Ben Alder

Ben Alder's workbench

Cowboys eh...... I was more of a nights of the round table boy myself but who didn't love a Brittains figure when they were kids.

Be proud of your locos Richard I bet there'll hold there own against the new one which knowing modern RTR locos will be too delicut and fiddly.

Any way its going to be at least two years off yet before it gets in the shops.

• Like 1

I've been admiring this thread for some time...

The announcement of an RTR CR Loco to modern standards is making me begin considering dabbling in some Scottish Modelling...

My next layout will have to be more generic than I planned!

Your model of the shed just exhudes atmosphere, Richard. The interior is wonderfully atmospheric and the little external details like the pile of spare blocks and the Limited Clearance sign all combine to create something that’s pretty sublime in my opinion.

I always enjoy catching up with your wonderful work, pal. :-)

Dave.

• Like 1

Superb modelling and photos - lovely to behold!

On the internal roof trusses, would the struts and bits from a wind blown, life expired umbrella be any good?

John Storey

Thanks - living in Caithness means umbrellas tend to have a very short life, so plenty of donors around...

An idea of the construction can be seen here  - https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36759963914/in/album-72157687405662664/ -there are another one or two images that pick it out, and Aviemore shed has much the same set up, so I've plenty to work from. Since posting the write up and looking at the images it has been nagging away that I should do something about it, and it has joined the never ending list of projects  to be mulled over and thought about. Once a jig is prepared it shouldn't be too big a job......

• Like 1

Ben Alder,

I am actually blown away by all the Scottish locomotives that you have modelled, especially the Small Ben's, and to think it is achievable from a Hornby T9.

I am biased towards the West Highland Line, but think I will be modelling part of the route that was proposed through the Great Glen, which means I can have engines that ran over the West Highland Line, and those that were based around Inverness, so I think I will be having ago at a Small Ben.

What I would like to ask is can a RTR model be converted into a personal favourite engine of mine, the Pickersgill 72 or 113 4-4-0 locomotive? If so, have you made one and can you advise me how to create one?

The other one I have a personal interest for is the Caledonian Class 60, which I think can be knocked together with the following parts:

- chassis from GWR Hall 4-6-0

- boiler from a B12

- 6 wheel tender from T9

Would you say this is feasible?

I look forward to hearing from yourself (and others) who have shown such epic modelling skills.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks - it was all done out of necessity! The Pickersgill 72 is I suspect, a difficult one from a RTR  start but the T9 chassis is an almost exact match. I have built four of them, from Nucast kits, and that is the best way forward. They do pop up on ebay from time to time, but if you ask Dave at SEF he might run one off for you, or the body parts anyway. I talked to him recently about the viability of returning it to the range, but both of us were of the consensus that sales were likely to be small, more so now that the  complete lack of ScR RTR  has been broken and one of these locos alongside the 0-6-0 and rumoured 0-4-4T would make modelling a good part of both the CR and HR over the decades a possibility. Mind you I've been waiting for this to happen since the seventies.... :scratchhead:

Apart from those locos that made it to the Highland I know very little on matters Caley so can't help you much on the 60 -it is an attractive engine though - but Londontram of this parish should be able to advise you more on it. Kingfisher24 is another arch converter - it was he who started me off on the Ben saga - although his interests lean to the NB but he may well know more about this class than I do. I still have one or two more ideas floating around myself, but am taking a break from locos just now to catch up on other modelling matters.

Ben Alder,

I am actually blown away by all the Scottish locomotives that you have modelled, especially the Small Ben's, and to think it is achievable from a Hornby T9.

I am biased towards the West Highland Line, but think I will be modelling part of the route that was proposed through the Great Glen, which means I can have engines that ran over the West Highland Line, and those that were based around Inverness, so I think I will be having ago at a Small Ben.

What I would like to ask is can a RTR model be converted into a personal favourite engine of mine, the Pickersgill 72 or 113 4-4-0 locomotive? If so, have you made one and can you advise me how to create one?

The other one I have a personal interest for is the Caledonian Class 60, which I think can be knocked together with the following parts:

- boiler from a B12

- 6 wheel tender from T9

I look forward to hearing from yourself (and others) who have shown such epic modelling skills.

Regards,

Mark

To do a pickersgill 113 you cam use the Hornby t9 as a starting point, the loco running plate and splashers can be retained, it wiuod be best to use a t9 with an 8 wheel tender as the body of the larger tender is closer to the caley than the 6 wheel version. The only problem is weight, the t9 boiler is cast and if you remove this and replace it with a b12 boiler then you will have to find space for a fair amount of weight. I am planning to have a go at one shortly and I’ll post my progress. Ive a j37 conversion to complete before this.

Gary

• Like 3

Ben Alder,

- boiler from a B12

- 6 wheel tender from T9

Regards,

Mark

To do a pickersgill 113 you cam use the Hornby t9 as a starting point, the loco running plate and splashers can be retained, it wiuod be best to use a t9 with an 8 wheel tender as the body of the larger tender is closer to the caley than the 6 wheel version. The only problem is weight

To do a pickersgill 113 you cam use the Hornby t9 as a starting point, the loco running plate and splashers can be retained, it wiuod be best to use a t9 with an 8 wheel tender as the body of the larger tender is closer to the caley than the 6 wheel version. The only problem is weight, the t9 boiler is cast and if you remove this and replace it with a b12 boiler then you will have to find space for a fair amount of weight. I am planning to have a go at one shortly and I’ll post my progress. Ive a j37 conversion to complete before this.

Gary

Thanks for the reply regarding this post. I look forward to seeing your Class 60. I may hold off to see how the masters do it.

Mark

Report of a quick update to Bachmann's over stretched  BR cattle wagon, copied from an article in Scalefour news, where the ends were sawn off and a bit removed from both sides. It does work, with not a lot of  effort although the strapping is now a bit off, but probably passable for a layout wagon. Here it is, in the middle, with an ancient Airfix one on the left in for a doors upgrade and the original Bachmann on the right - the failings of this one are plainly seen when the two are side by side...I have about six Bachmann ones and am in two minds whether to carry on and convert them  or not. I think I might give the shortie some time on the layout and see if the offset stanchions bother me...Still a bit of finishing to do on it.

post-2642-0-66361000-1542061500_thumb.jpg

I have also got distracted by a long overdue look at my brake vans - some are original BR Mainline, with again a too long cabin,and the LMS ones tended to be in original as out of the box finish, so a start has been made on an improvement. More on this as it is done. These both have been a change from my plowterings of the last months, which have concentrated on the terminus station, and are now more or less finished, just waiting photography, and a small dose of wagon therapy was a nice change. Pic as of tonight from the bench - those flimsy  plastic handrails are fun... :O

post-2642-0-08090200-1542061518.jpg

• Like 15

A quick question, if I may -

I'm attempting to remove the boiler and cab from a Hornby T9 body but can't see where the joins between the different bits are! Can anyone tell me where the different bits join together and how best to remove them?

Well I eventually pulled bits of it off, with some success, and it's now having an appointment with a dremel and an M7 to make an LSWR A12!

Thank you both!

Interesting loco and as it states on google one of only a few railway companies to adopt that wheel arangement.

Of interest one on my long term to do list is a Caledonian 670 class 0-4-2 Which was the forerunner to the famous Jumbo class and is the same wheel arangement.

post-17847-0-36901600-1546614897.jpeg

• Like 4

Well I eventually pulled bits of it off, with some success, and it's now having an appointment with a dremel and an M7 to make an LSWR A12!

Thank you both!

Just took a look at your workbench thread and see a kindred spirit! I'll follow your conversions with interest.

I have been beavering away for months now on my accumulated gathering in of Jidenco locos I will never get around to building myself, and as part of that the Dornoch tanks got some attention. Readers may be aware of my first buy, an EM gauge model buy with the chassis built like a tank and stuffed full of lead. I tried and failed to get enough of this removed to give me chassis options but in the end made a cosmetic one and posed it as the lined 55053. Another loco was bought, which had serious problems, including a hash up of the smoke box saddle and what turned out to be three insulated drivers, explaining its rather pathetic attempts at movement. The matter rested until recently, when a lucky almost bargain buy of a third changed the dynamics of the situation. It's body was better assembled in its basics but needed a lot of resoldering to the footplate, and the usual strip off of the enamel gloop that was the norm back then. As with most of my mercenary fleet, it had never run much, if at all, but had a passable motor,at least for the time being, and with some swapping around of drivers from the three, the  chassis was given to the lined tank, and boldened by the fact I had now a spare body, managed to remove enough lead to accommodate the motor. My experiences with brass sheet  have been minimal and I know I should have persevered, but inducing irremovable kinks far too  easily put me off this medium generally. The modelling path I follow demands more input than is the norm nowadays, I suspect, and there is a limit on how much starting from scratch  one can  do.

Anyway, the two chassis were Bulleid in to shape - pickups fitted to the bogies and  a High level gearbox and Mashima motor added to the one with what was  K's motor, and the usual sloppy swinging arm pivot replaced with a centre version. I didn't take enough photos as I meant to, but I have been working on locos for months now and jumped between jobs so was a bit lax about recording things. Here are what I did do; not very instructive but anyone who does this sort of thing has no doubt learned the hard way how to go about such matters.

IMG_1348.JPG.bd0e30e67b4e7e3afa089261f5cac944.JPG

The norm for these sorts of things - doing nothing except being a problem.. I didn't record the answer but its a centre screw with a slotted hole and a spring. Getting things balanced is trial and error  and time.

IMG_1361.JPG.3ca03a760762bb3a009aac8137c82c57.JPG

The chassis I fitted into the lined tank - the pickup arrangement meant it rides slightly high but I will live with that as it works. This was the chassis from the second loco, with the three insulated drivers and it wasn't until I took the batch to the bench I realised  why it wasn't  managing.

IMG_1362.JPG.c58b855f02bb02ca30aadd6a7ad70ed8.JPG

The last chassis, with its HL box - the wiring was tidied up after everything was hunky dory. it is low geared and the flywheel keeps it going over any sticky bits. The body for this one came unweighted and I added just enough to give it traction. The heavier lined one is a slogger with its faster motor and weight but this one is a yard pilot,  capable of a coach or a few wagons at a far more sedate pace..

And the pair almost in the finishing shops....

Finally, a couple of far too cruel close ups of them on shed at Helmsdale....

IMG_0798.JPG.860b760a272a99b6b6bb3dc25a7ee607.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG.70aecec5d00b7c972c22e5933b09a250.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG.996ca5779a1d7ec9715c4b2615d43af5.JPGIMG_1358.JPG.996ca5779a1d7ec9715c4b2615d43af5.JPGIMG_1358.JPG.996ca5779a1d7ec9715c4b2615d43af5.JPG

Edited by Ben Alder
Idiocy.
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

What happened there has baffled me, like much of this latest incarnation.. tried to edit the post to include the last photo but managed to triplicate it...it's the two almost finished, much as I am of here...

Please don't give up on this site Ben.

We, or I certainly, need and appreciate your work. As you suggest, it does represent an approach to modelling which is less common nowadays but for people like myself modelling Irish railways, it is often the only route to achieving objectives.

Kind regards,

Glover

• Agree 9

Just about have, I'm afraid. Really don't like the set up, with its slowness, cluttered face with side bars that can't be minimised as on the old forum, and keeping have to click  to open up extra content. No other railway forum I visit behaves like this one and I can't be bothered with it all. Never say never, but for the now I'm reviving  a dormant Western Thunder account, so you might be better looking for updates there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3