Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

Hi Dave,

given that the Mk3 FO's had a fairly short life in Scotrail livery before becoming CO and half-standard class, did that Mk2F 3284 still get used as a Mk3 CO after that? was it used interchangeably with the Mk3 CO's in the push-pull rakes? I thought the E-G push pull rakes were pretty uniform Mk3s and a DBSO, I didn't remember noticing a Mk2F mixed in there, is it something to look out for now?

Cheers,

Gordon

Some of the DCC on Board Mk2f's are now available for £52 each at Hattons. 

Great price - down from £67 (RRP a shade under £80) and now only £6 more than the non DCC versions.

BR Blue/Grey FO

Inter-City TSO

• Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Hi Dave,

given that the Mk3 FO's had a fairly short life in Scotrail livery before becoming CO and half-standard class, did that Mk2F 3284 still get used as a Mk3 CO after that? was it used interchangeably with the Mk3 CO's in the push-pull rakes? I thought the E-G push pull rakes were pretty uniform Mk3s and a DBSO, I didn't remember noticing a Mk2F mixed in there, is it something to look out for now?

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

3284 lasted in ScotRail livery until at least 1989, so I strongly suspect it was used as a stand-in for COs as well.

Someone else on here (Flood, Bod Reid?) may be able to enlighten us with the details and unfortunately, I don't have any definite sightings of 3284 in photos of it in a rake in service.

The actual E-G rakes remained fairly uniform for quite a few years, but use of the push-pull rakes was expanded onto the Glasgow - Aberdeen - Edinburgh triangle (86-87ish??) and I think that was when the formations started to become mixed, especially when InterCity started commandeering Mk 3s in the late 80s. Several more 47/7s were authorised when the push-pulls proved such a success (even being used to Carstairs) and Mk 2's of various marks, including early marks) started to be used. It wasn't uncommon to see a ScotRail BG in the formation either, particularly on the Glasgow to Aberdeen route. Short formations with only 4 Mk 3s (as opposed to 5) were not that unusual either.

So the story of ScotRail push-pull rakes is far from a uniform one, certainly as regards those used away from the E-G route.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

There was a list of ScotRail push-pull rakes posted by br2975 from the weekend of 27th - 28th Feb 1988 on RMweb (31 Aug 2009). I can't seem to find it on search at the moment so I'll post my word document which has had a few more details added.

What is does show is that the 07.10 Perth - Edinburgh etc service (the one normally with the Mk2z stock and a BSO) was formed as below:

47702 + 5539 + 5695 + 6601 + 3284 + 9703

so 3284 was being used with a scratch rake. 5539 was officially a cross-country coach, 5695 was officially InterCity East Coast with both in blue and grey.

Push-pull rakes Feb 1988 (rev2).doc

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Hi TTDB

I'm wondering whether it was my video you saw on youtube...

In the late 80s and especially once InterCity West Coast started to commandeer ScotRail Mk 3s, the push-pull sets became very varied in terms of their make-up and liveries. They mostly used Mk 2d's rather than 2f's, although some earlier Mk 2's were used as well. My set just uses 2f's because I like them and I think they look OK! There was only one Mk 2f in ScotRail livery, FO 3284. It was basically used as a stand-in for a Mk 3 FO as I understand it.

IMG_1949.JPG.c4bd70d227153f1a2fa46f36ac2dd3ed.JPG

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave

I did see your super video but also watched this too,,,colour variations 

• Like 3

Great video TTDB, not seen that particular one before.

I've seen many like it with similar multi-coloured formations in the late 80s though, with Mk 2s of all sorts of varieties and colours and Mk 3s of various colours.

They're the kinds of rakes I was attempting to represent in my video.

Edited by Waverley West
Added info
  • Like 1

Okay, short story time about the Mk2f FO SC 3284...

in the beginning :mellow: In 1970 When the region introduced the 2x27 Push Pull's on the E&G,  5 sets including an FK were needed to cover the daily diagram workings.  The then GM organised the cascade of stock from the LM onto the ScR following conversion to add Air/Disc Brakes & Through Control wiring.  For the daily requirement of 5 full sets, they were given 7 FK's i.e. with 2 spare FK for failures or vehicles on works. Plenty.

When the replacement new service was introduced in 1979 with the DBSO's and Mk3 sets, the number of daily working diagrams was increased to six to allow for one set with its 1 x Mk3a FO to be diagrammed out daily for maintenance / exams at Craigentinny - except they got the sums a bit wrong (from a CM&EE point of view)  they gave us 7 FO's including the "luxury" of extra for spares/repair - except they'd never factored in that inevitably within the first year there would probably be one FO needing shopping or out for an extended time, so were one short  After a bit of persuasion by Geoff Passey no doubt, another FO was cascaded in and as the LM who were not happy at having to let 34 of the oldest  Mk3a's they could find go another Mk3a was off the table the only other suitable vehicle type, and with the same passenger environment was found. Mk2f FO SC3284

SC3284 became dedicated to the E&G fleet and like the all the E&G Fleet before it was not to be used on any other service under pain of death.  Most of the time if not under maintenance sat idle at Craigentinny where it was allocated.  Even when the Glasgow-Aberdeen's were introduced its rarely ventured off the depot unless working the E&G. This was relaxed later following Polmont out of necessity and likewise when the fleet was "downgraded" by Regional Railways to Class 158 (hardly EXPRESS) via 156's in the late 1980s it was no longer needed so lost its status and could be seen anywhere on or off Region. 

In almost all the shots you'll see of it in traffic on both the E&G's and Aberdeen's it's in as a spare could have been for the day maybe later on for that week but not as one of the vehicles normally diagrammed to work the service.  It was very much an ad-hoc vehicle that led a solitary life.  

It might all seem looking back, that these internal regional squabbles but we lived in a glass half full or glass half empty era depending on who in BR you worked for never mind from what region...  As for 3284, happily it emigrated to New Zealand to live its life out there. The legend that was SC 3284 - The Unknown Soldier :)

Bob.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

Okay, short story time about the Mk2f FO SC 3284...

in the beginning :mellow: In 1970 When the region introduced the 2x27 Push Pull's on the E&G,  5 sets including an FK were needed to cover the daily diagram workings.  The then GM organised the cascade of stock from the LM onto the ScR following conversion to add Air/Disc Brakes & Through Control wiring.  For the daily requirement of 5 full sets, they were given 7 FK's i.e. with 2 spare FK for failures or vehicles on works. Plenty.

When the replacement new service was introduced in 1979 with the DBSO's and Mk3 sets, the number of daily working diagrams was increased to six to allow for one set with its 1 x Mk3a FO to be diagrammed out daily for maintenance / exams at Craigentinny - except they got the sums a bit wrong (from a CM&EE point of view)  they gave us 7 FO's including the "luxury" of extra for spares/repair - except they'd never factored in that inevitably within the first year there would probably be one FO needing shopping or out for an extended time, so were one short  After a bit of persuasion by Geoff Passey no doubt, another FO was cascaded in and as the LM who were not happy at having to let 34 of the oldest  Mk3a's they could find go another Mk3a was off the table the only other suitable vehicle type, and with the same passenger environment was found. Mk2f FO SC3284

SC3284 became dedicated to the E&G fleet and like the all the E&G Fleet before it was not to be used on any other service under pain of death.  Most of the time if not under maintenance sat idle at Craigentinny where it was allocated.  Even when the Glasgow-Aberdeen's were introduced its rarely ventured off the depot unless working the E&G. This was relaxed later following Polmont out of necessity and likewise when the fleet was "downgraded" by Regional Railways to Class 158 (hardly EXPRESS) via 156's in the late 1980s it was no longer needed so lost its status and could be seen anywhere on or off Region. 

In almost all the shots you'll see of it in traffic on both the E&G's and Aberdeen's it's in as a spare could have been for the day maybe later on for that week but not as one of the vehicles normally diagrammed to work the service.  It was very much an ad-hoc vehicle that led a solitary life.  

It might all seem looking back, that these internal regional squabbles but we lived in a glass half full or glass half empty era depending on who in BR you worked for never mind from what region...  As for 3284, happily it emigrated to New Zealand to live its life out there. The legend that was SC 3284 - The Unknown Soldier :)

Bob.

A lot of then exported coaches were rebuilt again as push pull sets with a NZR style of DBSO! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:32, ThaneofFife said:

Some of the DCC on Board Mk2f's are now available for £52 each at Hattons. 

Great price - down from £67 (RRP a shade under £80) and now only £6 more than the non DCC versions.

BR Blue/Grey FO

Inter-City TSO

The Blue/Grey FO (both versions) was in stock with Hattons before supplies from Bachmann were stopped, so I presume the bargain price of the DCC version is Hatton's trying to shift excess unsold stock.

• Agree 1

My bargain TSOL from Hatton’s has arrived. I must admit that the tail light is very well done. Not too bright and the option for a steady oil light or a flashing battery light with different plug-in mouldings for each. I hope the bargain price wasn’t a flash in the pan. *groan*. I’d like to accumulate a train of them, a coach or two at a time.

yes far more easy to build a rake or two at that price.   not really worth buying the standard versions for £46 thinking you can fit your own lighting kits......

lets hope we see more of these bargains but maybe it is left over stock and its a one -off a blip before back to £67 .

was able to buy some more today - 4 x TSO's in executive livery with DCC.  a steal at £208.

Edited by ThaneofFife

I've been loyal and saved my pennies. They are expensive coaches, but they're worth every penny. My local model shop has near enough sold out of the dcc version- which is surprising considering their cost. Though it presses more on the wallet, I think we should embrace Bachamann's effort to strive for the best- even if it means the use of a credit card!

The 90s look great. I've bought an intercity version today which is superb. But that Freightliner version looks even more spectacular. I've going have to save a few more pennies!

15590740483601394502761.jpg

• Like 3

As a minimum I am tempted to paint on the white head rest liners in the 1st class coaches.  not sure how easy it would be to add orange curtains too or what best to use as a material. 

the tables are orange plastic but cant recall what colour the table tops were for this era of FO.   Were they white too?

Wonder how easy or hard these coaches are to get inside? 

• RMweb Gold

i think opening them up is easy enough and may have been described earlier in this thread. I also seem to remember reading somewhere on RMweb (on the Waverly layout thread perhaps) that the first class interior is the wrong way around so you can swap it into the correct position.

10 hours ago, BR Blue said:

i think opening them up is easy enough and may have been described earlier in this thread. I also seem to remember reading somewhere on RMweb (on the Waverly layout thread perhaps) that the first class interior is the wrong way around so you can swap it into the correct position.

Yes, the first class interior is the wrong way round. Opening them up is very easy though, just unclip the clips along the bottom of the body (there are four of them I think). A couple of bits of plastic need to be clipped out from the toilet compartment to release the wiring harness so the interior can be turned round (invisible once the coach is reassembled).

As regards curtains, I painted some plain A4 paper orange for the blue/grey ones or dusky pink for the InterCity/Scotrail livery and just cut them to shape. I just glued them in (don't use superglue of course), being careful not to get glue on the visible part of the windows.

Definitely worth the effort, as they add a nice finishing touch without too much hassle.

626341833_Mk2f9g.jpg.b675aead36399c9fab4239ee51e93443.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

8 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Yes, the first class interior is the wrong way round. Opening them up is very easy though, just unclip the clips along the bottom of the body (there are four of them I think). A couple of bits of plastic need to be clipped out from the toilet compartment to release the wiring harness so the interior can be turned round (invisible once the coach is reassembled).

As regards curtains, I painted some plain A4 paper orange for the blue/grey ones or dusky pink for the InterCity/Scotrail livery and just cut them to shape. I just glued them in (don't use superglue of course), being careful not to get glue on the visible part of the windows.

Definitely worth the effort, as they add a nice finishing touch without too much hassle.

626341833_Mk2f9g.jpg.b675aead36399c9fab4239ee51e93443.jpg

These passengers look very good, their detail is better than most, are they Bachmann seated ones ? or.........

5 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Odd problem with my DCC fitted TSO. I can get the interior lights to work ok on f4 but the flashing tail light doesn’t work. 

I’ve tried the switch in different positions but even the steady light isn’t working. I have fitted the lamp, have f0 and f1 switched on but nothing. I know that the decoder is receiving a signal as I can switch f4 on and off ok. Had the body off for a look but nothing obvious stands out. 

Any other ideas please before I return it. 

TIA 

Eddie

Have you tried removing the lamp and checking the LED without it in place? If you still can't see any light, I think you can be pretty sure it's not working if all the functions are set correctly and the other lights are working.

I weathered mine and couldn't see any light through the lamp lens. Removing the lamp indicated that it was working and that a good clean/replacement of the lamp was all that was needed. 

On 29/05/2019 at 18:55, tractor_37260 said:

These passengers look very good, their detail is better than most, are they Bachmann seated ones ? or.........

Thanks. They're Preiser's seated passenger pack (pack no. 14400 if I remember correctly).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Odd problem with my DCC fitted TSO. I can get the interior lights to work ok on f4 but the flashing tail light doesn’t work. 

I’ve tried the switch in different positions but even the steady light isn’t working. I have fitted the lamp, have f0 and f1 switched on but nothing. I know that the decoder is receiving a signal as I can switch f4 on and off ok. Had the body off for a look but nothing obvious stands out. 

Any other ideas please before I return it. 

TIA 

Eddie

Check the direction of the coach and on the controller. The rear lamp needs to be at the rear of the coach, so the direction is important. Change the direction and it should work. Tony.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

does anybody know of any deals around on new mk2f's in the UK apart from those at Hattons at £52?  looking for more now but I have enough blue/grey FOs and executive TSOs.  need some executive FOs and blue/grey TSOs. dcc fitted.  I rather think the £52 ers may be a blip.