Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

I take it you don't get the switch that you get on the regular Mk2fs underneath for switching the tail lamp function on/off/flashing as it would not really be run cab end facing any hauling loco or have Bachmann just kept it anyway?

Yes, the hole for the switch position is empty so nothing other than the functions listed above.

I take it you don't get the switch that you get on the regular Mk2fs underneath for switching the tail lamp function on/off/flashing as it would not really be run cab end facing any hauling loco or have Bachmann just kept it anyway?

There's no switch, as there is no socket for any tail lamp on the DBSO. It's just a blank moulded bracket.

Morning,

As Tractor says my 2 DBSOs came with a DCC information leaflet

Function Keys are:

0     Directional Lights On/Off

1     N/A

2     Cab Lights

3     Guard's Compartment Lights

4     Passenger Seating Area

PJ10

Thanks PJ10. Mine didn't have the leaflet, hence the question.

The end roof panel was supposed to be flush with the adjacent roof panel - i.e. one flush with other, though the join (as with the other weld lines on the roof) have not been modelled the join between the roof end panel and the cab front has been correctly modelled with the usual Mk2 curved end replaced during the conversion with flat framing and panels.  If you run your fingernail over the join to the roof on the model, you'll see it has been modelled as the prototype.  

You need to look somewhere else for whatever you think doesn't look right.

• Like 1

I saw and was involved with these from the conversion in 1979 till they left us in 1989 on an almost daily basis and they look perfectly fine to me.  It was you that said one panel on the roof sat above the other - in your words "too flush", not mine but now you've decided it isn't?  The point of using the fingernail on the cab front was to prove that the cab dome to flat cab front step is there - exactly as the prototype whereas you said it was flush?  Of course if that's how you perceive them well that's entirely your choice but I would suggest you are looking for an issue that doesn't exist.

If you look at the model, you'll see the correct join between the original curved roof and the conversion flat front.  The shadow highlights the join shape and that it is exactly as the prototype i.e. it deepens towards the centre of the cab window tapering to zero at either end.

post-6691-0-82265100-1545775751_thumb.png

What is your problem? You are correct and everyone is talking rubbish?

I said the roof/cab join area is too flush. Pictures prove otherwise. Maybe your memory is going.

And no critical comments of Bachmann allowed by you.

No discussion allowed. Same on the Oxford Rail Mk3 topic.

I think you've got the wrong person try your insults somewhere else.

Edited by Bob Reid

• RMweb Gold

I just hate it when nit pickers raise their ugly heads, it’s a model for goodness sake! It runs on the wrong scale track, the flanges are over scale compared to the prototype and for loco’s, there not powered by coal, fire and steam, diesel or high voltage electricity but a 12v motor. There’s no miniature driver sitting in the cab making the train go.

If it passes the 3ft rule, then accept it, if you can’t, shut up and get back in your box.

• Like 1

If you look at the model, you'll see the correct join between the original curved roof and the conversion flat front.  The shadow highlights the join shape and that it is exactly as the prototype i.e. it deepens towards the centre of the cab window tapering to zero at either end.

attachicon.gifIMG_0588.png

For me the model captures the look of the real one very well ...........although perhaps the spacing of the end cover retaining clips could have been better, especially the top pair. but that's a VERY VERY minor issue...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151257534@N04/38359438171/in/photolist-ZmzUXA-21mQQmq-21rG9xD

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The photo shows the clips on this coach weren't even in the same location on each side of the centre cover.  It also shows a loss of paint further up the left side, possible caused by a clip being located there at some point?

Presumably the clips were movable.  In which case the "perfect" symmetrical pattern that Bachmann have used is as good as we can expect?

A photo showing another variation and more paint loss:   

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117983829@N03/15991215428/

Edited by 55020

I see what you mean about the end cover retaining clips, but that photograph of the prototype seems to have two different styles of clip and they are not the same spacing on both sides of the door, which may mean that either these varied by prototype or were prone to requiring replacement and replacements were often fitted alongside the original location.

For a model, I think Bachmann's representation looks quite good, although I don't require a BR era DBSO.  Is the perceived issue that the line between the roof and the end panels looks as though it is horizontal on the model, whereas in that prototype photograph it appears as though the underside of the roof overhang is curved inwards.  If this is the case, and the overhang is greatest in the centre (which it is), then then the join line wouldn't quite be horizontal as the roof would overlap more in the centre and therefore join further down the panel.  It could of course just be a shadow that gives that impression in some prototype photographs.  I know nothing of the prototype, so am only guessing.

The clips were short sections of steel 'U' section channel and each had (in the rear and not usually seen) a threaded hole into which a bolt was fitted that was tightened against the rear of the faceplate - and held in place by a locknut.  The position height-wise, varied as it was really dependant on where the filters put them! - sometime later the brackets were screwed onto to the ply shield but that didn't stop them being lost or knocked off from time to time especially when they were removed from the vehicles going to Glasgow Works.  Nearly ten years after they left the region, you could still occasionally find one of the clips lying about the yard in Craigentinny.  Add to that towards the end of their ScR lives the shields became very dilapidated and the screws pulled out forcing them to move them either side of the original position onto fresh wood.

What you are seeing David is the shadow of the curved, when viewed from above, roof "dome.  From face on, it was level and it's that curve of the dome that creates that curved shadow on the flat panel below it.

This was the best part image I could find that would take some enlargement and show the curved shadow.  Imagine the sun, is up and to your right behind you.  On the curved edge it creates that shadow curving down the way on a flat panel.

post-6691-0-45968600-1545835605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob Reid

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what some of the above posters were thinking on Xmas day after eating their stuffing and turkey.

Maybe such grumpiness was in fact brought on by a microwaved meal for one...….

That thought initially made me smile, however in seriousness, it’s worth considering dinner for one on Christmas Day may not actually be fun, nor even grumpiness, but as a result of something less jovial for some.

Relax the strings, it is after all Christmas.

To break the air, it was this day traditionally in 1987,8,9,90,91 I set off at the crack of dawn with my father to Bolton, class 47 to Preston and 86 hence to Glasgow, where each year the plan differed...

One year it was a walk to Queen st, 47/7 and 26’s abundant and train to Edinburgh, Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen.

Another year was straight to Fort William, Mallaig and Oban.

And theee times it was to Inverness, Wick, Thurso and Kyle.

Each trip included friendly welcomes on depots, indeed one on trip to Inverness the shed forum gave us a tour including the works, at the door he said one year, I shouldn’t show you this as it’s caused considerable issues with staff... he opened the door and lo and behold was a class 142 pacer ! He stressed it was only there for repairs, as a result of some internal tender for work, but the drivers had become very concerned at its presence.

Another year our return was delayed by snow and the highland line closed, rescue was a 12 hour late sleeper going southbound by a 47+37 combo. At Aviemore the station had been cleared by none other than preserved class 27 D5394. Of course two trips centred around the missing bridge at Loch Ness.

Sadly I never took a picture of the 47/7 (my cheap 110asa film was saved for other things, poor pictures, but good memories), sadly my dad has passed but the task remains, i’m taking my little one on a day trip tomorrow to see daddy’s favourite locos from Scotland at this time, and who would think not only are they still running, but they are largo logo blue too still.... 37/4s from Barrow to Carlisle, last day of service is on Friday, and with those DBSOs too...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yep some folks need a chill pill. It is Christmas after all. We each have our own opinions .

Amazingly, I say that because I really am impressed , a member of my family actually gave me one of these for Christmas . While annoyed they paid so much for it I’m impressed that they researched what would look good on my Railway , really without much of a clue with what I run up the loft . With no model railway shops around they had to send away for this . A very thoughtful present. I was gobsmacked ! Yet to unbox it and I will have to be careful as it’s not compatible with my electronic track cleaner but will have a good look at it today. To me it looks like a DBSO though.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Me and mini-me had a great day in the Cumbrian coast last Friday.

The 12pm service from Carlisle was packed, with 37424 (now on the Bachmann shopping list).

37425 from Barrow exited like a true steam loco, smoked off into the distance, could hear it 3 minutes after it departed, around 10 minutes late.. a very fine end.

Now for Bachmann to add a DRS set with DBSO (without gangway) to the 2019 range ?

I was surprised at how many 37/4s are currently active on NR in large logo blue... 37401, 37402, 37403, 37407, 37409, 37424 are all currently Mainline DRS in BR Large Logo Blue... I understand 37419 is next for a repaint. I guess DRS is looking to repaint it’s whole fleet of 37/4’s judging by current progress. 37025 is also L/L blue under Colas.

I’d have never have predicted that in 1989 when they were ousted from Scotland for 156’s, then ousted from Manchester in 1994 also for 156’s that it would still be possible to find a fleet of them in Passenger service in 2018.

On train talk suggested a future of freight for the 37/4’s beckons with 37/0’s to go, and the DBSOs could move to Norwich and Fife.

Edited by adb968008

Now for Bachmann to add a DRS set with DBSO (without gangway) to the 2019 range ?

I understand 37419 is next for a repaint. I guess DRS is looking to repaint it’s whole fleet of 37/4’s judging by current progress. 

On train talk suggested a future of freight for the 37/4’s beckons with 37/0’s to go, and the DBSOs could move to Norwich and Fife.

Here here! For DRS Mk2Fs in 2019 range. 

37402 is currently receiving a F exam at LORAM Debry, with 37419 (inc. LL livery) next. Followed by 37425 (inc. LL livery), then possibly 405 or 422 (yet neither certain)(403 hire ends soon and shall be back off to preservation). Certainly medium term plans for the /4 as they are a versatile locomotive. 

37/0s have all received F exams recently, so won't be going (well 038, 059, 069, 218 not 259)(the remaining 37/6s are on borrowed time). The DBSOs won't be going to Fife as they cannot work with the class 68, plus more importantly, the 68 diagrams end soon! The only use the DBSOs might have is, acting as a BSO within the Anglia Short Set as per 9704 has done previously. 

.... who said the Cumbrian was over? On hire until the 25th Jan, so they shall be out again! 

Of course, both Bachmann and Hornby have missed a trick in the last 3 years and bring out train sets of the Cumbrian. Would have been an extremely popular offering to those not previously modelling. By the end of the summer, the 37s and Mk2fs shall not be used daily and the magic (thus opportunity) to model shall start to fade. It is a huge disappointment of mine that neither manufacturer has cashed in on the DRS Mk2e/f.

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1

after watching an old black and white you tube video of the push pulls I reckon a blue silver roof 47/7 with black domino headcode could be on the cards.

it would allow people to form a full train if they wish as the CO Mk3 didnt feature from day 1.  Use the blue DBSO and oxford rail mk3s.

don't believe Bachmann have released a 00 gauge blue 47/7 yet.

Hello everyone

Have been following the thread since starting and, obviously, the MK2F has generated a massive amount of interest.

My friend bought the Blue/Grey RFB coach (Non DCC) and asked me if I would do a re-spray for him.  Have just completed the job and thought I would share with you all as I think it really looks well in Virgin Livery.

It has been completed using Fox transfers and Precision Paints with a final coat of Rainbow Railways semi gloss varnish - all paints being enamel.

Any comments, observations, please feel free.

John

post-6270-0-70670200-1546185385_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-52946500-1546185396_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-26788200-1546185408_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

My old Bachmann spectrum drive class 46 with a rake of 3 Mk 2Fs, 1 mk1 buffet and 3 Mk 2Es.

I know, a 46 is not ideal for aircons as they had no ETH, even more so a 20+ year old ex mainline tooling but it was the first British outline with split drive. It also has working lights. More appropriate locos (class 47 and 50) are DCC sound fitted and my first tests were plain DC (my 45 and Deltic being in 60s condition).

post-15098-0-20591000-1546188830_thumb.jpg

• Like 4