Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

The photos of the Exec BSO show the brandings / no's reversed - at the wrong ends, hopefully the models won't arrive like that..................

This was a fault on the paint sample and on the paint spec (which was missed for about 3 months, including by me, which is why the painted sample was incorrect).

All this was about 6 months ago, if the releases are wrong then Bachmann have no excuses because I know for a fact they they have been told.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely coaches - though fitting the details is the usual fiddly ordeal.  

Has anyone yet succeeded in reprogramming them on DCC?  I have an ECoS, and simply get an error message when I place the coach on the programming track and try either to read from or write to the decoder (I having ticked the "Accessory Decoder" option first).  I am wanting to:-

(i)   change the decoder address from the default 3 to something else; and

(ii)  explore the CVs (and, in particular any brightness CV - since, to my eyes, the interior lighting is too bright).

Any help gratefully received.

Peter

Earlier this week I had suspicions about the fit of the 2F main windows, the angled photos in the Rail Express review

suggested they were slightly recessed? Nevertheless, you don't bite off your nose to spite your face, curiosity

killed the cat, and giving the product the benefit of the doubt, it was time to see some in the flesh, so I ordered

three Foxtrot Oscars. They arrived at lunchtime today, and overall I have to say they look fabulous, good shape, nice

straight bodies, good shade of Rail Blue, although I wouldn't want the pearl grey any darker. The goodies bag of

add-on bits is amazing, although the metal detail removal tool, which only works on one of the two types of add-ons,

is slightly bizarre, wouldn't it be easier to remove things by just pushing them out from the inside?

The bogies look good, with the correct dampers for Mk2F, picked out nicely in blue for ex-works,

although in reality these would soon be plastered in brake dust (hurray for blackened RTR wheels). The Roe-vac roof

vents are far more accurate than Hornby's interpretation, end detail is good, although IMHO the gangway folding doors

could have been a bit more mushroom soup colour, although they are good enough.

Finally, we are back to the windows, they are ever so slightly more recessed than they should be, but it's very

border-line, most modellers will be satisfied with them, it's only old fusspots like me, who might quibble? It's more

noticeable on the loo windows, the saloon windows do have a fish-tank effect around their outsides, but like the fit,

it's only obvious when viewed at an angle. Personally I feel the saloon windows should have a deeper tint, but I can

accept a modelling compromise so that the interior can be viewed, with the interior lights off. The transverse saloon

partition glazing has a couple of unfortunate round mould marks visible, but that really is splitting hairs.

I hope these words encourage RMwebbers to buy them, they are worth their weight in gold, i'll certainly now buy the

TSOs when they appear. If I get time, i'll do some comparison photos with their Hornby 2E cousins, if I can find a 2E

after just moving house. If I can cheekily dare to award points, i'd say 95 out of 100.

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Brian Kirby
  • Like 5

Has anyone yet succeeded in reprogramming them on DCC?  I have an ECoS, and simply get an error message when I place the coach on the programming track and try either to read from or write to the decoder (I having ticked the "Accessory Decoder" option first).  I am wanting to:-

(ii)  explore the CVs (and, in particular any brightness CV - since, to my eyes, the interior lighting is too bright).

Peter

They are probably like the Bachmann 4-TC, and probably other models, where the programming track will only recognise a model with a motor in it. So basically you have to put the chip you want to use in a loco, change the address, try some guess work with the CVs and then put the chip in the coach. At least you should know the programming parameters for all the other chips needed for the coaches once you have got the first one correct (but any other chips will also have to be set up in a loco first).

The first two I'm expecting soon from a box shifter won't have this problem. No lights, so no DCC, price £46.71 each (plus postage).

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold

You could try treating it as a normal decoder. My logic being this is a function only decoder, ie no motor control, rather than an accessory decoder which would be for points and signals.

Thank you; your advice was spot on.  Decoders renumbered.  Just got to figure out the CVs now.  But thank you for your help.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

.............. If I can cheekily dare to award points, i'd say 95 out of 100.

Cheers, Brian.

Thanks Brian, most interesting.

I had expected Bachmann to have gone for an LM Region prefix for the first release, instead of an Eastern Region one. A slightly bizarre choice perhaps given the recent arrival of the Hornby Class 87 and their own earlier Class 85. They do look very nice though.

wonder what was behind the decision to release the First Open first for the coaches unless thats just how the cookie crumbled??

Is it a tactic to try get a good wadge of sales before the more popular seller (the open seconds) come along?  Just thinking of the earlier non air-con Mk2s (mk2z?) where all the box shifters had stacked of 1sts and Brake Corridor 1sts gathering dust and ending up in the bargain bin.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Brian, most interesting.

I had expected Bachmann to have gone for an LM Region prefix for the first release, instead of an Eastern Region one. A slightly bizarre choice perhaps given the recent arrival of the Hornby Class 87 and their own earlier Class 85. They do look very nice though.

Bachmann has a history of producing E prefix coaches before any others, which applies across the board - Mk1s, Mk2/2a and now Mk2f.

I hope these words encourage RMwebbers to buy them, they are worth their weight in gold, i'll certainly now buy theTSOs when they appear. If I get time, i'll do some comparison photos with their Hornby 2E cousins, if I can find a 2Eafter just moving house. If I can cheekily dare to award points, i'd say 95 out of 100.Cheers, Brian.

I was already considering them, but after reading your review, I'm even more interested. But are they available without interior lighting? Haven't really checked.

They are probably like the Bachmann 4-TC, and probably other models, where the programming track will only recognise a model with a motor in it. So basically you have to put the chip you want to use in a loco, change the address, try some guess work with the CVs and then put the chip in the coach.

I didn't have any issues programming my 4-TC. Just put it on the track and did what I normally do when I program my locomotives.

• RMweb Premium

They are probably like the Bachmann 4-TC, and probably other models, where the programming track will only recognise a model with a motor in it. So basically you have to put the chip you want to use in a loco, change the address, try some guess work with the CVs and then put the chip in the coach. At least you should know the programming parameters for all the other chips needed for the coaches once you have got the first one correct (but any other chips will also have to be set up in a loco first).

Hi

I use an ESU decoder tester for this purpose. Plug the decoder in to the decoder tester, setup the values I require then install the decoder in the relevant vehicle.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks chaps,

Yes LU Fan, both blue-grey FOs with lights (39-650DC), and without (39-650) are currently available.

My three were all without lights, I was tempted to buy the with lights version, but a rake would look a bit

odd without an illuminated Mk1 catering car, if modelling the mid-1970s era. The (39-650) no lights version

still come with split-axle wheels and bearing pick-ups, so you could always add your own lighting at a later

date, although for the sake of an extra £20-odd, Bachmann's DCC version has done all the hard work for you. BK

I now have three FOs. Much has been said already so I shall keep this brief. These are in my view without doubt the best Mark 2 coaches of any type produced in 00.  :good:

I would not change anything although I would have preferred LMR numbers. They are in a different class altogether to the Hornby Mark 2e stock.  

• RMweb Premium

Peter

If your DCC controller has a program on the main function, then that should work without the requirement for the DCC system to see a motor as a load.

Select POM, select address #3 default and then reprogram the address.

The windows are slightly tinted, not clear.

That is.. they aren’t as tinted as Mainline/ Dapols Mk2Ds..

5 functions on the decoder..

F0 tail lamp on/off

F1 tail lamp flashing

F3 interior lights - Guards compartment for BSO

F4 interior lights

F5 Door loco lights side A (if fitted)

F6 Door lock lights side B (if Fitted)

If your on DCC I can imagine f5/6 being a lot of fun in cameos !!!

Are the decoders in these MK2F's  21 or 8 pin ?

TIA

Hi

I use an ESU decoder tester for this purpose. Plug the decoder in to the decoder tester, setup the values I require then install the decoder in the relevant vehicle.

Cheers

Paul

Easier to use POM -  especially if dimming of the coach lighting is required - you can then instantly view the changes..... 

• RMweb Premium

Easier to use POM -  especially if dimming of the coach lighting is required - you can then instantly view the changes.....

Hi

Can you program the address using POM? My DCC system prevents this which is why I use the decoder tester.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Interested in getting a rake of these.Just wondering about the 'Analogue Compatible' bit. Does that mean the lights will work on DC? Presumably the chip will have to be removed.

Cheers Jack

I visited a model shop yesterday to check both flavours of the new Mark 2 as I also have a DC analogue layout and wanted to check out the best option to buy that works for me. Summary of both types for us analogue users:

- 39-650: No lights fitted, however all the wheels are fitted with electrical pickups.

- 39-650DC: Interior lights fitted and work while analogue power is applied. Carriage end flashing lights also work. There is a small three position switch underside where the lights can be turned off, have interior lights only, or have both interior lights and flashing lights operating. Note that there is no stay-alive/capacitor fitted, so the lights only work while power is applied.

They do look damn fine and quality carriages so did purchase one! I’ve opted for the non-light fitted type in order to save over £20, as I reckon I’ll be able to install some interior lights with a stay alive capacitor for much less per carriage and have the benefit of the lights staying on during station stops etc.

post-10765-0-68503000-1538168688_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Can you program the address using POM? My DCC system prevents this which is why I use the decoder tester.

Cheers

Paul

Although I haven't tried the Mk2s, certainly no problem adjusting addresses POM on a NCE Powercab with a variety of loco decoders and function output only accessory decoders.