Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Looking good  :) 

A bit concerned about the cab front top handrails though... they look suspiciously like the current ones. Lets hope they're on the 'to do' list.

Agree with Phil about the roof vents, so typical of how they ran.

Trevor 

• RMweb Gold

Agreed re the cab front handrails - should have three mounting points not two. However the roof vents and improved ride height look much much better than the old Mainline-derived Bachmann tooling.

What will I do with my fleet of 42s when these arrive? The detail differences will be vast, have a number of Shawplan bits to still fit, must look at the ride height issue because the new tooling is a big improvement here.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

It certainly looks that way, but what I can't see are the two small round air vents below the headcode panel that were to help ventilate the cabs. Hopefully they'll be there on later period versions.

Not all NB loco's were so fitted, and there is a square variety to consider.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't say opening. It says open or closed more likely separate open or closed vents to be user fitted.

Having tried to do them convincingly on a 42 and I will be happy either way

iirc the vent holes the headcodes panels were a depot mod - was it Ooc? They varied from loco to loco so might not be a surprise if bacchy haven't done them but should be an easy fix

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Phil. The book of Warships and an excellent volume of "Western Power" by Adrian Curtis has the specific details of the locos concerned. The light pods on the cab of 43s were of Western class 52 type, and differed to the 42s, another modelling job that may risk scarring a brand new model. From the EPs these look to be different to the original tooling, but let's see how they finally turn out.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Phil. The book of Warships and an excellent volume of "Western Power" by Adrian Curtis has the specific details of the locos concerned. The light pods on the cab of 43s were of Western class 52 type, and differed to the 42s, another modelling job that may risk scarring a brand new model. From the EPs these look to be different to the original tooling, but let's see how they finally turn out.

Neil

Not to mention Looking back at the Warships all in colour too. I would think that a range of transfers would cover the various styles of vents by the headcodes, or a very careful application with a felt tip pen would do the job if Bachman don't print them on to the later livery variants to be offered.

Kevin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't take an anorak on!!!

Wouldn't dream of it, but could this be a difference between a Class 42 and a Class 43? I have no idea and looking at photos doesn't help as those I've looked at in my books are all taken from too far away.

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't dream of it, but could this be a difference between a Class 42 and a Class 43? I have no idea and looking at photos doesn't help as those I've looked at in my books are all taken from too far away.

The Swindon built locos are exactly the same in this respect as the NBL built ones - including pictures of them under construction.  So were there any individual exceptions?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the model at Hornby Gaydon at it does look D849 (SUPERB).

I have ordered a pristine one with Hattons and will be hoping that someone does a weathered BFY version as one of the last of the class to survive; 853; 854; 855; 857, 858, 862..... not 841 as that was quite clean at the end.

I commented at Gaydon that some detail was missing from the buffer beam, namely the metal plate that the shed code plate was fixed to. I explained there was a plate welded to the buffer beam that the shed plate was bolted onto and that there should be a molded flat plate on the loco to which a printed shed code plate could be added.

I think they thought I was just moaning so I don't know whether they took note and it will be added. If not, I'm sure someone will do a metal etch to add.

Just hope that Bachmann update the 42 later...

post-8027-0-26472400-1413634551_thumb.jpg

post-8027-0-12599000-1413634559.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Was looking for the shed code pad on the posted images on the Bacchy web site but couldn't see the area clearly

As you say Mark an easy fix with an etch - perhaps a reversed etched shed plate with a couple of drilled holes and a square hole in the centre might fit the bill if Bachmann don't fix it for us?

Cheers

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We don't know deliveries yet but time to start thinking about the fleet

Initial thoughts are:

D838 Rapid MFYE 9/68 - 3/71

D839 Relentless MSYP 2/66 - 7/70

D845 Sprightly GSYP 2/64 - 2/70

D847 Strongbow Late BFYE 2/67 (logo over nameplate)

D849 Superb Early BFYE Serif numbers 7/67 - 6/68

861 Vigilant Late BFYE 3/71 - 10/71

That gives plenty of variety and scope for other varients once these are done. Hope Hattons hold their pre-order price.

What to do for a sound File? Temptation could be to accept the existing class 42 files but that's the wrong transmission. As they had Voith transmissions a la western would it be a better bet to use the class 52 files? Howes is a pretty snarley version! - and perhaps talk nicely to Bryan at Howes to get the horns swapped for the ones off the Class 42 as the Class 52 ones are very distinctive. A single engine feature would also be useful for 861 on its last run prior to withdrawal.

Better see my friends from Extreme Etchings at Warley for those nameplates....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

What to do for a sound File? Temptation could be to accept the existing class 42 files but that's the wrong transmission. As they had Voith transmissions a la western would it be a better bet to use the class 52 files? Howes is a pretty snarley version! - and perhaps talk nicely to Bryan at Howes to get the horns swapped for the ones off the Class 42 as the Class 52 ones are very distinctive. A single engine feature would also be useful for 861 on its last run prior to withdrawal.Better see my friends from Extreme Etchings at Warley for those nameplates....Phil

But they had MAN L12V twin engines Phil, so more like a double headed 22 or an uprated D600 ;)

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely Neil - but where does a good sound file come from until such time as we have a loco with a MAN engine installed to record?

The sound files I have for other MAN engined traction - Class 22 and Blue Pullman - are OK as they go but perhaps lack the wow factor whereas the Maybachs in the Howes Western file are fairly gutteral with the correct pitch dip as the converters fill...

But certainly open to other suggestions! Has anyone seen a decent video of a 43 with good audio anywhere I wonder?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

No pressure then?

Mike.

Guess it depends on how good the credit card machine wireless reception is - or shall I bring another SWMBO pre-signed blank cheque?

Hee hee

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The new build class 22 people have a MAN engine from a D600, if that project progresses perhaps better sound files of these distinctive engines can be made Phil when they get to fire the beast up? I never saw a 43 (knowingly) but apparently they were quite different to the Swindon warships sound wise, and apparently could be told apart as they approached (read somewhere).

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The new build class 22 people have a MAN engine from a D600, if that project progresses perhaps better sound files of these distinctive engines can be made Phil when they get to fire the beast up? I never saw a 43 (knowingly) but apparently they were quite different to the Swindon warships sound wise, and apparently could be told apart as they approached (read somewhere).

Neil

I have seen and therefore heard most of the 43s in traffic but of course it was many years ago and the memory fades somewhat.  What I recall is that they seemed "clunkier" and certainly more guttural than the almost tinny whine of the 42s.  One of each paired on a train occasionally happened and the contrast was then obvious.  Almost to the extent that one could, until the MTUs were fitted, distinguish between the leading and trailing power cars on the modern class 43 as one roared past and the pusher whined dementedly.

Specific memories I still have are of a freshly-painted blue 843 Sharpshooter which was rostered a Worcester - Paddington turn three days in succession and which I saw on all those days at Evesham stopping, idling and restarting, and of shabby maroon 856 Trojan, which was the last I needed for the set at the time, trundling light engine through Ealing Broadway and sounding like everything inside was about to fall off.  853 Thruster failed to thrust at all one afternoon at Penzance being declared a failure before starting due to "spitting sparks" - it was removed to the depot by a Western which eventually replaced it on the much-delayed train.  And of course in the days when Ranelagh Bridge was an actual loco yard and not just a layout and the spotters at Paddington sometimes made an illicit dash out to Royal Oak on the "Met" to see what was in ..... what was in on one occasion was 842 Royal Oak which seemed very fitting; she was sat in the yard idling and emitting as much smoke as her illustrious steam forebears.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Neil

Have to agree with you Neil - in time that has to be the best answer, and can always get the chip re-blown when such a sound track becomes available.

Smashing reminisces - thanks Gwiwer! If we are going down Memory Lane I was fortunate enough to see them all - unlike the 42s, which were never common at Worcester. Its my memories that spur me on to sort out my stud.

D847 Strongbow - the first one I saw, at BNS, in Autumn 67 on a London train in BFYE

D849 Superb looking just that, fresh off Swindon in BFYE, on a Paddington at Worcester

D835 Ramilles BFYE through Abbotswood on the Malago Vale vans

D840 Resistance at Bescot, MSYP

D848 Sultan at Worcester, peeling prestolinth and paint, MSYP

We used to buy a 2d single from Worcester Shrub Hill to Foregate Street just to get a ride behind one on a Hereford but my best memory is a trip up to London bashing the termini - D861 Vigilant MSYP for haulage on the way back to Worcester, me window hanging out of the leading drop light on a lovely summers evening all the way home from Oxford to Worcester.

Happy days with my good friends John Howles and Brian Thomas, who is now Chairman of the Worcester Loco Society and who helps me with Abbotswood from time to time.

Railways have given me much pleasure over the years, and adding the 43s to the stud is a significant part of the Abootswood Junction jigsaw. I rather suspect they will appear too frequently on phase 1 - another phase 2 incentive, finish the Oxford line!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4