Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

Had an email back from Irwell Press saying there are no plans at the moment to do a reprint on Pannier Papers No. 7 featuring this class. I was wondering if anyone knows of a published photo of a 64xx in wartime black.

• RMweb Gold

Had an email back from Irwell Press saying there are no plans at the moment to do a reprint on Pannier Papers No. 7 featuring this class. I was wondering if anyone knows of a published photo of a 64xx in wartime black.

Check out Caerphilly Works' records if you can; locos repaired there from 1942-45 were painted in austerity black with the 'groteseque' G W R lettering.  

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

is anybody aware of shirtbutton or "Great Western" versions of the 64XX being announced. I would go for both of them...

Cheers

Mark

If they did, you would have to live with the topfeed which did not appear until after WWII.

MIke Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I wish manufacturers would not put top feeds on GW tank engines, or Dean Goods for that matter; they can easily be added if you need one and are hard to remove.  In this case it restricts the liveries in which the loco and correctly appear as well.  Or perhaps they could be 'pull off' items with blanking plugs for the holes.

Why can't we have them supplied as add-ons in the box, along with alternative number plates and perhaps a potted history giving prototype examples to follow?  Surely this would not increase the cost much.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

I wish manufacturers would not put top feeds on GW tank engines, or Dean Goods for that matter; they can easily be added if you need one and are hard to remove.  In this case it restricts the liveries in which the loco and correctly appear as well.  Or perhaps they could be 'pull off' items with blanking plugs for the holes.

Why can't we have them supplied as add-ons in the box, along with alternative number plates and perhaps a potted history giving prototype examples to follow?  Surely this would not increase the cost much.

I think we've already been over this subject on the 64xx. Like bunker steps on the Hattons 14xx. There are two versions of the Dean Goods, with and without top feed, and it does seem to be an 'add on' part, not part of the boiler moulding.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2018 at 16:40, gwrrob said:

Well they had no plans but lo and behold a year later they decided due to popular demand to do a reprint of No.7.:imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2018 at 15:40, Coppercap said:

I think we've already been over this subject on the 64xx. Like bunker steps on the Hattons 14xx. There are two versions of the Dean Goods, with and without top feed, and it does seem to be an 'add on' part, not part of the boiler moulding.

Yup, it was indeed discussed 6 years ago, a bit late to be bleating on about it now. The Hattons 48/58xx also comes with/without top feed.

21 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Yup, it was indeed discussed 6 years ago, a bit late to be bleating on about it now. The Hattons 48/58xx also comes with/without top feed.

I'm not "bleating on about it" or anything else for that matter. You're quoting me from a year ago anyway! Check your calendar...

Edited by Coppercap
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

I'm not "bleating on about it" or anything else for that matter. You're quoting me from a year ago anyway! Check your calendar...

I never said you were. If you read what I said properly, you'll see I was agreeing with you.

Edited by 57xx

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2018 at 23:14, The Johnster said:

Kudos to DJH in that case!

Sorry John, DJH? I think you're talking about DJM. Kudos to DJM, they did indeed make the natty little 48xx, sans top feed. It's just a pity that the poor running qualities let the side down. However... I still don't have a 64xx 'in stock' , purely because Bachmann have produced a nice little model, to which you must hack about to create an an approximation of the 'as was' model.  Double whammy, I think.....

No more from me, its covered a long time ago. The wallet remains shut, however.....

Have a great weekend, folks.

Ian.

• 3 years later...

So, 4 years on and still no Bachmann 64XX with shirtbutton logo.  Also would be nice, cab rear change or no, to have 74XX in GWR and BR early as built. Would be nice to have in RTR. And shirtbutton (with topfeed) is a simple livery change so why not Bachmann to freshen the product and provide options?

5 hours ago, Ian M. said:

And shirtbutton (with topfeed) is a simple livery change so why not Bachmann to freshen the product and provide options?

On the 64xxs, topfeed started to be fitted from 1943, by which time the shirtbutton had been superseded by G W R for repaints. It is possible that a topfeed boiler was fitted to a loco still with shirtbutton tanks, but that combination would have been very rare, so I can understand why Bachmann has never offered it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

6 hours ago, Ian M. said:

And shirtbutton (with topfeed) is a simple livery change so why not Bachmann to freshen the product and provide options?

Equally its not that difficult for anyone to relivery one themselves, or pay to have it done. There are only limited production slots and Bachmann obviously feel there are better selling alternatives.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I could say the hiatus is because theres loads of pannier tanks in the market and they all look the same…..

Retreats to hiding under a 🪨

As a GWR fan, I should feel offended but then I can't really dispute it 😁

• Funny 3

On 16/10/2023 at 11:08, Ian M. said:

So, 4 years on and still no Bachmann 64XX with shirtbutton logo.  Also would be nice, cab rear change or no, to have 74XX in GWR and BR early as built. Would be nice to have in RTR. And shirtbutton (with topfeed) is a simple livery change so why not Bachmann to freshen the product and provide options?

Well if Bachmann isn't coming to the party you can always do it yourself like I did.

https://flic.kr/p/JsG2BV

Edited by David Stannard
  • Like 3