Hunters Lane WCML in N

bmthtrains - David

Yes, its the start of a new layout thread!

Firstly, Cross Street isn't going anywhere - I consider it my masterpiece, and as such any new layout was always going to have to be something quite different so I wasn't continually comparing the two.

Hunters Lane is born out of the downsides to Cross Street though (as I think many layouts are - the list of what you don't like about your current layout spurs you on to build the next!), as happy as I am with it, it is very heavy so difficult to handle, and it was designed to showcase 4-car EMUs, so I have nowhere to run expresses and long freights.

I felt it was time to build a mainline layout again, with a few restrictions:

• Layout had to be as light as possible, so the track must be on the flat (a change from my preferred use of viaduct/embankment to showcase the railway
  • Layout had to be as long (to run decent length trains) and narrow as possible (to keep weight down, and so it doesn't completely occupy my dinning room when set up as Ring Road did) 
  • Layout had to be built with exhibiting in mind, though not as its primary purpose

I also decided I wanted to try modelling something a bit different, so rather than 'trains running through urban scenery' as I've done before, it would be 'trains running through railway scenery' - sidings or a depot for example. Given that I now have a Pendolino to run, and a growing collection of On Track Plant vehicles, it made sense to look into a mainline running by an OTP/ Permanent Way depot.

Scouring Bing Maps (brilliant for inspiration, just pick a London terminus and follow the tracks - occupies you for hours...), I settled on Stafford as inspiration, with a bit of Rugby thrown in for good measure.

(Photos from Bing Maps)

post-6666-0-29585100-1362943012_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-51516200-1362943008_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-46710500-1362943005_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-40075600-1362943002_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-36393100-1362942998_thumb.jpg

The rough layout as it stands so far is as shown below - basically a 4 track mainline on the approach to a major station, with abandoned sidings to the bottom (in the foreground), and still used (though some very grassy) sidings at the top, with the tamper sidings and shed off to the right. In the middle will be a large signalling centre and other railway buildings as at Rugby.

post-6666-0-59066200-1362943024_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-02925500-1362943017_thumb.jpg

I wanted to make sure enough of the board space is scenic, as with both Ring Road and Cross Street, it was slightly frustrating lugging heavy boards about when more than half the space wasn't even being used for scenery. Hunters Lane will be 2x 4 feet six boards, at 2 feet 4 wide. I was trying to get a layout into 2 feet depth, but that quickly became 2 feet 2, then the 'oh what the hell' approach kicked in and I added another 2 inches, as it was compromising the design too much.

I will actually build the storage yard in two stages - a quick basic one, then the full yard if I decided to exhibit the layout. The track costs for the basic set up is about £280, but to build it with the full yard raises it to just under £500, so I won't pay out all that unless neccessary. I learned with Cross Street that actually I generally just sit and watch the same trains go round and round and round, then change them, and watch them go round and round again, so unless going to shows, such vast yards aren't actually needed. I am planning it in though, rather than give the space over to scenery, as I made that mistake with Ring Road - the yard wasn't really big enough to exhibit. As it stands, the full yard plan gives me 18 trains off-scene, with up to another 9 using the scenic sidings, so up to 27 movements should keep anyone at a show occupied for a long time!

That's about it for now, lots more updates as and when construction starts. Before then I need to complete my research to decide what buildings are going where, etc, but the main focus of this layout will be the railway scenery, so OHLE and signal gantries everywhere, points, sidings, weeds, noise, busyness and hopefully a great backdrop to the Pendolino racing through! I'm also going to try and showcase all the 'digital' modelling I've been learning over the past few years - so computer designed card building textures, 3D printed rolling stock, and 3D printed scenic items - cable troughs, OHLE equipment, signals, etc. The aim of this layout is for somewhere I can put a few new models in the sidings, set up some long freights and expresses to run past, and then sit back and watch it all happen.

David

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

A great concept and the reasoning behind it is flawless.

A couple of questions about the track plan:

1)  Apart from looking good, is there a reason for the crossovers between the main lines?  Will crossover movements be a part of the operational interest?

2)  I think the fan of sidings to the left looks good, but I note the shed in your photographs has only one road, whereas you have designed in two.  Is there a reason for this?  I only ask because looking at the plan, the hardstanding area around the shed could be interesting scenically with a smaller shed.

Either way, this is a great new thread and I am looking forward to following your progress!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Ben, the crossovers are only actually for scenic purposes, and won't be wired for operation, the idea is to imply there is a station just off scene, as with the area around Stafford, and an excuse for a maze of OHLE masts etc. I've not decided on the exact set up of the tamper sidings yet either, I do like the hard standing area too, but I'm looking at a few other slightly larger sheds, though that overal feel of Stafford with the hard standing and portacabins etc will he very much the aim.

Primary operation other than standard roundy roundy stuff will be maintenance trains coming in on the slow line, peeling off into the loop/headshunt, then reversing into the sidings and vice versa. I'm planning to wire the whole siding area so that it can also be operated independently - while all the trains are running past on the mainline, tampers can move in and out (vanishing into the dummy loop line and removed by hand etc), while a shunter can trundle up and down moving a few balast wagons about. I will be looking into Dapol's magnetic couplers for that.

David

• Like 1

You're onto your third layout (that I've followed) and I've not even finished one!

I would tend to agree with you about the backscene storage. I might add a couple more loops to my current design and have built provision for an extended yard, yet I expect a smaller yard will be fine for just "playing trains" at home. The savings could certainly be put to better use elsewhere on the layout!

Very excited to see this come together :D

Regards

Lee

With those points being 'scenic' and I can see the reason for it, all the action so to speak is on the inner rings - you've got 6 fiddle sidings plus the infrastructure sidings on one loop, 6 sidings for the second inner loop but then just three through sidings for the outer loop.  That outer fiddle yard is potentially 6 trains but that is only 3 per line - less than half the capacity of the other two lines so the variety in trains will be much less. 

Given it is modern image and you only have the one Pendo (at the moment, till you print another), would having a connection between the inner fiddle groups allow more flexibility - most passenger trains will be bi-directional so there wont be issues using trains in both directions and having to switch motive power.

• Like 1

With those points being 'scenic' and I can see the reason for it, all the action so to speak is on the inner rings - you've got 6 fiddle sidings plus the infrastructure sidings on one loop, 6 sidings for the second inner loop but then just three through sidings for the outer loop.  That outer fiddle yard is potentially 6 trains but that is only 3 per line - less than half the capacity of the other two lines so the variety in trains will be much less. 

Given it is modern image and you only have the one Pendo (at the moment, till you print another), would having a connection between the inner fiddle groups allow more flexibility - most passenger trains will be bi-directional so there wont be issues using trains in both directions and having to switch motive power.

Ah, theres a very good reason for that - the outer loops are the fast tracks, hence the bi directional storage. It allows me to run the Pendolino, voyagers and either the pretenolino set or a loco hauled mk3 rake in either direction, with all the storage as you say, on the inner loops which are the slow lines and so have emus, dmus ad plenty of freight

David

Well, knowing your remarkable progress rate David, we'll be seeing this essentially finished before September! :P

Looks like an excellent plan, and I definitely can't wait to see more.

Thanks for all the kind encouragement guys!

I'm planning the signalling layout at the moment, can someone check my first stab? I am sat with my ABC signalling manual and it's still far too confusing!

I'm assuming that there wouldn't be any signals in the sidings, just a ground signal where they meet the reception loop?

David

post-6666-0-55565000-1363032434_thumb.jpg

Not sure yet. Each layout I build I try to stretch myself with something - Cross street was my first stab at point motors for example. I may go for lights on this one, although I really do like the dummy signals on Cross Street as they were much finer than any lit versions. My stretch on Hunters Lane might be magnetic couplings for shunting in the yard, and also possibly some sort of control panel that can be either used front or back facing (for home use or exhibition).

David

• Like 1

Go for signals as well, adds another play factor to the layout, A couple on my layout are automated and i find it quite nice to watch the trains and signals looking after themselves.

What sort of couplings are you thinking about?

Graham.

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

I'm no expert but i would go with this, fewer signals.

attachicon.gifBMH trains signals.png

Cheers

Graham.

The connection to the yard would be via a shunt signal - 2 white lights, rather than a feather. There are a few more ground signals that could be provided depending on what moves you imagine the trains would make.

The main signals would be 4-aspect.

Personally I think it's a shame you don't make the connections work - and use them.

• Like 1