Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

• RMweb Gold

Burton Salmon is where my son and I sometimes go photographing coal trains hauled by 66s

We stand on the loading bank, arrowed, which is still there - the rest of the station has been flattened sadly.

The train is heading for Monk Fryston but first it will cross over Hillam Gates level crossing which is a few hundred yards in front of it.

post-6662-0-65937900-1366834034.jpg

• Like 3

This afternoon's photos once again involve Nottingham, Grantham and Cambridge. As always Dad was taking advantage of his track pass.

attachicon.gifWilford Bridge River Trent GC V2 ex pass Manchester to Marylebone c1951 JVol3110.jpg

Wilford Bridge River Trent GC V2 ex pass Manchester to Marylebone c1951 JVol3110

David

Fantastic photos again but I suspect this is a down train rather than an up. If it was going to London it would be on the goods lines and I think we should be able to see Nottingham South Goods signal box.

Rob

Edited by Rob F
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic photos and a very big thankyou for sharing them with us.

This thread is an absolute must to view/read.

Kev.

:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic photos again but I suspect this is a down train rather than an up. If it was going to London it would be on the goods lines and I think we should be able to see Nottingham South Goods signal box.

Rob

Thanks rob,

You could well be right.  I honestly can't remember the location despite travelling over the bridge daily on the way to and from school in the late 50s!

I'll alter the caption.

Edit.  I've just found a trackplan/map of the location, I understand it much better now.    They are available at: 

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/planIndex.php

David

Edited by DaveF

Hi

These are some of the best photo i have seen covering the steam era,they capture the atmosphere and the look so well.

I love the shot of the westcountry and the young train spotter, amazing shot,I only wish i could have seen steam working like that young lad is looking at ,for just one day.

Thank you to your Dad for taking the shots and you for putting them up here for all of use to see.

Keep them coming.

All the best

Darren01

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This evenings batch are really a mixture.  Now and then I find a few album pages with a number of unrelated shots, tonight's selection is from such a page.

post-5613-0-85972100-1366912876_thumb.jpg

Lewes station colour print from slide c1951 JVol3130

post-5613-0-53524400-1366912851_thumb.jpg

London Victoria West Country 34101 Hartland Victoria to Dover c1952 JVol3131

post-5613-0-03776300-1366912862_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Ordnance depot by Lenton Junction  0-4-0DM c1950 JVol3152 -Chilwell

post-5613-0-45765100-1366912867_thumb.jpg

Scarborough cliff railway c1951 JVol3153

post-5613-0-42583200-1366912857_thumb.jpg

Loughborough Brush Works Co-Co diesel for Ceylon c1950 JVol3154

Taken from a train on the Great Central line.

post-5613-0-18937000-1366912871_thumb.jpg

Skegness terminus of miniature railway c1952 JVol3156

post-5613-0-88586300-1366912846_thumb.jpg

Kingston on Soar Peckett Lady Angela on gypsum railway c1952 JVol3157

This loco was built in 1926 for the gypsum mines, it is now preserved and can be seen on the South Devon Railway.  It is named after the second Lady Belper, the family owned the land round the gypsum quarry.

post-5613-0-40148400-1366912840_thumb.jpg

Brighton D3 32393 le c1950 JVol3158

Edited to correct and amend captions (and spelling).

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

This evenings batch are really a mixture.  Now and then I find a few album pages with a number of unrelated shots, tonight's selection is from such a page.

attachicon.gifNottingham Ordnance depot 0-4-0DM c1950 JVol3152.jpg

Nottingham Ordnance depot 0-4-0DM c1950 JVol3152 -Chilwell?

I'm not at all sure about this one as I have another similar print of Dad's with a note on the back saying it is an Industrial shunter near Lenton Junction.  Does any one know for sure?

The Royal Ordnance factory in Nottingham was next to Lenton Junction. It is now the NG2 Business park.

ROB

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Royal Ordnance factory in Nottingham was next to Lenton Junction. It is now the NG2 Business park.

ROB

Rob, Many thanks, it makes more sense now - I suspect he made the two prints I have of the location at different times and as they were for his own use only made a brief note on one of them.

David

I've not commented before, but I'm being fully entertained by these photos.

The quality f the prints just doesn't seem to matter: it's the subjects. Great to see photos that aren't just a succession of large express classes at the usual places.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That last picture of D3 32393, formerly named "Woodside", may be a little earlier. Bradley records it as withdrawn 9/51.  

Many thanks Ian, I know that from just after I was born until about 1953/4 we to Brighton at least once a year so it could well be 1950ish.  I was going by its juxtaposition in the album to the other photos some of which had a date pencilled on them - that one, of course, didn't.

David

• Like 1

JVol 3165 - 5 plank open and a wartime mineral conversion to open, both in mineral traffic again?  Pretty sure the lettering on the front of the ex-mineral says 'not to be used for mineral traffic'.

Both have replacement planks from thinner material as well, giving that recessed look.  Don't see that modelled, but then again it would be a to do.unless you're scratchbuilding.

• Like 1

IMHO this last batch is the best so far, and there has been some real competition! A light Pacific at Cambridge, and 2Ps at Nottingham Victoria!

• Like 1

IMHO this last batch is the best so far, and there has been some real competition! A light Pacific at Cambridge, and 2Ps at Nottingham Victoria!

The 2P will have come up the GN/LNW Joint line via Melton North. These services were diverted to Victoria from London Road Low Level in 1944.

ROB

• Like 1

The 2P will have come up the GN/LNW Joint line via Melton North. These services were diverted to Victoria from London Road Low Level in 1944.

ROB

Yes, I presumed that's how it would have got there - though I did have to check the closure date for London Road Low Level. What I meant was that I had never before seen any pictures of GN/LNW Joint line trains with LMS/ex-LMS engines in Victoria.

• Like 1

Despite spending 3 years at Loughborough Uni, I never could work out where the Charnwood Forest Line ran through Thorpe Acre. I never realised it was so close to the Ashby Road.

Hi Paul,

A lot of the trackbed still exists there to this day and is now a footpath and cyclepath that goes to the boundary of Garendon Park to the west of Thorpe Acre. Sadly the road bridge is gone though a waterpipe/bridge that went over the railway next to the road bridge is still present

If you go to Google Earth satellite view you can see the track and waterpipe/bridge - you can also get a reasonable view in Streetview at..............

52.769086°  -1.239268°

Its changed quite a bit since the days of the railway though !

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

A lot of the trackbed still exists there to this day and is now a footpath and cyclepath that goes to the boundary of Garendon Park to the west of Thorpe Acre. Sadly the road bridge is gone though a waterpipe/bridge that went over the railway next to the road bridge is still present

If you go to Google Earth satellite view you can see the track and waterpipe/bridge - you can also get a reasonable view in Streetview at..............

52.769086°  -1.239268°

Its changed quite a bit since the days of the railway though !

Cheers

Paul

This page/sitehttp://spacewarp.co.uk/bluebell/bluebell01.htm has some pictures of the surviving railway structures on the way out from Loughborough, although they are interspersed amongst some more inane snaps

Yes, I presumed that's how it would have got there - though I did have to check the closure date for London Road Low Level. What I meant was that I had never before seen any pictures of GN/LNW Joint line trains with LMS/ex-LMS engines in Victoria.

No, me neither!!

Rob