Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

I hope he doesnt have a cat that likes to jump up on the worktop...

About 15 years ago, before I had a house and a layout, I would put a circle of track on the diner table to run the odd train from time to time.

My sister and her 3/4 your daughter came over to see us. She was a Thomas fan, so I set up the track and a train, a pullman train on the table and set it running.

My niece touched it, off it came, all my best pullmans. Some slight damage but my heart felt almost broken.

It was fixed when Hornby did all new super detailed ones a year or so later.

Sorry if answered already but I have been following this thread and haven't seen it. Why does the buffet car in intercity Livery have intercity in italics while the TSO's do not? Is this prototypical to run these together. While I think about it would a blue/ grey FO run with a buffet car with the intercity in italics?

Thanks

Mark

Sorry if answered already but I have been following this thread and haven't seen it. Why does the buffet car in intercity Livery have intercity in italics while the TSO's do not? Is this prototypical to run these together. While I think about it would a blue/ grey FO run with a buffet car with the intercity in italics?

Thanks

Mark

Yes

Thanks

Mark

The Italics livery came in slightly later. The original Intercity Executive livery would have been about 1983/84 and the italics (Swallow livery) would have been from about 1987. The RFB buffet coaches were only converted after the italics livery was introduced. The other coaches would have operated in both

Having just received and inspected the TSO version in Executive Intercity, I have to say I have mixed opinions. The overall model shape and interpretation seems to be spot on and the level of detail is good, however there seem to be some model design/manufacturing issues.

1. The floor is visible below the sides. There is a floor edge over more than half of my sample. Not as much as the Hornby Mk2Es but not flush like the Bachmann Mk2As.

2. There is a ripple effect at the top middle of each passenger compartment window. This causes a light halo effect in the middle of the window similar to a prism breaking up light.

3. The roof has two noticeable circular moulding depressions, on the centre line of the roof about 5cm in from each end. This is presumably caused by an internal part of the roof moulding that extends inwards. Again nothing like this occurred on the Mk2As. This is more noticeable as the roof is smooth and has a sheen finish.

Edited by rembrow

Sounds like someone slipped a Hornby 2e into your box Rembrow!  Any chance of some photo's showing these faults? - I presume you've not seen the FO or RFM as neither came with any of these faults and the TSO on the Hatton's website doesn't show them either so it does seem like you've been sold a faulty model slipped into the supply chain in error.  Back to the dealer with that one!

Having just received and inspected the TSO version in Executive Intercity, I have to say I have mixed opinions. The overall model shape and interpretation seems to be spot on and the level of detail is good, however there seem to be some model design/manufacturing issues.

1. The floor is visible below the sides. There is a floor edge over more than half of my sample. Not as much as the Hornby Mk2Es but not flush like the Bachmann Mk2As.

2. There is a ripple effect at the top middle of each passenger compartment window. This causes a light halo effect in the middle of the window similar to a prism breaking up light.

3. The roof has two noticeable circular moulding depressions, on the centre line of the roof about 5cm in from each end. This is presumably caused by an internal part of the roof moulding that extends inwards. Again nothing like this occurred on the Mk2As. This is more noticeable as the roof is smooth and has a sheen finish.

Like you, the interpretation is excellent and they look fantastic in the dark with lights on. The only real downer for me is the thickness of the glazing which is also slightly recessed. 

Sounds like someone slipped a Hornby 2e into your box Rembrow!  Any chance of some photo's showing these faults? - I presume you've not seen the FO or RFM as neither came with any of these faults and the TSO on the Hatton's website doesn't show them either so it does seem like you've been sold a faulty model slipped into the supply chain in error.  Back to the dealer with that one!

maybe it was bought on ebay and some pond life has slipped in a 2E into a Bachmann box and then charged 2F money?

Hi, hopefully the attached two photos will show the floor and roof issue. The floor edge was difficult to photo, to ensure it wasn't showing part of the flat floor, hopefully this is accurate. The edge of the floor showing is less than a 1mm and is over the middle part of the coach, but is still there and not as good as the coach side to floor joint achieved on the Mk2As. The roof moulding issue, shows one end where the mould imperfection is raised. The other end has the imperfection slightly depressed and was impossible to photo with my cheap camera. I cannot get the window halo effect on camera, it appears when the side is lit by natural light and was ok yesterday evening in artificial light. I'm wondering if it is an optical effect of a slight ripple at the top middle of the windows which magnifies a reflection of the circular no smoking signs, causing a rainbow colour circular mirage at the top of the window, in certain light conditions. Still overall happy with the coach. 

post-13514-0-70556000-1539765330_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-42408600-1539765352_thumb.jpg

Thanks for doing that Rembrow - it looks like a production / assembly issue on those two faults at least (the bumps are roughly? where the pillars for securing the roof mounted PCB are on the DCC version) as they don't appear on others I've seen so far - are you sending them back for replacement?

Edited by Bob Reid

Thanks for doing that Rembrow - it looks like a production / assembly issue on those two faults at least (the bumps are roughly? where the pillars for securing the roof mounted PCB are on the DCC version) as they don't appear on others I've seen so far - are you sending them back for replacement?

I've got a second TSO on order from a different retailer so will wait until that arrives to see if these are general issues on the production run, before deciding about return.

Edited by rembrow

would think the rooves are all the same with the mountings inside should that roof happen to go into a DCC coach.

hopefully a one off - not up to the usual Bachmann quality that.   the windows and the tiny bit of floor I am less bothered about/ or cant see the issue.

Hi, hopefully the attached two photos will show the floor and roof issue. The floor edge was difficult to photo, to ensure it wasn't showing part of the flat floor, hopefully this is accurate. The edge of the floor showing is less than a 1mm and is over the middle part of the coach, but is still there and not as good as the coach side to floor joint achieved on the Mk2As. The roof moulding issue, shows one end where the mould imperfection is raised. The other end has the imperfection slightly depressed and was impossible to photo with my cheap camera. I cannot get the window halo effect on camera, it appears when the side is lit by natural light and was ok yesterday evening in artificial light. I'm wondering if it is an optical effect of a slight ripple at the top middle of the windows which magnifies a reflection of the circular no smoking signs, causing a rainbow colour circular mirage at the top of the window, in certain light conditions. Still overall happy with the coach. 

I've checked my rake of 5 (DCC) and they all have that tiny bump in the roof and the floor issue. I have to say though that I wouldn't have noticed it if hadn't of been pointed out.

Edited by gazwire

My rake of Intercity TSO, non dcc ones also have the roof issue.... To put this into perspective, I wouldn’t have noticed, like gazwire if someone didn’t point it out, and you have to angle the coach to get the light reflecting at the right angle and search the roof to locate the issue. I don’t have any of the other coaches as yet to check.

As for the windows and floor issue, I can’t see them with the naked eye (not saying they are not there), so they are still nice coaches, just a tad expensive.

Oh dear. I hope the blue and grey TSO’s will not be similarly affected. My fingers are crossed that they will not be.

Rob.

I've got both blue/grey and intercity coaches and have compared both. I think it's the black roof that highlights the problem, as it doesn't show on the blue/grey version. As for the floor and glazing problems, the coaches I have don't have this, so not sure why this appears to be an issue. Tony.