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Really helpful set of pictures, Phil.

Sorry to raise this again, but the fifth picture down (the head to head one) does appear to show that the body on the 42 may sit too low on the chassis, hence the buffers are lower.

The eighth one down, with both noses face on, reveals the buffers on the 42 to be set lower on the buffer beam than on the 43, which could also explain the disparity.

Add to this that the bottom vertical valance (under the cab) on the 42 looks longer than on the 43 and I'm confused!

John.

It looks to me as if the body on the 42 isn't sitting fully down on the chassis - evidence in the head-on views of a thin black gap.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Don't lose sight of the fact that 42 is from a body moulding first available in the late 1970s! Mechanism was suspect until Bachmann put it on to a new chassis

The 43 is superior in many - but not all - ways

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Hopefully wont be as bad as the 40 as no centre electrically dead axle to balance on. Will not make a judgment on it until we have run on the layout though

Phil

Set the layout up today and initial impressions are that running will be absolutely fine - more to come tomorrow....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And heres a couple of stills...

post-7138-0-14678300-1443907012_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-34343900-1443907028_thumb.jpg

PS Didn't notice the waffle - SWMBO says what else would you expect? Hee hee

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I got the maroon version and it really is a splendid model, I'll get a blue one at some point too. On the question of comparing the older class 42 with these new models I think there are two things to say really. One is that the new 43 is in almost every way a better model and that the roof especially is in a completely different class. The second is that the old 42 remains a good model and a sound representation of the prototype and I have no plans to ditch mine. If you have the releases with the Bachmann mech they're sweet runners, robust models and for those on a budget still offer a good model of a Warship that can be picked up at bargain prices.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing and hearing these beauts on Saturday at Gaydon.

Hear them you will - sounds chips just installed in all 3, its a doddle with Bacchy's speaker system

Please come and say hello!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Pah - that was tempting fate!

Of the 3 only 1 would run to exhibition standards - theres a video on youtube

https://youtu.be/_vlmOzGiTOg

So its back in to Churchdown works for traditional pick ups to be fitted, did that to the latest 40s and it cured their erratic running so should work on these too....

Phil

• Like 3