Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

I hate to break it to you but we've all had ours since then - you were on Santa's "Naughty List" ;)

That’ll teach me to be critical, lol. Anyway it’s my right, I’ll be forking out my hard earned for these so I expect them to be good.

• 5 weeks later...

Depending on the sales success of the DCC versions of the Mk2f coaches I wonder if Bachmann will look to their Mk1 range for options of DCC lighting as really you would need a van and a buffet or restaurant to run a complete RTR train with lighting.

On another note it maybe sometime before I get to work on a layout so for now I plan on having a static plank to show off my new blue Class 87 alongside my Bachmann Class 85 in a sort of diorama and was wondering generally speaking what Mk2f blue/grey coaches were at the Euston far country end behind the loco on 1980s expresses heading north?   Was it generally the TSO or BSO?   I have looked at some photos and rarely see an FO or BG.  Not talking about Mk1 or Mk3 stock.  I am thinking it was mainly TSO.

• RMweb Gold

I dont know how widely it was applied, but I always understood 1st class was supposed to be at the London end of intercity formations, as is the baggage car (later DVT).

This would put the BSO at the country end of an ex-London service.

Politics being what it is, the original Class 373 Eurostar both Britain and France insisted on 1st class at their end of the train, so it had 1st Class in the middle, which of course means it requires two buffets/kitchen.  The class 374 is no different.. 1st class is at both ends and still requires two buffets.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Depending on the sales success of the DCC versions of the Mk2f coaches I wonder if Bachmann will look to their Mk1 range for options of DCC lighting as really you would need a van and a buffet or restaurant to run a complete RTR train with lighting.

On another note it maybe sometime before I get to work on a layout so for now I plan on having a static plank to show off my new blue Class 87 alongside my Bachmann Class 85 in a sort of diorama and was wondering generally speaking what Mk2f blue/grey coaches were at the Euston far country end behind the loco on 1980s expresses heading north?   Was it generally the TSO or BSO?   I have looked at some photos and rarely see an FO or BG.  Not talking about Mk1 or Mk3 stock.  I am thinking it was mainly TSO.

Most WCML sets were formed with the BG and first class at the London end, then catering, then second/standard class at the country end. They might get turned but that was unusual. The only exceptions would have been sets that split on route, either to/from Liverpool/Manchester going north, or with portions for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

In the 1980s, the Mk2fs were mostly used on the West Midlands circuit and I don't recall BSOs, only TSOs. So yes, TSOs behind your Class 87 would be correct.

• 4 weeks later...

Will all the coaches have moulded tail lamps at each end?

That's going to look terrible in a long rake, and certainly wouldn't be allowed in real life as a tail lamp signifies the end of a formation.

Surely it would have been better (and easier) for them to simply put loose add on tail lamps in the box, like they did years ago with the mk1's?

• 2 weeks later...

Most WCML sets were formed with the BG and first class at the London end, then catering, then second/standard class at the country end. They might get turned but that was unusual. The only exceptions would have been sets that split on route, either to/from Liverpool/Manchester going north, or with portions for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

In the 1980s, the Mk2fs were mostly used on the West Midlands circuit and I don't recall BSOs, only TSOs. So yes, TSOs behind your Class 87 would be correct.

There were a few exceptions.  IIRC some of the Oxley based Mk2 rakes had a BSO at the country end. When the daily Cambrian service restarted using class 37/4s I think the Country end portion was split off at Shrewsbury and the BSO was used as the working brakevan, whilst the remainder of the stock returned ECS to Oxley.  Same process repeated in the morning in reverse, although I have a feeling that train might have combined at Wolverhampton instead of Shrewsbury.  Perhaps someone more clued up can confirm ?  

expected September.

i'm not saying these wont be a sales success quite the opposite but I do think they will be a slow burn though as most folk wont be able to go out and buy what you expect to be the required decent numbers for a couple of rakes not in one nice easy hit.  my approach which I foresee will not be uncommon is to buy one or two at a time to slowly build them up so it will take time to gather full rakes. 

at £67 for the DCC versions it wont be a quick and easy fix.  a rake of 8 would cost about £550 notes inc delivery.  none DCC would be nearer to £400. 

I do like the look of the BR blue/grey FO version - you can clearly see the level of detail Bachmann have put into the interior.  All that orange moquette seating brings back memories of times sat in a de-classified 1st open somewhere along the WCML.

what are peoples thoughts on their buying plans for these?  Are you thinking of waiting for them to be discounted below the initial pre-order prices?  

Maybe you like the idea of buying over time to gather different running numbers?  

• RMweb Gold

what are peoples thoughts on their buying plans for these? Are you thinking of waiting for them to be discounted below the initial pre-order prices?

Maybe you like the idea of buying over time to gather different running numbers?

I paid a deposit in advance with Derails.

I hope they arrive together, this drip feed from Oxford just means I’ve got mk3’s taking space but not enough to run a train.

Edited by adb968008

expected September.

i'm not saying these wont be a sales success quite the opposite but I do think they will be a slow burn though as most folk wont be able to go out and buy what you expect to be the required decent numbers for a couple of rakes not in one nice easy hit.  my approach which I foresee will not be uncommon is to buy one or two at a time to slowly build them up so it will take time to gather full rakes. 

at £67 for the DCC versions it wont be a quick and easy fix.  a rake of 8 would cost about £550 notes inc delivery.  none DCC would be nearer to £400. 

I do like the look of the BR blue/grey FO version - you can clearly see the level of detail Bachmann have put into the interior.  All that orange moquette seating brings back memories of times sat in a de-classified 1st open somewhere along the WCML.

what are peoples thoughts on their buying plans for these?  Are you thinking of waiting for them to be discounted below the initial pre-order prices?  

It depends what else is around demanding my money when they appear. I’ll buy as many as I can spare the money for until I have a rake, which probably means buying in dribs and drabs, like you. I have a reasonable income; it just isn’t paid frequently enough.

• Like 1

It depends what else is around demanding my money when they appear. I’ll buy as many as I can spare the money for until I have a rake, which probably means buying in dribs and drabs, like you. I have a reasonable income; it just isn’t paid frequently enough.

For me the price does make it unlikely that I will get any from the first batch other than the Scotrail DBSO. I'm probably in the market for two Virgin Cross Country sets, and as the IC version are the older typeface I'll most likely steer clear initially.

For me the price does make it unlikely that I will get any from the first batch other than the Scotrail DBSO. I'm probably in the market for two Virgin Cross Country sets, and as the IC version are the older typeface I'll most likely steer clear initially.

are the first batches either 'Intercity' or 'INTERCITY', because I've seen factory finished photos of both recently which would suggest both are coming out together

• RMweb Premium

are the first batches either 'Intercity' or 'INTERCITY', because I've seen factory finished photos of both recently which would suggest both are coming out together

There are some livery samples on the Bachmann website http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2018/04/mk2fs/

In InterCity livery, the TSO, BSO and FO will be branded "InterCity". Only the RFB will be branded INTERCITY because they were not converted until later.

The blue grey TSO's will be my priority (before they sell out). The FO's can follow on later.

Not sure my question belongs here, but anyway. Are Bachmann's Mk2 coaches equipped with NEM pockets? Did a quick search but I'm not sure how to interpret the results.

I'd think it very un-likely they won't have NEM pockets, but it remains to be seen IF they are are at the correct height ? 

Edited by tractor_37260

Well, I personally use Fleischmann Profi couplers on most of my models, including my recently purchased Class 50 and 4-TC. On the 4-TC I use adjustable coupler heads, in order to both get them to the same height as the 50*, and so that I don't have to couple them in a bend and risk them derailing in switches.

My question, however, was actually more... Universal, I guess, covering not just the Mk2F's, but Bachmann's Mk2 coaches in general. Just didn't know where to ask, and didn't really feel that it warranted its own thread.

*I don't know if that's the correct height, but as I won't be running them with stock from other countries it doesn't really matter to me.

• RMweb Premium

I dont know how widely it was applied, but I always understood 1st class was supposed to be at the London end of intercity formations, as is the baggage car (later DVT).

While having 1st class accommodation at the end closest to the London buffer stops may have gone down well with passengers, which end had the DVT / DBSO was actually driven by operational considerations.

With the ECML & WCML, the bulk of the Locos were allocated to London depots (Willesden & Bounds Green) so having the DVT on the south end of the coaching rake (next to the London buffer stops) and the loco on the north end facilitated easy loco swaps in the event of a failure.

By contrast, the main depot for the GEML InterCity services was at Norwich - so the sets were aranged with the DBSO on the country end and locos on the London end thus facilitating easy loco swaps at Norwich.

Had the principal loco depot  for the GEML been the same as the ECML & WCML (i.e. in London) then it is quite possible that InterCity may have changed the DBSO into a DBFO rather than have an small section of standard class accommodation at the London end.

Edited by phil-b259

Politics being what it is, the original Class 373 Eurostar both Britain and France insisted on 1st class at their end of the train, so it had 1st Class in the middle, which of course means it requires two buffets/kitchen.  The class 374 is no different.. 1st class is at both ends and still requires two buffets.

I'm sure having 18-odd coaches in the formation had something to do with it as well.  With a train that long, you're going to need two buffets because passengers aren't going to want to walk through 9-odd coaches to get a cup of coffee and a croque monsieur.  Meanwhile, two first class sections at either end I suggest is probably much less important than the need to have standard half-sets, so any two half-sets can be coupled together to form one standard train with a standard number of seats.  The alternative - having one half set with mostly first class and a bit of standard, and another with all standard would present certain operational challenges.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I paid a deposit in advance with Derails.

I hope they arrive together, this drip feed from Oxford just means I’ve got mk3’s taking space but not enough to run a train.

I pre-ordered the RFB back in June 2013 as at that time there was a prototype on our local heritage railway.

Since then the full size coach has moved on and my life has also moved on - I got married!

So after a five year wait I have recently cancelled my pre-order.

I have in the meantime built up a short rake of Hornby Mk2e coaches and may eventually buy the Bachmann RFB to run with them, as and when the cash is available and the price is right.

Edited by cessna152towser