Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

That’s interesting that the First Opens are out of stock.... that suggests the retailers think they will sell them.... down side for me, is that my plans were to pick a few up at a time over a couple of months to avoid the big hit on the credit card.... might need to change my plans!

As said elsewhere, maybe Bachmann now make just to match shop pre-orders.

I would not worry about the credit card hit, release is likely to drag across a couple of months anyway.

Got my FO today, this is some bit of kit, however I,ll be running mine alongside 2Es.

Bachmann's blue is considerably lighter than Hornby's but the grey band hight differences are not really jarring although the sole bars on the 2E are noticeable, but being black probably not that noticeable when running.

I,ve identified 3 of my DCC fitted locos as suitable candidates to pull them : class 40, class 47 and class 50. My Deltic is in 60s green so not apt.

I,ve been looking at pictures of Westerns but as far as I can tell, they never worked air cons.

A couple of pics

:post-15098-0-09406200-1539279482_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-75506400-1539279511_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I completely agree that is the general rule for class 40s, it did happen on more than a few occassions, especially with the Blackpool services

https://flic.kr/p/fWCrnZ

https://flic.kr/p/YZSTwG

https://flic.kr/p/9nn9fQ

https://flic.kr/p/7DPvxm

There was even one occasion where a class member took a Mk3 set over the S&C

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I completely agree that is the general rule for class 40s, it did happen on more than a few occassions, especially with the Blackpool services

https://flic.kr/p/fWCrnZ

https://flic.kr/p/YZSTwG

https://flic.kr/p/9nn9fQ

https://flic.kr/p/7DPvxm

There was even one occasion where a class member took a Mk3 set over the S&C

I had 40150 on A/C Mk2s from Preston to Blackpool N on 19/8/84, a very warm day. Passengers were wedging the sliding doors to the vestibules open with luggage, to get air flow from the droplights, and the guard was trying to shut them, moaning that the A/C wouldn't work with them open. He was roundly derided by the large number of "bashers" onboard.

Got my FO today, this is some bit of kit, however I,ll be running mine alongside 2Es.

Bachmann's blue is considerably lighter than Hornby's but the grey band hight differences are not really jarring although the sole bars on the 2E are noticeable, but being black probably not that noticeable when running.

I,ve identified 3 of my DCC fitted locos as suitable candidates to pull them : class 40, class 47 and class 50. My Deltic is in 60s green so not apt.

I,ve been looking at pictures of Westerns but as far as I can tell, they never worked air cons.

A couple of pics

:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Interesting comparison thanks. Would appreciate a similar comparison between the Bachmann RFB and the Intercity MK2es from Hornby in due course!

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics

:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for the comparison. I agree that the different blue and cream colours are not too jarring (Bachmann's I think are slightly better though). What jars most is Hornby's canary yellow first class band, which frankly looks awful.

great crisp photos in this months Railway Modeller of the IC executive livery (no CDL fitted) Mk2f BSO including some great shots in the dark showing the fine mesh over the brake area windows and the interiors red tables and seats.  They commented that the shade of LED Bachmann have used for the lighting is very realistic.

Fine coaches indeed.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comparison. I agree that the different blue and cream colours are not too jarring (Bachmann's I think are slightly better though). What jars most is Hornby's canary yellow first class band, which frankly looks awful.

Is the Hornby yellow right for some eras though? The yellow today is pretty similar to warning panel yellow, which did change, around 1984 if I recall correctly?

The reason I say this I have just pulled out a few books to look at photos from an earlier period and certainly the yellow band on many early photos seems to be more of a less orange yellow, again in keeping with earlier warning panels. In front of me now is Diesels in Wessex  and on page 10 there is a Mark 1 being pulled by a Class 33 and West Country, the yellow looking a good match with Hornby's yellow. As another, look at the photo of a Class 124 on this page: https://www.branchline.uk/pastevent-alt.php?eventid=92

Roy

My Mk2f RFB and TSOs arrived today. Here's a picture of the RFB between two Hornby (Lima tooling?) Mk3 SLEs. I also took a picture of half my sleeper train laid out in the kitchen; maybe one day I'll build a layout that can accommodate it!

Cheers

Rick

My Mk2f RFB and TSOs arrived today. Here's a picture of the RFB between two Hornby (Lima tooling?) Mk3 SLEs. I also took a picture of half my sleeper train laid out in the kitchen; maybe one day I'll build a layout that can accommodate it!

Cheers

Rick

post-1855-0-49570800-1539455313_thumb.jpg

post-1855-0-14293800-1539455329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rick_Skateboard
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Really like the look of these now I've read the reviews, these posts and seen some in the flesh. Thinking of a Blue/Grey set and spent the day googling but am non the wiser as to what would constitute a typical rake and in what formation?

From what I gather, the Buffet is the current preserved version so wouldn't suit a 1980's rake. I could use a Mk1 or Mk 3 but would then need to add lights etc.

Strange that the inter city buffet will also be CDL fitted, when the other coaches aren't. If the coaches are in Exec livery, then will there really be a market for a future Swallow branded livery?. I'm guessing Virgin might be next and possibly some DRS / Anglia appearing as Collectors Club models.

• RMweb Gold

Really like the look of these now I've read the reviews, these posts and seen some in the flesh. Thinking of a Blue/Grey set and spent the day googling but am non the wiser as to what would constitute a typical rake and in what formation?

From what I gather, the Buffet is the current preserved version so wouldn't suit a 1980's rake. I could use a Mk1 or Mk 3 but would then need to add lights etc.

Strange that the inter city buffet will also be CDL fitted, when the other coaches aren't. If the coaches are in Exec livery, then will there really be a market for a future Swallow branded livery?. I'm guessing Virgin might be next and possibly some DRS / Anglia appearing as Collectors Club models.

The Intercity Swallow livery buffet represents a small period (3years?) between conversion and fitting with CDLs.

The blue grey one is in preserved condition, dining for a blue grey (service) rake should be with mk1s, likewise for an Intercity executive rake. I think I am right in saying that by the time of conversion Intercity executive livery would be scarce (if any)

Model looks amazing, and if it had been CDL fitted i would have bought one. in the end I came across some cheap Hornby 2e coaches one of which will be converted with some 2F underframe bits in my scrap box and filled in windows. It can be fitted with CDL lights with the rest of the rake and meant i got 3 coaches for the price I’d have paid Bachmann

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Given Bachmann will almost certainly want to issue a release with CDL working lamps for the DCC equipped range I do expect a Swallow version to emerge at some point.

I’m sure it will, and given some sense (and the fact they did the 47/8 this year) I expect to see Virgin 2Fs follow as well.

Just for me I would rather do a little modelling and get what I want now

• Like 1