Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

• RMweb Gold

Boy I do miss the updates Dave :cry:

There will be more photos in due course.  I've "only" got to scan some of my black and white negs and I am sorting out colour ones of various periods for later in the summer.

At the moment I'm getting a bit of modelling done for a change!

David

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

All those lovely power signals and then there appears to be a mechanical disc right in the middle. That'll keep me busy for a while finding out what that is.... Super photo's!

The best i can come up with for the spurious disc signal is a limit of shunt board but on this diagram it is not in the location in the picture. Curious.

post-4034-0-77044200-1376160584_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent photos.  A  real gem for anybody modelling that area.  We were all guilty of filling our photos with locos and ignoring the infrastructure as we thought it would be around for ever.  I am putting out an appeal for anybody having photos of Shrewsbury - early 1960's showing the station platform buildings without being blotted out by rolling stock.  I am also trying to establish when the central signal box at the end of bays 5 and 6 was demolished.  It was taken out of commission in February 1961, but had it been removed by the Summer of 1962? (which is when my model of the station is based on).  A second request for any photos of the goods platform, originally used as a cattle dock, adjacent to Howard Street.  There is a large pipe scales about 6" diameter running along the girder over the entrance to the Shropshire Union Yard, and then, I assume, running into some sort of machine housing on the goods platform, but this is only my guess.  Hence, I would be verry grateful for any photo evidence. 

Ray

• Like 1

On 08/01/2014 at 17:27, BRIDGEMAN said:

Excellent photos.  A  real gem for anybody modelling that area.  We were all guilty of filling our photos with locos and ignoring the infrastructure as we thought it would be around for ever.  I am putting out an appeal for anybody having photos of Shrewsbury - early 1960's showing the station platform buildings without being blotted out by rolling stock.  I am also trying to establish when the central signal box at the end of bays 5 and 6 was demolished.  It was taken out of commission in February 1961, but had it been removed by the Summer of 1962? (which is when my model of the station is based on).  A second request for any photos of the goods platform, originally used as a cattle dock, adjacent to Howard Street.  There is a large pipe scales about 6" diameter running along the girder over the entrance to the Shropshire Union Yard, and then, I assume, running into some sort of machine housing on the goods platform, but this is only my guess.  Hence, I would be verry grateful for any photo evidence. 

Ray

Ray

Are you asking for these photos on sites where more old duffers are hanging out - such as the company related Yahoo groups and HMRS. I am saying this because you need to be a good age to have been photographing prior to 1961 - even a kid would be in their late 60s now, but cameras, film etc. were all very expensive so it was an adults hobby. I don't get the impression that RMWeb is the preserve of many elderly railway photographers. :no:

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul

Ray

I presume that you have the Shrewsbury volume in the Marsden Rail video series? It has some footage from the early 60s and can be stepped through frame by frame on modern dvd players these days.

• 9 months later...

Re diesel loco at Nottingham Ordnance depot glimpsed through a gate.

I have been looking for a photo of this loco all evening. It is most probably,  as stated, a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0 Diesel Mechanical of 1942 named Daisy, D622. I can get a drawing of this loco from the HC archive at Statfold Barn. It looks to be very similar to Mary, HC D577 which is preserved on the Middleton Railway.

Mary is the one I really wanted a drawing of, but that has seemingly been lost and Daisy may be the closest.

Even the most hazy image can be useful to somebody, thanks.

Colombo

Edited by Colombo

• 3 months later...

This evening we are in and around Nottingham visiting Midland, Great Central and Great Northern lines.

We are now in Volume 9, the last album of dad's photos.  It's a continuation of his favourite photos and is quite small collection.

attachicon.gifBagthorpe Junction O1 63872 up goods Jan 54 JVol7001.jpg

Bagthorpe Junction O1 63872 up goods Jan 54 JVol7001

********************************************************************************

The house to the right of the loco always catches my eye as it purposely has corner windows on the first floor - the left hand one providing an extensive view of the Great Central.

The house still exists. The view from the window, not so much.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.982328,-1.166896,3a,75y,333.77h,105.72t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skzlrtQzbqIfqWtu0bgjSWg!2e0

• RMweb Premium

This evening we are in and around Nottingham visiting Midland, Great Central and Great Northern lines.

We are now in Volume 9, the last album of dad's photos.  It's a continuation of his favourite photos and is quite small collection.

attachicon.gifBagthorpe Junction O1 63872 up goods Jan 54 JVol7001.jpg

Bagthorpe Junction O1 63872 up goods Jan 54 JVol7001

********************************************************************************

The house to the right of the loco always catches my eye as it purposely has corner windows on the first floor - the left hand one providing an extensive view of the Great Central.

The house still exists. The view from the window, not so much.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.982328,-1.166896,3a,75y,333.77h,105.72t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skzlrtQzbqIfqWtu0bgjSWg!2e0

The houses on the adjacent Wynndale Drive have much longer gardens these days. I hope that the infill was well compacted!

Personally I would prefer a shorter garden and the GC at the end of it :yes:

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have only just discovered this thread. Just Brilliant. Thank you very much indeed for posting them.

Especially the ones around Derby and Nottingham. Brings back so many great memories.

I know many are on Flicker as well but is nice to look at them along with the comments made by forum members.

As many have already said, even the ones which are not up to your usual high technical standard are still very interesting indeed and evocative. Hope we can see more of these in future.

• RMweb Gold

I have only just discovered this thread. Just Brilliant. Thank you very much indeed for posting them.

Especially the ones around Derby and Nottingham. Brings back so many great memories.

I know many are on Flicker as well but is nice to look at them along with the comments made by forum members.

As many have already said, even the ones which are not up to your usual high technical standard are still very interesting indeed and evocative. Hope we can see more of these in future.

At the moment I don't have any more black and white photos to post,  but there are some family albums at Mum's flat I haven't yet looked through.

But my colour photo thread is very much ongoing.

David

• RMweb Gold

At the moment I don't have any more black and white photos to post,  but there are some family albums at Mum's flat I haven't yet looked through.

But my colour photo thread is very much ongoing.

David

I already follow that one avidly!

Thanks for all of the pictures, Flicker included, and thanks for taking the time and making the effort to allow all of us to see them.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been following your other thread for a long time now but just discovered this one by accident which has caused me to spend several hours perusing it all from page 1 to page 30. Absolutely fascinating, I was only 7 in1949 but was already well into railways and got my first ABC in1951.

It's been great to see all those ex-PO wagons still bearing the remnants of their PO liveries, I can still remember them too. Interesting to see how many of them were distorted with bulging sides, not surprising considering their rough usage and age. At the bottom of our field were the sidings for Caton station on the Morecambe-Wennington line, I liked to check out the wagons there still bearing their makers plates in most cases, the age of some of them was quite amazing.

Thanks Dave for all your efforts with this and your current thread, they are both of tremendous interest not to mention their historic value.

Edward

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had a look at some family photo albums when I was visiting Mum recently and there are a few railway photos in them.  One day I'll bring them home and scan them, then they can be added here, but it may be some time.

Meanwhile the existing photos will reappear as the RMWeb indexing proceeds.

David

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I d like to say a big thank you for the time and effort you ve taken to scan and up load these photos Dave. I work  within the rail industry here in Derby and its been fantastic seeing what the railways here in the East Midlands were like in their hay day.  Myself and others like me no doubt appreciate the fact your father took photos of the real working railway, common goods locos, shunters etc, so often over looked by other photographers, who chose to photograph the important and fashionable trains and rolling stock of the time, and by doing so have produced a slightly distorted picture of railway workings for the following generations. Like the late David Hey's web site, l hope these images will become part of a national archive, so that future railway enthusiasts can see what it was really like.

I hope that there are possibly more of your fathers work to add in the future, and l for one will be coming back to these pages over and over again, as a source of inspiration for a long tiome to come

Thank you DaveF

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Dear Dave F,  do you own the Dufay colour slide of the blue Gresley Pacific on Grantham Pilot duty in 1948?  Is it for sale?  I would like to borrow it so that I can get it cleaned up and restored for my own slide shows.  This would also make the slide saleable in future railway books - Chris Youett.

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

I've sent you a PM.  IT should appear as a mark on the envelope symbol at the top right of the screen, it should also appear in your e mail.

It is an answer to your question.

David