Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

At least get your facts right. The wheels are the correct size, the spacer between the chassis and the top of the bogies was too shallow (by 20 - 30 thou).

The wheels fitted to those coaches were 11.5mm diameter (the same as on Lima coaches) and are noticeably underscale.

Are you sure Andrew - a random non-scientific sample of the B4 bogies on mine on both Mk2 & 2A show them to be 12mm in diameter (measured where BR did) - apart from that, I defy anyone to spot a 0.25mm difference in height - very much like the real thing.  Why would Bachmann have used Lima dimensioned wheels or am I missing something.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1

See Daveclass47 video clips further back this thread they appear OK together ride height wise.....

Thanks for that, it does seem to sit well next to the Oxford Mk3 and the difference between the 2f and the Mk2a ride heights suggests it should sit well next to the Mk1 BG or a Mk1 restaurant as well.

The main gripe here appears to be the price so I have a few suggestions for people:

1. Don't moan, just accept the price. If you want to carry on buying Airfix/Hornby Mk2Ds then that's fine (good luck with finding TSOs).

2. As we have been waiting 5 years for these then it might have been a good idea to actually put some money aside so if you wanted to buy these when they came out you could afford to purchase them with no financial hardship.

As regards any other moans on this topic I've decided to just ignore them. Constructive criticism is fine, First Class seats being the wrong way round is a good case in point. All the other negative remarks seem to me to be "how woe is me" - you know what, I really don't care.

Well, just ignore them then.

• Like 1

What's the difference between the Mk2F DCC and the Mk2F, apart from the price.

Mike

Two PCB's - One in the roof (for the integral DCC circuit inc. the SMLED's for the lighting) and one under the interior moulding for the power feeds from each bogie and the On/Off/Flash tail lamp switch.  The top PCB is also held in by mouldings / light guides at each end for the tail lamps.

Edited by Bob Reid

• RMweb Gold

Folks....anyone know if the non DCC versions are fitted with wheel electrical pickups?

Yes, the non-DCC versions are fitted with electrical pickups. I have a non-DCC layout and have now bought three of the new Mark 2f’s and just completed fitting passengers and lights inside. I’ve used the lighting kits found on eBay using the Coach-lighting.com kits (linked below - no connections ... just a happy customer!). The PCBs are fitted with a small but useful super capacitor that allows stay-alive for several minutes for us non-DCC users. The very low friction pickups that Bachmann have installed are very useful and has made fitting lights a doddle.

http://www.coach-lighting.com

Yes, the non-DCC versions are fitted with electrical pickups. I have a non-DCC layout and have now bought three of the new Mark 2f’s and just completed fitting passengers and lights inside. I’ve used the lighting kits found on eBay using the Coach-lighting.com kits (linked below - no connections ... just a happy customer!). The PCBs are fitted with a small but useful super capacitor that allows stay-alive for several minutes for us non-DCC users. The very low friction pickups that Bachmann have installed are very useful and has made fitting lights a doddle.http://www.coach-lighting.com

Excellent, thanks for that.

Two PCB's - One in the roof (for the integral DCC circuit inc. the SMLED's for the lighting) and one under the interior moulding for the power feeds from each bogie and the On/Off/Flash tail lamp switch.  The top PCB is also held in by mouldings / light guides at each end for the tail lamps.

Apart from the DBSO Mk2f which is only available in DCC form.

The main gripe here appears to be the price so I have a few suggestions for people:

1. Don't moan, just accept the price. If you want to carry on buying Airfix/Hornby Mk2Ds then that's fine (good luck with finding TSOs).

2. As we have been waiting 5 years for these then it might have been a good idea to actually put some money aside so if you wanted to buy these when they came out you could afford to purchase them with no financial hardship.

As regards any other moans on this topic I've decided to just ignore them. Constructive criticism is fine, First Class seats being the wrong way round is a good case in point. All the other negative remarks seem to me to be "how woe is me" - you know what, I really don't care.

Nothing to say you can't choose to ignore comments you don't like but replying to them to say you're ignoring them by definition makes absolutely no sense.  

Personally I welcome all views here and you'll find some are constructive, some less so, but its all good forum fodder.

Until moderators impose a rule to say that criticism posted on this forum will be deleted unless they view it as constructive I hope that freedom of opinion good or bad will remain unfettered.   But there is really no need to make a post telling the RMWeb world that you have your fingers in your ears on a particular viewpoint LOL.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I bought two blue and grey TSO's, and a BSO today at Monk Bar Models, York. All are the DCC versions, and very good they are. The only thing is that the first BSO tested had faulty tail lamps that only lit up when the saloon lights were on. Thankfully the second example was perfect, along with the TSO's.

• RMweb Gold

A nice big box arrived today from Rails of Sheffield containing various Bachmann B/G Mk2fs, including the DBSO.

post-29162-0-15355600-1541521668_thumb.jpeg

The buffer beam detailing bits are tricky to install - the holes for the hoses need to be enlarged for the hoses to fit as, if you don’t, the locating tab on the hose snaps off. This is often the case with many manufacturers as no allowance for the paint thickness on the hose part or any moulding tolerance is made.

The orange part above the RH buffet is almost impossible to fit - in the end I cut off the locating tab on the part and glued it in place with a small dab of superglue applied with the end of a toothpick.

The holes in the underside of the buffer beam also need to be enlarged for the detail parts to fit.

This lack of attention to detail on Bachman’s part aside, this is a superb model and I am really pleased with it.

Looking forward to the Scotrail liveried version.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 8

The orange part above the RH buffet is almost impossible to fit - in the end I cut off the locating tab on the part and glued it in place with a small dab of superglue applied with the end of a toothpick.

After an initial frustration I found it much easier if the buffer is removed before tackling it.

• RMweb Gold

After an initial frustration I found it much easier if the buffer is removed before tackling it.

I did try that but the buffer didn’t seem to want to come out so, not wanting to break it, I decided discretion was the better part of valour.

It turned out all right in the end :)

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
A few were asking how they compared to other models;

Against the Bachmann MK1 BG (the MK1 still appears slightly too high in my opinion) :

Bachmann MK2F and Bachmann Mk1

Larger view:

Bachmann MK2F and Bachmann Mk1

Against the Bachmann MK2A:

Bachmann MK2F and Bachmann Mk2A

Against the Hornby MK2D:

Bachmann MK2F and Hornby MK2D

Overall it's not too bad but it is a shame that the Bachmann models don't match up more accurately. I would've hoped this was quite an important part of the QA process when producing models all to the same scale.