Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

Just wondering if anybody is having the same problem as me with these superb Bachmann coaches the lights are great when the coaches are stationary but as soon as they move the lights go off. I don't have this problem with any of the honrby MK1's with lights inside, they stay on constantly. My apologies if this has been raised elsewehere. Greatly appreciate any help, many thanks. Stay safe. Best Chris.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2020 at 21:37, Chrisjh said:

Just wondering if anybody is having the same problem as me with these superb Bachmann coaches the lights are great when the coaches are stationary but as soon as they move the lights go off. I don't have this problem with any of the honrby MK1's with lights inside, they stay on constantly. My apologies if this has been raised elsewehere. Greatly appreciate any help, many thanks. Stay safe. Best Chris.

Dirty wheels or contacts , or not tightly fitting contacts most likely.

The Hornby lights have a capacitor fitted which keeps the lights consistent and stay on for a few seconds after stopping.

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, letterspider said:

really :? that's not good for the extra cost.

Can capacitors be retrofitted?

I havent tried but dont see why not.

i’d imagine you would need to cut the wire between bogie and light unit, wire it to and fit a capacitor in something like the toilet space and wire it on to the lights.

Heres a comparison of the Hornby mk2e and Bachmann mk2f here

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i’d imagine you would need to cut the wire between bogie and light unit, wire it to and fit a capacitor in something like the toilet space and wire it on to the lights.

Heres a comparison of the Hornby mk2e and Bachmann mk2f here

Interesting comparison. The Hornby 2e lighting looks good but the coach is completely ruined in my view by the incorrect depth/placement of the grey band. Far too much grey below and not enough above the windows. Really stands out next to the Bachmann 2f.

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new Virgin and Intercity Swallow liveried Mark 2F’s are now coming into stock and my pre-order arrived this morning … very impressed! A new Virgin Cross Country rake for Davidson Parkway with a few pics below …

The RFM …3C77240A-22F5-4C6D-8F49-5F881A792A8F.jpeg.ddd7d41e785d1d8bab496fcbc205e8cb.jpeg

Standard class …

96C250D5-910A-4D74-9DBA-414190040869.jpeg.7c0feda38f513443903382725d3e9d93.jpeg

Standard class and brake

23AE472C-D444-46EB-BEE3-9B2E914F9CF7.jpeg.1f9994d1a2472eb01124ac2a268145d8.jpeg

End detail (additional details supplied in the goodie bag not yet fitted)

F3347B35-D8FE-45BD-ABDB-BB136EF34CD4.jpeg.3b57536738dad7193cfa63950c24d339.jpeg

A couple of pictures of the completed rake …

92D61A96-A930-47B3-8A1A-1385327FA7B5.jpeg.07d69652e660a1400939030b0441df91.jpeg

369E7E82-E968-4661-BFDE-D782B60CBFA6.jpeg.3205c11053429ee5d80d7ff056007ad6.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

On 17/12/2020 at 23:03, adb968008 said:

I don't think this is quite right.

If the unit has a DCC decoder then you would connect the capacitor after the decoder and in parallel at that,

I haven't seen the decoder but it may have pads for a capacitor?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, letterspider said:

I don't think this is quite right.

If the unit has a DCC decoder then you would connect the capacitor after the decoder and in parallel at that,

I haven't seen the decoder but it may have pads for a capacitor?

Yes, my bad wording, my mind was thinking non-DCC at the time (i’m DC only).

Edited by adb968008

It definitely isn’t as major as one might expect, especially if you are running Hornbys 2E/F, however the small details do add up and obviously the lights if you go for them. They are really nice coaches, but when they are now £94 rrp and accurascale can do a similar model with lights for £59, they are on the higher end of the price spectrum. 

• Agree 3

On 17/09/2021 at 12:12, adb968008 said:

Yes, my bad wording, my mind was thinking non-DCC at the time (i’m DC only).

I don't know if it has been covered earlier in this thread but the response from Bachmann was that the decoder is circuitry integrated into the light bar, as such they were unable to offer a straightforward solution for fitting a capacitor and to their advice to solve is to improve the track and pickup cleanliness. 

5 hours ago, The 158 Man said:

I considered getting a rake of 7 in Intercity Swallow livery, but then reconsidered. I have a full rake of the Hornby ones and although the Bachmann version is considered the better model there's nothing drastically wrong with the Hornby ones, with the finer elements of the Bachmann version such as the CDLs and the end details being wasted on me as I like to see them running, rather than sat in a platform or siding or carriage shed etc.

We all know the Hornby colours are *slightly* off (though nowhere near as bad as they used to be) but when running as a complete set it's not noticeable, especially with a white skirted Swallow 47, and even if they are "wrong" they're still very pleasing on the eye and they run beautifully. I also think I'm one of the few people that likes the tinted glazing, because it saves me fitting passengers and that would cost a lot. Tight Yorkshireman and all that.. :lol:

FInally we come to the price (yawn!) The Hornby ones came in at around £230 for a set of 7 from my local model shop. A set of Bachmann ones from Rails would set me back about £420, and that's just for the "normal" ones (I only run DC). I can't justify splashing out again at such a cost as nice as they are. It's also less nerve wracking to take a paintbrush and other weathering tools to a cheaper model... (on that note, does anyone else hate all the picked out bogie details?! They'll be getting painted...)

With all that being said, IF the Bachmann Swallow ones had arrived on the scene before the Hornby ones had been announced, that would no doubt have been a different story...

PXL_20210918_100549589~3.jpg

Agree on all counts. Now that I've stood the Bachmann beside the Hornby I can see what needs doing to "Bachmann-ise" the Hornby ones to make a rake and not spend £300 replacing six perfectly good coaches I already own. Add a film inside the windows to tint them up a bit more, repaint the interiors on both, take the moulded handrail off the Hornby and replace with wire and dust over the roofs to "turn them down" a bit. The underframes are interesting, I can't find any evidence of the real coaches having the step boards other than those directly below the doors picked out- the red springs are right for a newly outshopped (see below, not my photo!).

I will add Railtec CDL lights to the Hornby and that is the challenge, I think a coating of gloss varnish with a little dark brown paint mixed in onto the CDL lights before application will make them look a bit more like the Bachmann, will do a test one before the other six!

47634, Crewe, August 6th 1998

• Like 3

yes moan and i could about the price of the dcc ones no doubt about it you just dont see any blue and grey or executive TSOs for sale now.......theyve all gone. just apity that if or when Bachmann come around to a release of either of these liveries the RRP could well be breaking the £100 figure.  ouch.  its does seriously raise the question how can accurascale do the new mk2s with lights for £59 a positive bargain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

yes moan and i could about the price of the dcc ones no doubt about it you just dont see any blue and grey or executive TSOs for sale now.......theyve all gone. just apity that if or when Bachmann come around to a release of either of these liveries the RRP could well be breaking the £100 figure.  ouch.  its does seriously raise the question how can accurascale do the new mk2s with lights for £59 a positive bargain.

The Accurascale ones are simpler in terms of lights being just a magnetic reed switch for interior lights compared to a full DCC decoder for the flashing/static tail light, interior lights (and brake van lights of the BSOs) and CDL lights of the Bachmanns.

Accurascale prices certainly are competitive though and compare those with how much Bachmann tries to rake in for basic Mk1s or Mk2s

• Agree 1

Just received 4 Bachmann Swallow livery units. It may just be mine, but the paint on the stripes isn't as good as on the executive ones as there are faint bleeds into the next colour and each stripe isn't so well defined because of this. For £80 a piece I'm going to have to return them which is a shame.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gazwire said:

Just received 4 Bachmann Swallow livery units. It may just be mine, but the paint on the stripes isn't as good as on the executive ones as there are faint bleeds into the next colour and each stripe isn't so well defined because of this. For £80 a piece I'm going to have to return them which is a shame.

That really isn’t on. For as you say, £80 a coach it needs to be perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple of already hard to find DCC INTERCITY TSOs today (last two in the shop). Cracking models of course, which have the orange door lights. Trouble is, my INTERCITY RFB released in the first batch alongside the 'InterCity' models doesn't have the door lights, but I note the blue grey one (first batch) and Virgin one (latest batch) do have them. A predicament if trying to model an XC rake with door lights!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Picked up a couple of already hard to find DCC INTERCITY TSOs today (last two in the shop). Cracking models of course, which have the orange door lights. Trouble is, my INTERCITY RFB released in the first batch alongside the 'InterCity' models doesn't have the door lights, but I note the blue grey one (first batch) and Virgin one (latest batch) do have them. A predicament if trying to model an XC rake with door lights!

This is something I also noted, the lack of TSOs, come on Bachmann! As well as no door lights on the RFB from the last batch. Pretty sure the transfers exist for it, but would be a shame to do it like that 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

This is something I also noted, the lack of TSOs, come on Bachmann! As well as no door lights on the RFB from the last batch. Pretty sure the transfers exist for it, but would be a shame to do it like that 

That just seems to be the way Bachmann does things. I have just acquired a TSO and BSO in Spotrail to go behind Dapol’s lovely Spotrail 68. I have had to fill the train out with two Hornby TSOs. No lights on the Hornbys, of course. Apart from the lights, the differences are noticeable on examination but keep your distance and keep the train moving and they aren’t too bad. The most eye-catching is the footsteps. On the Hornbys they are yellow-edged but the whole tread is yellow on the Bachmanns and the difference is very prominent. I suppose if Bachmann had produced four or five TSOs instead of one, I’d have been complaining about the price!

22 hours ago, The 158 Man said:

I never understood why Bachmann released the RFB in INTERCITY Swallow livery alongside the InterCity Executive TSO, TFO and BSO anyway? Surely by the time the RFBs were introduced the vast majority of accompanying Mk2Fs would been updated with INTERCITY branding. That's certainly what I've found after doing copious amounts of research into train formations of that period. Granted there is an exception to every rule and I'm sure there was probably the odd one or two still in InterCity (plenty with no branding whatsoever as well) but there certainly wouldn't have been a train full.

See the cross-country service arriving from around 6.30 mins in this video:

It appears to show a very grubby InterCity Swallow RFB at the head of a rake of InterCity a/c Mk 2s (admittedly mostly/all Mk 2d's I think) all with either original I/C branding or no branding at all. This suggests the RFBs were some of the first coaches to receive the Swallow branding, hence also the lack of door locking lights?