Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Gold

id lke to see that coach in dark or semi dark conditions looking for light bleed either through any join gaps if there are any or through the body if its transluscent or patchy.

on the face of it though in daylight conditions the lighting looks well up to the level I expected it would be (the disco toilet lights can probably be access and a dab of paint put over that particular LED to tone its brightness down) its possible that the whole coach can be dimmed via the dcc decoder.

what does the Bachmann instruction leaflet say on light control and cv programming ?

I have to keep you in suspense for now, i’m overnighting the GBRF railtour from Waterloo to Blackpool North (0100) and hence Motherwell for 0450, with a class 92 and two 73s on the rear, currently heading towards Wembley. Edited by adb968008

Just a quick question - Aren't the end vestibule doors on Mk2f's red?

Apart from that, looks like a winner from Bachmann - but I want to have one in my greasy mitt though first before I make any further observations. I've got two DBSO's in ScotRail on pre-order, so getting escited about receiving them soon.

cheers

Andy

These new 2F carriages look terrific, but the photos on the Rail Express review appear to show them with recessed saloon and

fixed van windows,is this an optical illusion? One of the main aspects of a real Mk2 air-conditioned coach, are the almost-flush

fitting fixed windows, with barely a quarter-of-an-inch frame retaining the glass (door windows ARE recessed). Furthermore,

the model's main saloon windows appear crystal-clear in the photos, whereas they should be viewed as dark-tinted from the

outside, all other side windows should be clear, apart from the loo. Not having had the benefit of seeing one of these models

in the flesh yet, can anyone verify these details please?

If my suggested criticisms are correct, why weren't these spotted by the scrutineers of the pre-production samples? Hornby

gave us flush and tinted windows with their Mk2Es, at a fraction of the price.

Cheers, Brian.

These new 2F carriages look terrific, but the photos on the Rail Express review appear to show them with recessed saloon and

fixed van windows,is this an optical illusion? One of the main aspects of a real Mk2 air-conditioned coach, are the almost-flush

fitting fixed windows, with barely a quarter-of-an-inch frame retaining the glass (door windows ARE recessed). Furthermore,

the model's main saloon windows appear crystal-clear in the photos, whereas they should be viewed as dark-tinted from the

outside, all other side windows should be clear, apart from the loo. Not having had the benefit of seeing one of these models

If my suggested criticisms are correct, why weren't these spotted by the scrutineers of the pre-production samples? Hornby

Cheers, Brian.

i thought the main cabin windows were all to be slightly tinted.  from the photos above on the FO and those you refer in the magazine on the DBSO they do look clear...…...I hope I am wrong.  

Cheers, Brian.

I think Hornby would have done even more sales of the Mk2E were it not for the visible solebar - who signed that off needs shooting!  I don't recall whether we saw early samples within RMWeb to be able to spot this and bring it to Hornbys attention early on in the process......I will need to go back to the MK2e thread and have a nose around.  You woule have thought this error would have been picked up straight away and corrected before production.  

• RMweb Gold

The windows are slightly tinted, not clear.

That is.. they aren’t as tinted as Mainline/ Dapols Mk2Ds..

5 functions on the decoder..

F0 tail lamp on/off

F1 tail lamp flashing

F3 interior lights - Guards compartment for BSO

F4 interior lights

F5 Door loco lights side A (if fitted)

F6 Door lock lights side B (if Fitted)

If your on DCC I can imagine f5/6 being a lot of fun in cameos !!!

I think Hornby would have done even more sales of the Mk2E were it not for the visible solebar - who signed that off needs shooting!  I don't recall whether we saw early samples within RMWeb to be able to spot this and bring it to Hornbys attention early on in the process......I will need to go back to the MK2e thread and have a nose around.  You woule have thought this error would have been picked up straight away and corrected before production.

Yes, The Hornby Mk2E (sitting on 2F style bogies, because a 2F model was also their original intention)has some unfortunate faults, namely the chassis "solebar", the slightly wrong type bogies, the slightly wrong grey panel livery on the 2nd class, the incorrect roof vents, and the unbalanced lighting, but nothing we didn't

find a way of fixing fairly easily (See Hornby 2E thread). The Hornby 2Es could be bought quite cheaply, perfect for DIY projects, plus it would be possible to convert them to 2Ds and 2Fs, although 2D TSOs will be slightly more difficult. BK

• RMweb Premium

Since I already had about 15 Airfix 2D I decided to standardise on them with Extreme Etching frames and Laserglaze.

AFAIR the only place rakes were guaranteed all the same was the ECML with 2D. Most sets are a fix of the 3 with occasional 3A on WCML

So I am using Airfix for a set with 2C 2D 2E 2F in it and NONE of them are same as factory, nearest would be a TSOT.

If I had done RTR I would have had a mix of three different types with 2 not at all available and I think consistancy is more important than ultimate detail

The windows are slightly tinted, not clear.

That is.. they aren’t as tinted as Mainline/ Dapols Mk2Ds..

5 functions on the decoder..

F0 tail lamp on/off

F1 tail lamp flashing

F3 interior lights - Guards compartment for BSO

F4 interior lights

F5 Door loco lights side A (if fitted)

F6 Door lock lights side B (if Fitted)

If your on DCC I can imagine f5/6 being a lot of fun in cameos !!!

Interesting, especially the CDL lights - I'm presuming these will only be fitted on the Exec livery DCC fitted versions ? 

• RMweb Gold

I purchased one FO from Monk bar Models, York, this afternoon, the DCC version, and it is stunning. The glazing seems nice and flush, just lightly tinted, and the lights, both the saloon lighting and the tail lights are not too bright. I think, especially, the saloon lighting is much better than Hornby's Mk2e lighting, with the vestibules not left in darkness. The bogies have separately applied brake shoes, with the wheels painted in a rust colour, and the pick ups for the lighting are not apparent when the carriage is on the rails. The bogies are a good improvement upon the previous models of the B4 bogie from Bachmann. Of course there are no CDL's since at that early stage in their careers they were not fitted.

So, in short, a most excellent model, with a good paint finish and true to life colours. I can't wait to finish the rake with the TSO's, which are due in a week or so according to what was said in the shop.

Regards,

Rob.

Strictly speaking exec liveried Mk2Fs shouldn't have CDL lights and reset switches, they didn't have them fitted until they were in Swallow.

Doh ! of course your correct, that's why I couldn't spot them on Hatton's photos, the only Swallow version shown so far (RFB) does not appear to have them either ?  The photos of the Exec BSO show the brandings / no's reversed - at the wrong ends, hopefully the models won't arrive like that..................

It will be interesting to see if the height of these matches their MK1s or their existing MK2s!!

Regards Rob

Have ordered two DBSOs (including 2 x DCC chips I did not want or need :nono:), just hoping the match the height of my Lima Mk3s.

Have 10 x 47/7s ready and eager to get paired up with them

St Andrew, St Mungo, St Cuthbert, Waverley, Sir Walter Scott, Greyfriars Bobby, Lady Di,  Grampian Region, Haymarket and the latest addition Duke of Edinburgh Award.  The latest was according to a former driver I was speaking to at Ayr the other weekend, the fastest of them all.

• Like 2