Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

Like I said earlier............no class 66 to keep things in order. Terrible thing that "old railway" with its tidiness, vast amount of traffic and variety, isn't it good that we threw it all away?

Modellers of the steam age should take due note of the appalling state of the lineside - no undergrowth or overhanging trees in sight, clean cess paths; what was the railway up to back then?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Modellers of the steam age should take due note of the appalling state of the lineside - no undergrowth or overhanging trees in sight, clean cess paths; what was the railway up to back then?

Don't go too OTT!! I am sure I saw a bit of litter in one of the photos!

You make a very good point there. How many modellers have the discipline to model "neat and tidy"? 

The other thing that stands out for me is the variation in the tones of the ballast, where sections have been attended to by the

P. Way people. Many model layouts seem to have the track all the same colour and it just wasn't very often like that. There just isn't one "track colour".

• Like 2

Don't go too OTT!! I am sure I saw a bit of litter in one of the photos!

You make a very good point there. How many modellers have the discipline to model "neat and tidy"? 

The other thing that stands out for me is the variation in the tones of the ballast, where sections have been attended to by the

P. Way people. Many model layouts seem to have the track all the same colour and it just wasn't very often like that. There just isn't one "track colour".

Good running and drainage was labour intensive and 'neat & tidy' was taken for granted at one time when track gangs took pride in their particular patches. There was even an award for the 'Prize Length' in some parts of the country. I have seen whole lengths of track in one lovely rusty brown colour, not just in the 1950s but in the 1970s too, but as you say, there were areas where it just wasnt like that. Things seemed to be a lot more stable in the old days when ballast remained pretty well untouched when new bullhead rail replaced worn rails. The big upheaval came when flat bottom track arrived. Now of course it is usually long-welded stuff. The very nature of steam locos gave ballast an overall rusty quite quickly on busy lines. I'm far from being an expert on track matters and merely go off photos of the period I am modelling.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon we will stay at Normanton on Soar for a short while and then move closer to Nottingham.   Once again all the photos were taken on Midland lines.

post-5613-0-31920600-1366036341_thumb.jpg

Normanton on Soar 8F 48148 down goods c1952 JVol2217

post-5613-0-53730100-1366036356_thumb.jpg

Sneinton Junction Ivatt 4MT 43040 up goods c1952 JVol2218

post-5613-0-78948800-1366036348_thumb.jpg

Normanton on Soar Jubilee 45589 Gwalior down goods c1952 JVol2219

post-5613-0-34557300-1366036345_thumb.jpg

Normanton on Soar 8F down goods c1952 JVol2220

post-5613-0-10122600-1366036337_thumb.jpg

Normanton on Soar 4F down goods c1952 JVol2221.

post-5613-0-00052800-1366036353_thumb.jpg

Nottingham London Road Junction Jubilee 45622 Nyasaland up ex pass c1952 JVol2222

post-5613-0-77257100-1366036364_thumb.jpg

Trowell Junction Jubilee up ex pass c1952 JVol2223

post-5613-0-84086300-1366036360_thumb.jpg

Trowell Junction Class 5 44346 down ex pass c1952 JVol2224

Edited to correct loco number.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

Those shots of mineral trains have a much higher proportion of 16t steel minerals than I'd have expected during the period. The second 8F looks as though it's had the smokebox repainted to cover some burnt bits; shame they didn't clean the rest of it!

Nice to see these photos, even if they predate me by some years..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see Compound 1168 in unlined livery. Who would have thought then that it would be the last one to be officially withdrawn although it had been in store at Monument Lane.

Are you sure it is unlined?

It is so filthy that there could be anything under that crud.

If you blow the picture up you can see that the "British Railways" has been cleaned at some time but is still disappearing under the grime!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you blow the picture up you can see that the "British Railways" has been cleaned at some time but is still disappearing under the grime!

Keith

Looks like they just cleaned enough to paint British Railways on it. There's probably the M of LMS still there under the crud in the middle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Keith

Looking through the photos of dad's there are quite a lot where engines carrying "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in full appear to be unlined, even of classes which later carried the red and cream lining.  I suspect that as many locos by the end of the war were plain black that early repaints just covered over the company initials and replaced them with the full lettering.  At the time the railways still had a massive backlog of overhauls so an engine would not have been kept out of traffic for any longer than strictly necessary.  Sadly there don't seem to be  uge numbers of photos published of these very interesting years.

Edited to ad a missing word

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This evening we are visiting a number of locations in and around Nottingham.  I've had to think hard to work out where some of them were taken.

post-5613-0-05406900-1366050171_thumb.jpg

Radford Nottingham goods yard in snow c1952 JVol2225

post-5613-0-89277600-1366050174_thumb.jpg

Rolleston Junction Compound and 2P 40535 pass Nottingham to Lincoln c1952 JVol2226

post-5613-0-31713200-1366050183_thumb.jpg

Wollaton Jubilee 45659 Drake down ex pass c1952 JVol2227

post-5613-0-70493000-1366050157_thumb.jpg

Linby LTSR 4-4-2T pass Nottingham to Worksop c1952 JVol2228

post-5613-0-28340200-1366050153_thumb.jpg

Ilkeston Junction MR seen from Bennerley Viaduct GN view north c1950 JVol2229

post-5613-0-21556600-1366050166_thumb.jpg

Radford Junction track relaying c1951 JVol2230

post-5613-0-44654600-1366050178_thumb.jpg

Trowell Junction Jubilee up ex pass c1952 JVol2232

post-5613-0-50901100-1366050161_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Midland Jubilee 45614 Leeward Islands down ex pass c1950 Note smokebox number plate JVol2233

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

What's that wagon behind the loco. in no. 2232?

I think they are milk tankers.  I think the same train appears in Image 2223 a few posts back where they can be seem more clearly.

David

• RMweb Gold

In 2225, the second wagon from the right looks like a 10T LSWR van.  Possibly either SR diag 1408 or 1409.  I cannot make our whether it has a wooden or steel underframe, which would decide the case.  They built 1000 of the two types and most survived into nationalisation.  Photos of LSWR goods stock turn up in most unexpected places!  :)

I've had a look at both the original print and my high res scan.  On the print I cannot really see much, the scan appears sharper.  The tare appears to be 6-1? - ? as I cannot read the last figure.

I can't quite make out the wagon number.  There doesn't appear to be any sort of flange at the bottom of the solebar which I presume would be the case if it were steel, but again cannot be certain.

The print is on a lustre paper which doesn't give quite as sharp an image as gloss.

David

• RMweb Premium

Looking through the photos of dad's there are quite a lot where engines carrying "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in full appear to be unlined, even of classes which later carried the red and cream lining.  I suspect that as many locos by the end of the war were plain black that early repaints just covered over the company initials and replaced them with the full lettering.  At the time the railways still had a massive backlog of overhauls so an engine would not have been kept out of traffic for any longer than strictly necessary.  Sadly there don't seem to be  uge numbers of photos published of these very interesting years.

Edited to ad a missing word

David

I commented because of the latish date (1954) of that photo and wondered if had had an early "British Railways" era repaint then not cleaned since!

I have a picture in a book of 41103 which had an early repaint into "British Railways" style and is fully lined, although a little dirty in 1950.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I commented because of the latish date (1954) of that photo and wondered if had had an early "British Railways" era repaint then not cleaned since!

I have a picture in a book of 41103 which had an early repaint into "British Railways" style and is fully lined, although a little dirty in 1950.

Keith

As you will have noticed the dates are all around the year I type, they could be a year or so either way as only some black and white photos are dated, I get most of the dates either from family photos taken on some of his trips, from other evidence in the photos or from Mum who at 88 still has an excellent memory.

David

This afternoon's batch of photos.  Once again they are a mixed batch of locations in and around Nottingham on the Midland Railway  - except the Calverton Colliery line which was opened in BR days and the breakdown train which I think is at Colwick.

attachicon.gifColwick perhaps breakdown train c1949 JVol2245.jpg

Colwick (probably) breakdown train c1949 JVol2245

David

Hi Dave,

That breakdown train might be at Grantham. The shed building behind don't half look like the old shed at Grantham, which was still in existence at that time (great modelling wall detail for me if it is). There was an isolated siding on this side of the building; that would make the sidings in front of it those of the down goods loops. If this photo was taken from the station platform (platform 5) then the orientation of the buildings would 'fit', including the coaling tower beyond. Also, I suspect that a principal depot like Colwick would have somewhat more capable breakdown/recovery equipment than this rather ramshackle collection (even in 1949)! Despite its rather grand allocation, Grantham was only ever a district sub-shed.

Keep 'em coming; the photos just seem to be getting better and better.

• Like 1