Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

• RMweb Premium

6113 - when Grantham was 'interesting'.....

6114 is interesting in that the train has arrived at what is the up platform, presumably because it will return to London after a short while? (The loco having gone on shed no doubt)

6115 is that the north end?

Such superb detail in these pictures; I especially like the Nott'm Victoria shots. Modeller's heaven.

I wonder if anyone has modelled Victoria; or will after seeing these?

I certainly would be thinking about doing something with Bulwell or Basford if I had time and lots of money.

P

• Like 1

It certainly is Trowell Moor David. The B6004 overbridge is behind us (now A6002) and the bridge in the foreground carried the line over the Nottingham Canal. We're at the summit of the line as it has climed out of the Leen Valley and will now drop down to the River Erewash. We're looking ENE in this view.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hardly any change over the years ..

(The station site is in the distance, it's not covered by the camera I'm afraid)

http://goo.gl/maps/bVVuU

Here's the aerial view

http://goo.gl/maps/U1a2f

Many thanks for these links, though I don't really remember it from when Dad took the photos, even though I was there on the day.  Earlier in this thread there is a photo of the same train from a different angle with me watching it.

David

I think JVol6123 maybe on the GN line at Linby, rather than the GC.

ROB

You are right, I should have known that.  I had forgotten the Dido used the Gc and GN lines at different times of day.

The Annesley Fireman site has a good bit on the Dido, including a 1953 WTT, link below.

http://www.annesleyfireman.com/id8.html

6113 - when Grantham was 'interesting'.....

6114 is interesting in that the train has arrived at what is the up platform, presumably because it will return to London after a short while? (The loco having gone on shed no doubt)

6115 is that the north end?

Such superb detail in these pictures; I especially like the Nott'm Victoria shots. Modeller's heaven.

I wonder if anyone has modelled Victoria; or will after seeing these?

I certainly would be thinking about doing something with Bulwell or Basford if I had time and lots of money.

P

I think that some down trains did terminate in the "up" platform at York, in those days there were fewer trains so at some times of day it would not cause a problem.  It would mean a much easier and quicker exit for the passengers.

6115 and 6116 are at the north end of York, the locos have just gone over the crossover to allow trains from the west side of the station to access the line to Scarborough.

David

• RMweb Gold

It certainly is Trowell Moor David. The B6004 overbridge is behind us (now A6002) and the bridge in the foreground carried the line over the Nottingham Canal. We're at the summit of the line as it has climed out of the Leen Valley and will now drop down to the River Erewash. We're looking ENE in this view.

Many thanks Peter, once again it's a long time ago - I've not lived in Nottingham since 1965 so have forgotten a lot of locations I knew when I was young and went out with Dad, though as he was trackside I would not have been with him at Trowell moor, I was only 2 years old!

HI

Any one notice the signal post in; Trowell Moor sidings May 52 JVol6137

Painted Black and white?.

Darren01

I don't know the reason but the LMS painted distant signals with black and white horizontal striped posts.  Apparently the LMS called them "isolated distant signals".  It has been said it was to help drivers know where they were.  Many were not in isolated places.  I remember seeing them in the late 60s on the Settle and Carlisle.  I've no idea if there was any other reason why they did it.

David

JVol7007. Ahh, good old 8666; now there was an engine which went down fighting! 2nd August 1968, sat down between the rails at Rose Grove shed, blocking the entrance roads. You have to admire that sort of fighting spirit!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't know the reason but the LMS painted distant signals with black and white horizontal striped posts.  Apparently the LMS called them "isolated distant signals".  It has been said it was to help drivers know where they were.  Many were not in isolated places.  I remember seeing them in the late 60s on the Settle and Carlisle.  I've no idea if there was any other reason why they did it.

The signal in the photo is referred to as an isolated striped post distant. 

The striped post was to improve the visibility of these important signals. The term isolated refers to the signal only carrying a distant arm, i.e it does not have a stop arm above it (this would be a combined signal).

The GC and the MR could feel as if they were thousands of miles apart. An excellent collection above David.

Going back to Trowell Moor, David's view was of the early 1950s, this is from the mid 1980s. I wonder if someone has a view taken today?

No photo but a view I see regularly while eating my breakfast! Then out to face the passengers before Alfreton.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just look at the gleam of the paintwork on the B1 in JVol7022.

A litle water marking on the boiler but otherwise very shiny. (and No oil lamps present!)

Keith

PS Any Irish railway pictures?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just look at the gleam of the paintwork on the B1 in JVol7022.

A litle water marking on the boiler but otherwise very shiny. (and No oil lamps present!)

Keith

PS Any Irish railway pictures?

Sorry, no Irish ones at all.  Dad's only visit to Ireland was for a family wedding in 1954, we went there by plane from Manchester (in a Dakota), stayed a night and then straight back!

David

Great pictures once again, these pictures are mainly fairly local to me so it's a bit of history trip for me! I also like looking at the pictures and thinking "I could re-create that train with this and this!"

Edited by hornbyandbf3fan
  • Like 1

More nice pictures again David.  Thanks for posting.  One small correction for you. Photo vol7037 is a Fowler 3P 2-6-2T.  The Fowler 4P 2-6-4T did not have the two coal rails around the bunker.

Cheers....Morgan

Edited by mlgilbert30

• RMweb Gold

More nice pictures again David.  Thanks for posting.  One small correction for you. Photo vol7037 is a Fowler 3P 2-6-2T.  The Fowler 4P 2-6-4T did not have the two coal rails around the bunker.

Cheers....Morgan

I ought to know that - I have a Hornby Fowler 4MTT 2-6-4T on a shelf in my "office", I see it everyday....

David

Very impressed with the photographs of Nottingham Victoria-I only saw it after closure, just before demolition.  I am sure that the wrong station was closed.  Surmising that redundant lines were removed, and everything else diverted into Victoria, surely this would have been a more practical solution than developing Midland station-especially as the Victoria lines were segregated, and Victoria was orientated North/South?

What revived my thinking on this was the tram system requirement for a new bridge over the Midland station-after the GCR one was demolished.

• Like 1

Very impressed with the photographs of Nottingham Victoria-I only saw it after closure, just before demolition.  I am sure that the wrong station was closed.  Surmising that redundant lines were removed, and everything else diverted into Victoria, surely this would have been a more practical solution than developing Midland station-especially as the Victoria lines were segregated, and Victoria was orientated North/South?

What revived my thinking on this was the tram system requirement for a new bridge over the Midland station-after the GCR one was demolished.

I have often considered this as well but the problem would be the lack of connections from the GC to other lines. You could get to Derby Friargate and Lincoln would be accessible by putting in the 'reverse'  of the connection that was actually installed at Netherfield from the GN  to the MR but other places would be very difficult to reach.

If you accept the premise that one station had to close (which I don't, by the way) I think it is quite difficult to make a case for that station being Midland.

ROB

For the Ivatt tank at Victoria on a Tonbridge train above I wonder again about the headcode, which as it stands seems to be incorrect.  Adding another disc to the left side of the smokebox door would make it a Victoria-Oxted-Hever-Tunbridge Wells West service which would make sense, and which could well have continued through to Tonbridge.  The Maunsell Restriction 1 coach set 185 (BTK-TK-CK-BTK) would be most used on the Central Section and could get through the tunnel between Tunbridge Wells West and Central (Restriction 1 - 8ft 6in wide, but not as narrow as the Restriction 0 8ft 0in coaches for the Hastings line).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For the Ivatt tank at Victoria on a Tonbridge train above I wonder again about the headcode, which as it stands seems to be incorrect.  Adding another disc to the left side of the smokebox door would make it a Victoria-Oxted-Hever-Tunbridge Wells West service which would make sense, and which could well have continued through to Tonbridge.  The Maunsell Restriction 1 coach set 185 (BTK-TK-CK-BTK) would be most used on the Central Section and could get through the tunnel between Tunbridge Wells West and Central (Restriction 1 - 8ft 6in wide, but not as narrow as the Restriction 0 8ft 0in coaches for the Hastings line).

Your post made me look again at this pic - and of course it's in Vic Eastern, not Central! Could it have been ECS to Holborn?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Your post made me look again at this pic - and of course it's in Vic Eastern, not Central! Could it have been ECS to Holborn?

I just wish I knew whether Dad had taken the details from station announcements, departures board or just what he thought at the time.  Sadly we'll never know.  According to my trusty Ian Allan Combined volumes for 1948 and 1955 it should be a Victoria to Holborn working.  When writing the captions I've generally gone along with Dad's notes as he may have known something on the day we don't know now - but I also know he wasn't always right!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just wish I knew whether Dad had taken the details from station announcements, departures board or just what he thought at the time.  Sadly we'll never know.  According to my trusty Ian Allan Combined volumes for 1948 and 1955 it should be a Victoria to Holborn working.  When writing the captions I've generally gone along with Dad's notes as he may have known something on the day we don't know now - but I also know he wasn't always right!

David

What you are posting is seen by many as the purest gold. If the captions aren't always quite right, then it enables some of us to get the grey matter going a bit. We owe you!

• Like 2