Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

I think the 64XX were introduced after the roundel came in so none would have Great Western on the tank sides, if you want to model them as built you will need to remove the top feed and bunker side steps...

I'm sure it's all been said several times already in this topic. 6400-9 were built in 1932. 6410-19 in late 1934 should have been the first with the shirtbutton. Steps and whistle shields started to appear with 6430 in 1937 and had been fitted to most earlier builds by the end of WW2. Topfeeds started to appear in about 1944.

Nic

• Like 1

My mistake regarding Great Western lettering should have checked before posting. But did any have British Railways on the tank sides?

Off topic but I don't like any of the later company liveries G crest W I can't stand, I prefer the roundel GWR on unlined locos I can just about tolerate, LMS passenger Black instead of red and Bulleid Green and sunshine lettering?

Oh well just waiting for my 64XX to turn up in the post.

David

Mine is on it's way, so now kind folks I need your help.

1) will it run on DC without having to remove the decoder?

2) what is the best way of removing the GWR so I can put a shirt button or GREAT WESTERN on it?

3) are there any parts of the bodyshell that would not have been there in the mid to late 1930s?

Thanks

Rich

Rich,

1. Yes, it's DCC ready - no decoder fitted (please read the leaflet inside!), so will run on DC no problem.  

2. Not sure, without it possibly leaving a 'shadow' of the GWR.

3. Certainly the top feed and associated pipework, bunker steps and associated handrails, which really makes it unsuitable for having 'Great Western' on the tank sides, but that's what I and probably several others will be doing. It would be a difficult job trying to remove them without leaving evidence, and then a repaint would be required to cover up the removed details...in which case 2 above won't be a problem! Now, if you choose to have a GWR roundel, you could have the cab steps, and possibly even the top feed. But you'd need to check out photos of specific locos though, as usual.    

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking at getting some etched plates for mine but can't see them on my first choice supplier Modelmaster.Am I missing them or is it a case of 247 at a show or the dearer Fox alternative.

• RMweb Premium

I know black early crest and GWR models are on sale now, but does anyone know when the lined late crest green livery model is due in the shops?

Thanks,

Paul

Listed as March/April on Bachmann's website.

IIRC MREmag reported that the late crest green versions were shipped from China after the others, but are on their way. So hopefully in the next shipment to arrive in the UK.

• Like 1

Has anyone had a BR black one yet? Hattons says that it's "on order" but the GWR green one is in stock. Has the latter arrived first?

Well the black early crest versions  are in stock at the Cheltenham model centre, had a look today, very nice, but saving my pennies for the late crest lined green version.

Edited by steveb860

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone had a BR black one yet? Hattons says that it's "on order" but the GWR green one is in stock. Has the latter arrived first?

Where does it say it is stock at Hattons? I checked and it is still showing as pre-order and my Pre-order from last March is still sitting awaiting fulfilment. 

Having been lucky enough to have a look at the finished loco, I'm pleased to say that all is well and the final test etch for my chassis kit is being prepared, should anyone wish to go down this particular route.

Although I tend to focus on the areas where the body meets the chassis, I couldn't help but note that the model is of a high standard with crisp detail and dimensional accuracy throughout - my etches were based on drawings of the real thing, with a bit of educated guesswork for things like footplate thickness, fixing points etc. and the two matched up perfectly. I'm fairly confident that 54 and 74xx versions will also be possible using this bodyshell.

More info on the High Level thread as things progress...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Heard this morning that mine is on its way to Canada from Liverpool.

Typically takes a couple of weeks..........would appreciate some feedback about running performance ..........its going to replace a Hornby 14xx that is hardwired to an Autocoach containing the decoder and stay alive capacitor ..........it would be nice if I could run it without all this..................in which case I need to order a 6 pin decoder

Regards from Vancouver

• RMweb Gold

They had 4 black ones (and an unknown number of GW ones - I didn't enquire) in Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh as of first thing this morning. By the time I relieved them of one at lunchtime, one other had already gone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They had 4 black ones (and an unknown number of GW ones - I didn't enquire) in Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh as of first thing this morning. By the time I relieved them of one at lunchtime, one other had already gone...

So much for waiting till mid summer Captain ! Resistance is futile.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting price comparison with the Bachmann 57xx I bought in 1993 for around £25 brand new . Today's 64xx purchase was for nearly £70.I wonder how that works out allowing for inflation.Very nice models, both of them over 20 years apart.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting price comparison with the Bachmann 57xx I bought in 1993 for around £25 brand new . Today's 64xx purchase was for nearly £70.I wonder how that works out allowing for inflation.Very nice models, both of them over 20 years apart.

According to the inflation counter on thisismoney.co.uk £25 in 1993 is equivalent to £45.16 today, so you woz robbed, Rob. Or you got a massive bargain in 1993 (70 today is the equivalent of £38.76 in 1993)