Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Bob, I suspect that the shot was taken on the Old Dalby test track, judging by the length of ropey bullhead track in the foreground. If so, I was indeed on the train and it was taken on 7/6/79 (Derby Day) - I ran a sweepstake amongst the crew on board. The DBSO was 9701 by the way, which was used for all the testing along with 47704.

Thanks John, I wasn't sure as one of the first few came back to us early on for rectification, which I thought was 9701...  Brian Daniels has a photo of the set on return from the tests sitting in St.Rollox yard. https://flic.kr/p/9TNTMU

Edited by Bob Reid
Added info

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bob Reid said:

Thanks John, I wasn't sure as one of the first few came back to us early on for rectification, which I thought was 9701...  Brian Daniels has a photo of the set on return from the tests sitting in St.Rollox yard. https://flic.kr/p/9TNTMU

Bob, from memory the set headed North in late July/early August, after some main line testing between Derby and Birmingham. A shame that our dear late friend Ray Murison isn't around to help answer these questions...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Bob, from memory the set headed North in late July/early August, after some main line testing between Derby and Birmingham. A shame that our dear late friend Ray Murison isn't around to help answer these questions...

Sadly missed...  I think Brian photographed in early August up at the Works.  Unusual in itself as the Mk3's were coming to us straight from the LM and were rarely seen as a set there.

• Agree 1

On 21/01/2019 at 11:28, tractor_37260 said:

Have they possibly used the Trans-Pennine positioning for the colours on that sample which was very slightly lower?

Let's hope they don't come with that Blue/White lining as in the mock up photos either, it's applied too low down, the top edge of the White should be hard against the window frames/door handles, the branding position could easily be changed, not so the the lining.

https://www.flickr.c...w-bNxKJ4-XmrZSM

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-br-mk2-tso-tourist-second-open-br-scotrail-39-353/

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’m trying to get some more non DCC blue/grey Mk IIF FO’s but they seem to have disappeared or on Ebay at silly prices.  Anyone know if Bachmann plan to release more?

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’m trying to get some more non DCC blue/grey Mk IIF FO’s but they seem to have disappeared or on Ebay at silly prices.  Anyone know if Bachmann plan to release more?

No more Blue/Grey announced so far. But Hornby will be producing some later this year. Perhaps they will be a match, or close enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Reid said:
  • Are you operating it on DCC or DC? Either way, have you confirmed (using a loco) that the controller is reversing correctly?  Strange that both should have the same apparent fault as they should irrespective, reverse the lights as the direction changes.

On DCC and yes its being pushed/pulled by a loco.  Can't understand it.

6 hours ago, raetiamann said:

I'm having a problem with the lighting on my DBSOs, as both only show headlights irrespective of the direction of travel. Any thought please?

Sorry if this is a silly question but have you programmed them as a consist with the loco so that the DBSO knows when it is going in reverse?

Regards

Roddy 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Evening 

Have you tried Rails. Just bought some DCC blue/grey Mk IIFs and they are showing stock of the non DCC coaches as well.

PJ10

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Derails are still showing stock of the FO at RRP discounted price

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raetiamann said:

On DCC and yes its being pushed/pulled by a loco.  Can't understand it.

Straight out of the box the DBSO should have directional lighting using address 03 . Try setting the loco your using with it to 03 address also and then see what happens. 

Have you changed the DBSO address or any of it's CV's ? Rather odd the tail lights don't work on it at all.....

HTH

3 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

Sorry if this is a silly question but have you programmed them as a consist with the loco so that the DBSO knows when it is going in reverse?

Regards

Roddy 

No, I haven't tried that. I'll give it a go and see, cheers

3 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

Regards

Roddy 

No, I haven't tried that. I'll give it a go and see, cheers

28 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Straight out of the box the DBSO should have directional lighting using address 03 . Try setting the loco your using with it to 03 address also and then see what happens. 

Have you changed the DBSO address or any of it's CV's ? Rather odd the tail lights don't work on it at all.....

HTH

I'll try that too, thanks

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quick question on formations.

After a quick flirtation with O Gauge, I've cleared the decks and am back to OO and going to focus on the Western Region in 1985-1990.

I want a rake of these in Blue / Grey and a rake in Intercity and am just wondering what mix of coach types to go for?

The memory's a bit hazy now but for the Blue / Grey, I seem to recall a lot of Aircon trains ran with a MK1 BG in lieu of an Aircon BSO and with a MK1 catering vehicle (would that have been an RMB?).  I can run 6 coach trains, so this could look something like MK1 BG / 3 x MK2F TSO / MK1 RMB / MK2F FO.  I'd need to add lighting to the RMB but that's not a problem.  Down side is that if you look at photos of those trains, they're a lot longer and the proportion of Aircons to Mk1's is a bit out for a 6 coach train.

Second option for Blue / Grey is to omit the MK1 vehicles altogether and go MK2F BSO / 4 x MK2F TSO / MK2f FO.  Did such trains run on the WR?  And should I include an extra FO in lieu of one of the TSO's?

For the Intercity rake, I'm thinking MK2F BSO / 3 x MK2F TSO / MK2F RFB / MK2F FO.  Is that too much first-class?  I guess I could get an additional TSO and then run with the RFB for closer to 1990 and add in a MK1 RMB for earlier?

What are other people doing?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks
Mike

I remember holidays in the Southwest when I'd be pestering to go to see the trains at Dawlish and Penzance, quite a lot of the earlier trains were for want of a better phrase 'a bit of everything'. Aircons intermingled with Mk1 and pressure ventilated Mk2, for a 6 coach train I'd say a mix of all 3 wouldn't go amiss, and to be honest a mix of liveries also wouldn't be out of place. I've also seen a single Mk2 FO replaced with two Mk2a BFK coupled with the guards vans together as well, so that is also an option to replace a BG (as well as an excuse to wind up the 'that shouldn't be like that brigade')

https://www.derbysulzers.com/45122dawlishw86.jpg is how I best remember those trains, but I understand mixing liveries isn't to everyones tastes.

I'd say for a B/G rake a replication of something like the linked image where the first 3 coaches are all different flavours of Mk2 would give the right impression, though sadly the Mk2b/c isn't available. I think at the time the most common catering vehicle on these services was the Mk1 RBR rather than an RMB, which sadly is also not available anymore unless you can obtain the old Mainline coach, a Bachmann Mk1 RU is the closest substitute otherwise. For a B/G rake of mid '80s representation I'd probably go with something like this - Mk2f TSO / Mk2a TSO / Mk2a TSO / Mk1 RBR(RU) / Mk2a BFK / Mk2a BFK or Mk1 BG / Mk2f TSO / Mk2a TSO / Mk1 RBR(RU) / Mk2a TSO / Mk2f FO. I tend to remember aircons becoming more common around the same point when mixed liveried rakes were the norm as it was often the aircon which was the one in a different livery so they were easier to notice.

For the IC rake, a typical NE/SW (later XC) 6 set would have the RFB as the only first class. BSO/TSOx4/RFB would be the way I'd go as that covers pretty much anywhere in the UK these trains went, right into privatisation when they started appearing in Virgin livery with the same formation; and carried on as such until replaced with Voyagers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Zunnan said:

I remember holidays in the Southwest when I'd be pestering to go to see the trains at Dawlish and Penzance, quite a lot of the earlier trains were for want of a better phrase 'a bit of everything'. Aircons intermingled with Mk1 and pressure ventilated Mk2, for a 6 coach train I'd say a mix of all 3 wouldn't go amiss, and to be honest a mix of liveries also wouldn't be out of place. I've also seen a single Mk2 FO replaced with two Mk2a BFK coupled with the guards vans together as well, so that is also an option to replace a BG (as well as an excuse to wind up the 'that shouldn't be like that brigade')

https://www.derbysulzers.com/45122dawlishw86.jpg is how I best remember those trains, but I understand mixing liveries isn't to everyones tastes.

I'd say for a B/G rake a replication of something like the linked image where the first 3 coaches are all different flavours of Mk2 would give the right impression, though sadly the Mk2b/c isn't available. I think at the time the most common catering vehicle on these services was the Mk1 RBR rather than an RMB, which sadly is also not available anymore unless you can obtain the old Mainline coach, a Bachmann Mk1 RU is the closest substitute otherwise. For a B/G rake of mid '80s representation I'd probably go with something like this - Mk2f TSO / Mk2a TSO / Mk2a TSO / Mk1 RBR(RU) / Mk2a BFK / Mk2a BFK or Mk1 BG / Mk2f TSO / Mk2a TSO / Mk1 RBR(RU) / Mk2a TSO / Mk2f FO. I tend to remember aircons becoming more common around the same point when mixed liveried rakes were the norm as it was often the aircon which was the one in a different livery so they were easier to notice.

For the IC rake, a typical NE/SW (later XC) 6 set would have the RFB as the only first class. BSO/TSOx4/RFB would be the way I'd go as that covers pretty much anywhere in the UK these trains went, right into privatisation when they started appearing in Virgin livery with the same formation; and carried on as such until replaced with Voyagers.

7 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

For a 6 coach rake of Blue/Grey Air Cons on the WR I would forget about the BSO/BFK and go for BG, FO, RBR/RMB, 3xTSO

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Don’t know if this has been asked already as on the “mobile” site and difficult to search, but does anyone know if they will possible be doing scotrail to go with the DBSO I’ve seen several rakes on you tube with various MK2 including old TSO but prefer an air con set, somehow the Oxford Mk3 don’t appeal thanks 

15 minutes ago, TTDB said:

Don’t know if this has been asked already as on the “mobile” site and difficult to search, but does anyone know if they will possible be doing scotrail to go with the DBSO I’ve seen several rakes on you tube with various MK2 including old TSO but prefer an air con set, somehow the Oxford Mk3 don’t appeal thanks 

Think from memory there was only one MK2F for Scotrail and it was an FO? 3284??

Was quite a few MK2D though. 

Edited by 66738
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, 66738 said:

Think from memory there was only one MK2F for Scotrail and it was an FO? 3284??

Was quite a few MK2D though. 

Thanks I’ve seen a few MK2 airocons in a YouTube video with the DBSO some still in Intercity livery and some blue grey a varied rake 

12 hours ago, TTDB said:

Thanks I’ve seen a few MK2 airocons in a YouTube video with the DBSO some still in Intercity livery and some blue grey a varied rake 

Hi TTDB

I'm wondering whether it was my video you saw on youtube...

In the late 80s and especially once InterCity West Coast started to commandeer ScotRail Mk 3s, the push-pull sets became very varied in terms of their make-up and liveries. They mostly used Mk 2d's rather than 2f's, although some earlier Mk 2's were used as well. My set just uses 2f's because I like them and I think they look OK! There was only one Mk 2f in ScotRail livery, FO 3284. It was basically used as a stand-in for a Mk 3 FO as I understand it.

IMG_1949.JPG.c4bd70d227153f1a2fa46f36ac2dd3ed.JPG

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1