Seccotine - available again

Guest Jim Read

Nah, that's not REAL Seccotine.  It should be in a leaky wrinkled tube with a pin in the end.

Never realised it was fish glue.  No wonder it has such a 'unique' odour.

Refined liquid fish glue for use in gilding and as a binder in gesso. Remains flexible after drying.

I read this as "for use in gliding"- and was thinking blimey I never knew it was that strong. What on earth is gesso though- something to do with bookbinding?

My memories are definitely wrinkled tube and usually with no pin and dried glue all over the worktable. I'm sure I used it to make Superquick and Bilteezi buildings just like everyone elses. I wonder who uses unrefined fish glue?

Refined liquid fish glue for use in gilding and as a binder in gesso. Remains flexible after drying.

I read this as "for use in gliding"- and was thinking blimey I never knew it was that strong. What on earth is gesso though- something to do with bookbinding?

OED: Gesso - "A prepared surface of plaster as a ground for painting."

I suppose this could be applicable for a scenic modelling base in a transportable layout?

Gordon

Gesso can be, for instance, the slightly raised decorative surface on enamelled oriental antique furniture, finely applied like a plaster to the base surface and then carved, moulded etc. to shape prior to painting and/or gilding.

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I use Seccotine to make rivets blobbed on with a pin;
14o4vw2.jpg

There is another hide glue that Titebond make but it goes off quite quickly, the Seccotine I have is about 25 years old.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Well if I've used 20% of a 2cl tube since 1988 then 75cl would last .......... errrr quite a long time :-)

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Tony,

That's a really good price and what an interesting site that lady's got I'll buy some from her thanks a million for the link. I used to use it for gluing wagons and vans together and liked it because it sets slowly as well as makes nice rivet heads.

And it lasts here's one I made earlier in 1986;

2uxzq06.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello AT,

I believe that Stephens who made the glue years ago stole the recipe from Stradivarius! Though everyone calls it a Fish glue it isn't its made from animal hides.

Jim

Archived